A Quick Poll Of Broadband Speeds

Stuart0742

What sort of average speed do you get from your broadband supplier

I currently average about 5Mb from Sky unlimited

I am considering passing on more of my hard earned cash to SKY for their Fibre Broadband, with the possibilty of 40Mb , wondering if it will be worth it.

I'd be happy to go back to a modem.

Is there a speedtest.com or something like that, no idea what speed I get - only send bits of text and a few pictures on here, carrier pidgeon would do me.

I'd be happy to go back to a modem.

Is there a speedtest.com or something like that, no idea what speed I get - only send bits of text and a few pictures on here, carrier pidgeon would do me.

Try http://www.speedtest.net/

This is quite a good test site

According to that test above I'm on just 3.30 :mellow:

So I'm going to look into that ;-)

Ping 57 ms or months or whatever, download 6.04 mbps, upload 0.65 mbps - it says.

Why might download be billions of times faster than upload ? Is it related to my subscription to NakedSheep.com ?

Ping 57 ms or months or whatever, download 6.04 mbps, upload 0.65 mbps - it says.

Virgin Media, 10 Mb. (going up to 20Mb in June) no phone or TV, £23 per month.

Pirate Bay now blocked, but got round that.

Thats similar to mine, as a rule of thumb Upload is usualy a tenth of your download, which is about right with your figures

Virgin Media, 10 Mb. (going up to 20Mb in June) no phone or TV, £23 per month.

Pirate Bay now blocked, but got round that.

Sky is £20 a month for an advertised 40Mb (to the cabinet)

Does not seem to bad

Would it be faster to upload in reverse gear ???

Thats similar to mine, as a rule of thumb Upload is usualy a tenth of your download, which is about right with your figures

I need to buy a cabinet too ? Ikea have any Bank Holiday deals ? What finishes do they have ... ? I like mahogany.

Sky is £20 a month for an advertised 40Mb (to the cabinet)

Does not seem to bad

A quick check with my nephew who is a BT chap, and he says that is the best I can get. This is due to the phone wire length from the cabinet. He says there's a better cabinet just a few streets away, but I would have to move house to connect with it!

He also says he spends a great deal of time talking to people who think they should be getting 10MB when like me they get 3! And there's nothing they can do about it.

So before you move to another supplier check you will get the speed offered first!

I also asked him about fibre broadband and if things like downloading books from Internet Archive would be quicker? He said not really!

You might only notice the difference if you have more than one computer and someone is downloading something like a TV show at the same time. It won't slow you down!!

Wait while it's cheaper is my motto on the new one!

My nephew should know these things too, because having seen the ratings on BT, he's one of the best BT engineers in the UK :o

By the way I'm with Plusnet. Who is owned by BT!

A quick check with my nephew who is a BT chap, and he says that is the best I can get. This is due to the phone wire length from the cabinet. He says there's a better cabinet just a few streets away, but I would have to move house to connect with it!

He also says he spends a great deal of time talking to people who think they should be getting 10MB when like me they get 3! And there's nothing they can do about it.

So before you move to another supplier check you will get the speed offered first!

I also asked him about fibre broadband and if things like downloading books from Internet Archive would be quicker? He said not really!

You might only notice the difference if you have more than one computer and someone is downloading something like a TV show at the same time. It won't slow you down!!

Wait while it's cheaper is my motto on the new one!

My nephew should know these things too, because having seen the ratings on BT, he's one of the best BT engineers in the UK :o

By the way I'm with Plusnet. Who is owned by BT!

I agree with what you say, (as an ex BT Engineer), it has been a bone of contention for years with Broadband speeds, the ISP's always quote an upto speed, which nobody can achieve on a copper line. My 5-6 Mb on SKY is probably the best I can expect on a copper line where I live. Sky could set it to a faster speed, but I would loose stability and get drop outs. ( I know as I have tried this with SKY Tech Support)

I know a guy who lives bang opposite a BT exchange, the best he gets is 17Mb on Sky's 20MB broadband.

In fact I believe Sky have now dropped the upto 20MB title and now brand there product as upto 14MB.

My problem is that I run 2 PC's my daughter has 1 PC and my son has more Tech and PC power in his room than some 3rd world countries, which on a 6 MB line does not share out well.

I am going to give Sky Fibre a go for £20 (£12.50 more than I am currently paying) they claim/state 40 MB to the cabinet, which is just around the corner from my house.

Got to be worth a punt

Virgin Media, 10 Mb. (going up to 20Mb in June)

Same as me Steve, upgrade to 20Mb is free as well.

I tried Stuarts link to the speedtest site, it came back with 9.87Mb download and 0.49 (490Kb) upload

Now, as VirginMedia advertise it as 10Mb and 512Kb, that's pretty close to what I should be getting anyway.

However, faster speeds do not always mean faster downloads, - it depends on the site and the connections made, and some of them can be very slow. the "bottleneck" is very rarely between your ISP and your computer, it is likely to be further downline.

In Stuarts case however, with several computers running simultaneously this would cause a slow down between ISP and computers if all being used and getting the ISP to increase the speed should do the trick.

Like Stuart says, its worth him giving it a shot.

Anyway, which 3rd world does your son have more expensive PC power than?

Is it Greece? Portugal? Ireland? or somewhere else that needs a bail out? lol

Where is the 3rd world anyway? I don't even know where the first 2 are? :huh: )

£20 a month, now a bloke who earns more than the annual GNP of the USA should be able to afford that! ;-)

.... now a bloke who earns more than the annual GNP of the USA should be able to afford that! ;-)

Coming from a teacher, mmm , wish I was on half a teachers salary

Coming from a teacher, mmm , wish I was on half a teachers salary

When I get my pension I will be on half a teachers salary! ;-)

Havn't a clue what it means ping -33ms--download speed 12.67mbps -upload speed 0.96mbps

Havn't a clue what it means ping -33ms--download speed 12.67mbps -upload speed 0.96mbps

Essentially it took 33milliseconds (0.033 seconds) for the site to respond to your request.

The site can send data to your computer at a rate of 12,670,000 bits (binary 1 and 0 digits, ons and offs) per second

You can send your data up to the site at 960,000 bits per second.

The site which carries out the test is based in Limerick in Ireland (or it was when I ran it)

I'm with Plusnet on their value package which only costs me £6.49 a month for a 10 Gb monthly limit.

My sync speed to the exchange remains pretty constant at just above 8 Mb/s and my download speed is usually about 6.6 Mb/s.

Considering I am about 3.5 km from the exchange and my download attenuation is about 46 dB I don't think that's bad going.

When I first connected I got around 3 Mb/s but by optimising the internal phone wiring and fitting a faceplate filter to my NTE5 master socket together with a decent router from Belkin (best router out of about 6 I've tried), I've got it up to where it is at present.

Plusnet do fibre for an extra 10 quid a month but unfortunately most of our estate is fed direct from the exchange (exchange only line) and therefore no local cabinet, no FTTC. I'll have to wait for FTTP to be rolled out but apparently that will cost "big bucks", so I probably shall not bother.

I can stream HD video at 6.6 Mb/s which will do for my present needs.

HD

I agree with what you say, (as an ex BT Engineer), it has been a bone of contention for years with Broadband speeds, the ISP's always quote an upto speed, which nobody can achieve on a copper line. My 5-6 Mb on SKY is probably the best I can expect on a copper line where I live. Sky could set it to a faster speed, but I would loose stability and get drop outs. ( I know as I have tried this with SKY Tech Support)

I know a guy who lives bang opposite a BT exchange, the best he gets is 17Mb on Sky's 20MB broadband.

In fact I believe Sky have now dropped the upto 20MB title and now brand there product as upto 14MB.

My problem is that I run 2 PC's my daughter has 1 PC and my son has more Tech and PC power in his room than some 3rd world countries, which on a 6 MB line does not share out well.

I am going to give Sky Fibre a go for £20 (£12.50 more than I am currently paying) they claim/state 40 MB to the cabinet, which is just around the corner from my house.

Got to be worth a punt

Had Sky Fibre broadband installed today

From switch on, using speedtest.net I am getting 37.5Mb/s download and about 1.7Mb/s upload, not bad, may change over the next few days as Sky stabilize to connection.

Quite impressed at the moment

You'll be needing more powdered newspapers soon then ? he he

Had Sky Fibre broadband installed today

From switch on, using speedtest.net I am getting 37.5Mb/s download and about 1.7Mb/s upload, not bad, may change over the next few days as Sky stabilize to connection.

Quite impressed at the moment

You'll be needing more powdered newspapers soon then ? he he

Just because he can upload them faster doesn't mean that he can scan them any faster does it.

You can only go as fast as the slowest link.

This soon becomes apparent in all Internet exchanges.

Just because he can upload them faster doesn't mean that he can scan them any faster does it.

You can only go as fast as the slowest link.

This soon becomes apparent in all Internet exchanges.

My fleet of scanners are still as slow as ever he he he he

My fleet of scanners are still as slow as ever he he he he

Good ones run at USB speed

Bad ones still work in baud rates and are exceptionally slow.

Good ones run at USB speed

Bad ones still work in baud rates and are exceptionally slow.

A scanner is only as quick as the actual scanning process size/resolution etc

The big scanner is powered from an external water wheel, so its a good job the drought has been cancelled.