Was This A Pub?

tozzin

Ive noticed this building on High St a few times & wondered was it a Pub but in my books the only one near it was the Bell (Up The Pasage) the upstairs windows seem to look like what pubs were built like in the late 1800s. I may be wrong but has anyone any idea to what this building was, shop or pub?

Guest binsted71

Blackamoor's Head, aka Grey Horse, 25 High Street.

Kemsley House next door, 13-23 High Street.

Blackamoor's Head, aka Grey Horse, 25 High Street.

Kemsley House next door, 13-23 High Street.

Ive found the pub now you have given me a name but what threw me was the maps in A PUB ON EVERY CORNER by Douglas Lamb and A PUB ON EVERY CORNER by W.A.Banks, it places the GREY HORSE among others down near king St ,more Angel St than HIgh St.

Ive found the pub now you have given me a name but what threw me was the maps in A PUB ON EVERY CORNER by Douglas Lamb and A PUB ON EVERY CORNER by W.A.Banks, it places the GREY HORSE among others down near king St ,more Angel St than HIgh St.

The Grey Horse looks to be roughly in the right area (opposite George St.)

on this map ..

pdf map 09

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that the building in tozzins photo was the Grey Horse.

Going by the maps the answer to the original question could well be no.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that the building in tozzins photo was the Grey Horse.

I thought it was the Blue Bell then again I'm not an expert on pubs. On second thoughts no The Blue Bell was a bit lower down. I looked at the map though and thought that little road at the side of The Blue bell might have been Aldine Court.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s00363%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUhpZ2hfU3RyZWV0JTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJnBhZ2U9Mw==

For discussion.

http://youle.info/history/fh_material/18C_sheffield/ch13.txt

I did find this interesting piece while searching.

I don't think the buildings on either side of high street go back very far. Certainly no more than about 100 years. I have seen local history books with more ramshackle buildings on that side and the other side was devastated in the war and they rebuilt with the building line moved back to make the street wider. Especially for the future which was the "civic circle".

The south side was femolished in the 1890's for street widening ("Fosters") then blown to smithereens in the Blitz, the north side took less damage (Walsh's, Marples) - neither however very old..

I don't think the buildings on either side of high street go back very far. Certainly no more than about 100 years. I have seen local history books with more ramshackle buildings on that side and the other side was devastated in the war and they rebuilt with the building line moved back to make the street wider. Especially for the future which was the "civic circle".

Got to feel sorriest for Walsh's, originally on the north side, moved to the south side, got squished for the road widening, then bombed to bits in the Blitz - is this fact or fiction - just a poser for fun/amusement - lets see who can research the best answer - answers from new members most welcomed - you other bunch, please bite yer lip.

The south side was femolished in the 1890's for street widening ("Fosters") then blown to smithereens in the Blitz, the north side took less damage (Walsh's, Marples) - neither however very old..