Looking For Mccarthys

Guest mickbash

Guest mickbash

Hi I'm looking for any infomation on the names Mccarthy they lived on eyre st/earl st sometime in 1840, also same name but lived abinger st attercliffe, cum darnal about 1880.

The 1841 Census for Sheffield is on the Sheffield Indexers site and it's free to search. However having checked it no McCarthys can be found. Unless the name is spelt wrong! Looked also on those names listed as living on Eyre Street for 1841. None match that name at all.

Some success with the 1881 Census, but not for Attercliffe.

PS Welcome to the site :)

By the way if you have a christian name of any of the members (if those on the census don't match) I can trawl Ancestry for you :) If you don't have access!

Hi I'm looking for any infomation on the names Mccarthy they lived on eyre st/earl st sometime in 1840, also same name but lived abinger st attercliffe, cum darnal about 1880.

1871 Census

Michael Mccarthy,

30 Earl Lane.

Guest mickbash

Hi thanks to you all for your help,I think it's the right family that I'm looking for. Now I'm trying to trace what happened to the son called micheal,so any help would be welcome as I'm a novice at this.Once again many thanks.

I believe all these relate to Michael.

They are his service records for WW1. He joined at 52. It seems he had been married before, but she was dead. No name given of her, but his daughter was married and he lived with her at Darnall, before the war.

Sadly he died whilst in the army at a hospital in Aldershot, from a heart attack.

His relatives list that he has no other family apart from his children.

Guest mickbash

Thank you for all the information, dont know you did it I've been trying for a while but with no luck. this man must be my great grandfather, my grandad Alfed Mccarthy lived with a Florence Sister, but I thought it was my grandads eldest sister and they moved up to the north east of england. Now I just need to do some more checking up to make sure it all ties in.

Guest mickbash

I have done some checking on the little bit of information I had on the name McCarthy and with the information you kind people put on here confirms that I am related to them on my mothers side of the family. Thanks again

Just seen your request. I have some information regarding Michael McCarthy. His 2nd child, John Henry Mccarthy was my great grandfather and I remember him well in the early 60's. Michael came from Limerick in Ireland and married Ellen Maria Nixon in Dover when he was serving in Dover with the 49th Foot at the South Downs Barracks. He later served with the Connaught Rangers in the Boar War in South Africa. They were married in November 1879 and their first child Emma was born in June 1880. You can work it out for yourself why they married. Michael served in Malta where 2 of the children were born. Ellen died in 1907 of Diabetes and was in a coma for 7 months. Michael was by her side when she passed away. They were living at Stovin Road, Attercliffe when she died. Michael appears in the 1911 census as a musician in County Durham. The attestation papers in 1915 were not accurate about his age or previous service, but another individual filled out the forms, so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Michael and Ellen are in the Tinsley Park Cemetery. They are buried together along with an unrelated individual, which tells you something about their financial circumstances. Michael has a war graves commission headstone marking his fall in the Great War.

If you want any more information then please let me know and I will gladly fill you in with whatever information I have

Kevin

Guest Russellsanderson

Kevin. Just stumbled across this after conversations with Mick on another forum. Your great grandads sister, Florence McCarthy was my mums grandma. We've been trying to find out about the McCarthys for years and between you and Mick we've found out more in the last couple of weeks than ever before. Any extra info you can give would be greatly appreciated. By the way...you're the double of my grandad - Henry McCarthy Lister (Florence's s son)!

Guest mickbash

Hi Kevin

Thanks for all the information on the McCarthys. Just need to check on a few points. The info I have says, that Michael McCarthy born Sheffield 1864,his father Michael McCarthy was born in Ireland 1834?.Michael (born Sheffield) his youngest son Alfred born 1895, Hucknal/Bulwell, Notts, is my granddad. On his birth certificate it states his father as a proffesional musician.I can send you the same copies that Iv'e sent Russell.My daughter has just moved to chesterfield.My e-mail address is mick.holmes3@btinternet.com.If you have anymore information.

Guest mickbash

More help needed please. can anyone got access to war records.I'm trying to find out more information on Michael McCarthy,he was in the 1st battalion of the Royal Berks,stationed in Malta somewhere about 1888.He had two children born there a Florence & William 1888 1893.His army number was 1373 and he was a private.Thats on Florences birth certificate.I know he enlisted again at the age of 52, as kindly found out by the member, History Dude.

Thanks for all the information on the McCarthys. Just need to check on a few points. The info I have says, that Michael McCarthy born Sheffield 1864,his father Michael McCarthy was born in Ireland 1834?.Michael (born Sheffield) his youngest son Alfred born 1895, Hucknal/Bulwell, Notts, is my granddad.

This is a different Michael McCarthy from the one illustrated in the attestation papers above. Alfred was the son of Michael McCarthy but the Michael born in 1858 in Limerick Ireland. Alfred was born in Hucknall in Nottinghamshire in 1896. He has a younger brother, Edward. Michael McCarthy met with Ellen Maria Nixon when she was with her father who was serving in Dover in 1879. They married and some months later Emma was born. Then John Henry, my great grandfather, follwed by Gertrude, William and Florence who were born in Malta. Lastly Alfred and Edward. Michael's grave is in Tinsley Park cemetery in Attercliffe.

Hope this helps .... Kevin

Guest mickbash

Thanks Kevin. Sorry it taken so long to reply,but I've only just found your reply.do you have any more information on Alfred. I think he could be my granddad.. I never new him but I was given a medal of his when I was a young kid, I had it up until about 10 years ago,but I don't know where it is. I remember it had his name and number and regiment around the edge. I remember it had RGA, I was told he was a gunner, I remember it was a long number.but that's all. Alfred married my nan,and had two children,one who died either in child birth or very young.the other was my mam. But he was already married when he married nan. I was told that the police called at their home and arrested him, and he was jailed. Apart from that information the only other things I was told,was that his family was Irish ,and that I was named Michael as that was a family name. Mam's side never liked to talk about him because he was a bigamist. I look forward to your reply,if you can help.

Guest Flojo

Hi. I have just found this thread. I am Connie Listers daughter. My mothers mum was Florence McCarthy she married my grand dad Harry Lister. I remember them telling me about Florence being born in Malta. On some of the census Lister is seen as Sister. But this is because of the writing...

My mother had quite a few brothers George, Harry John Thomas Sam and Jim.. All have now died including my mother. I lived at Turin Street where Michael Mcarthy had also lived. Not sure if any of this is helpful. Maybe some of you are my cousins or relative. My mother never talked about any of her aunts or uncles except someone called aunt Emma?

Guest mickbash

Hi Connie. Than you for your message. My side of the family is Alfred McCarthy,who was my granddad,on my mothers side. But it is hard trying to prove,but I'm 98% sure it's correct. Alfred was born in 1895-1896,in notts. He was the youngest or second youngest child of Michael McCarthy. He lived with Florence,when they lived in the North East. My nan never spoke of Alfred, as I was told,that he was all ready married,when he married her. That was in 1920. I was given a medal of his,when I was a kid,but I've lost it, this would confirm him as my granddad. I always remember it had his name ect on it.my mother told me that he was a gunner in ww1,I was named after a family member. He had two children with nan,one was a boy named William, born 1922, but died 1923, my mother was born in 1923. One day the police came and took him away. He came looking for my nan,but she had moved away, and he was told that both kids were dead. So I don't know what happened then.

If you have any information,concerning the family I would love to hear about it. I have a copy of Florence's birth certificate. As you may have seen by the message's , Kevin Stone is related to John Henry McCarthy, his great granddad, that was Michael McCarthy's eldest son. I have some information on the family as does Kevin .Look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards Mick