Grove House, Barnsley Road

Edmund

Hoping for assistance please! I'm looking for any information about Grove House on Barnsley Road. It was briefly mentioned in the post at:

The occupant in 1833 was William Wilkinson (gent) as listed in the White's Directory. William had inherited Crowder House some years previously, but the Crowder estate was rented out (advertisement in the ‘Independent’ in 1831), probably to George Barrett, cattle dealer etc. Barrett went bankrupt in 1841 and his unpaid rent meant that William had to mortgage the freehold of Crowder House to Thomas James Parker, William remaining as a tenant for life. In 1851 the land (57 acres) was being farmed by Mira, the eldest of William’s daughters, living at Crowder with 2 of her sisters, while her brother Walter was manufacturing shears in Sheffield. On William’s death in 1854 he left Longley Bottom House and its orchard to his widow Sarah (who would die in 1860). In May 1855 the family were dispossessed of the Crowder part of William's estate under an action of ejectment initiated by Parker and others. Bernard Wake then bought the estate from Parker by public auction on 2nd February 1857. There was ill-feeling between the Wilkinsons and the Wakes - reported in newspaper articles in August 1857 and February 1858 regarding court cases of apple stealing, trespass and boundary disputes.

I've looked at some old maps of the Barnsley Road area for Grove House, with no luck - possibly not old enough?. Any info would be much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

Grove House

Joseph Haywood, Solicitor; 6 Paradise Square, home Grove House, Pye Bank (1841)

Joseph Haywood, Gentleman, Grove House, Pye Bank (White's 1849)

and Joseph Haywood, J.P., Grove House, Pye Bank (White's 1852)

Thanks for the help. I was looking too far out of town, based on the 'Barnsley Road' address.

There seems to have been quite a throughput of well-to-do tenants over a short period - George Vickers, HW Pickard of the Royal Horse Artillery, Widow Kirkby, Geo Wilkinson and then Joseph Haywood. The contents of the house (some nice furniture etc) was sold at auction in 1831 by Bardwell the auctioneer.

On 08/05/2012 at 18:37, Edmund said:

Thanks for the help. I was looking too far out of town, based on the 'Barnsley Road' address.

There seems to have been quite a throughput of well-to-do tenants over a short period - George Vickers, HW Pickard of the Royal Horse Artillery, Widow Kirkby, Geo Wilkinson and then Joseph Haywood. The contents of the house (some nice furniture etc) was sold at auction in 1831 by Bardwell the auctioneer.

On 02/05/2012 at 23:10, RichardB said:

Grove House

Joseph Haywood, Solicitor; 6 Paradise Square, home Grove House, Pye Bank (1841)

Joseph Haywood, Gentleman, Grove House, Pye Bank (White's 1849)

and Joseph Haywood, J.P., Grove House, Pye Bank (White's 1852)

On 02/05/2012 at 23:08, SteveHB said:

post-188-0-19509200-1335967670_thumb.jpg

Apologies for bumping this old thread but I’m trying to trace my 4x great-grandfather Samuel Kirkby who lived here at Grove House in the early 1800s and my research lead me here. I was wondering if you had any more information about him, including his mysterious wife, or where you found the information about this house?
The extent of my knowledge is that he was a merchant and had five daughters: Marianne (b.1793), Sarah (b.1799), Eliza (b.1808), Emily (b.1813) and Eleanor (b. after 1914) and a son, Edward (b. 1809) who all seem to have lived or were born here.

Due to these dates, I suspect Samuel himself was born around the 1770s and either he or his wife were widowed and living at Grove House until the 1820’s sometime when one or either of them died. There seems to be another Samuel Kirkby, a younger silversmith who also lived in Sheffield at the time which makes tracking him down all the more difficult. I’d be so grateful for any help you could provide. Many thanks.

A few newspaper clippings for you here @Milicent.

They should help with narrowing down dates as it appears that Samuel died pre-1828. His wife died in 1832.

Grove House.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here is the sale information that @Edmund mentioned above. It seems that Samuel's wife (Sarah) had left Grove House the year before she died.

Grove House_3.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stu_1981 said:

Glad to help, sorry about the directory red herring! 

That’s fine, the more information the better! I’m slightly confused actually as there was a silversmith/fruit knife manufacturer called Samuel Kirkby who married a Sarah Hodgson (dates unknown), who was thrown off a horse and killed as referenced here: http://youle.info/history/fh_material/reminiscences_7.html

This article here also talks about a housekeeping book that passed to Sarah Hodgson, the widow of Samuel Kirkby who was “thrown from his gig when driving from service at Upper Chapel”.

I assumed this was another Samuel Kirkby & Sarah but it seems a bit of a coincidence that the Samuel of Grove House is buried at Upper Chapel, which is where the accident happened, and also left behind a wife called Sarah. 

5 minutes ago, Stu_1981 said:

Here is the sale information that @Edmund mentioned above. It seems that Samuel's wife (Sarah) had left Grove House the year before she died.

Grove House_3.jpg

This is great- thank you!

18 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Here's the newspaper account of Samuel's fatal accident

91261116_SamlKirkbyAccident1812.png.9b5c4dec5a93d2489c6ab6df9b49dbd1.png

Thanks so much, this confirms so much. Such a sad story but I’m so glad to know what happened to him.

6 hours ago, Edmund said:

Here's the newspaper account of Samuel's fatal accident

91261116_SamlKirkbyAccident1812.png.9b5c4dec5a93d2489c6ab6df9b49dbd1.png

"William Darling recovered and held the Three Whitesmiths, cetainly until 1822"

Three Whitesmiths, 1 Bridge Street.

Great find, thanks ever so much!
I think that has to be misprint as the Hull Advertiser reports that the wife of Samuel Kirbky of Grove House died in 1831 which fits with the timeline of their children. I think the Times article is meant to be referring to Samuel Kirkby’s son who was also called Samuel (b. 1795, d. 1855) and was probably born at Grove House.

On 25/07/2020 at 14:13, Milicent said:

Great find, thanks ever so much!
I think that has to be misprint as the Hull Advertiser reports that the wife of Samuel Kirbky of Grove House died in 1831 which fits with the timeline of their children. I think the Times article is meant to be referring to Samuel Kirkby’s son who was also called Samuel (b. 1795, d. 1855) and was probably born at Grove House.

Here's Samuel Kirkby juniors christening record(Nantwich Presbyterian Chapel) also Mariann's record. and a letter with Kirkby connections. 

Samuel Kirkby.jpg

Mariann Kirkby.jpg

Nantwich(1).jpg

Nantwich(2).jpg

Plan of the freehold estate at Grove House [Pitsmoor Road] as divided for sale. 1831.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04197&pos=10&action=zoom&id=105073

Shows turnpike road from Leeds to Sheffield, also [property of] William Howard, late Joseph Coulson, and Jonathan Marshall. Also Grove House, garden, pond, Birley’s charity land, and Far Close.

When reports referred to "Barnsley Road" meaning "the road to Barnsley" at this time it refers to the Turnpike Road to Barnsley along what is now Pitsmoor Road. 

Late Samuel Kirkby. Pye Bank Closes held by Joseph Hawksley and Robert Sands. 1800

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc03688&pos=6&action=zoom&id=99259

Boundary between Robert Sands and the late Samuel Kirkby, [Pitsmoor Road] 1818

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc03689&pos=7&action=zoom&id=99260