Ambrose Shardlow

bunny92

Hi, im new to this site, but was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a solid silver and enamel badge left to me by my father. I believe it belonged to his father, Joseph William Eyre. It shows the Sheffield crest with A.S.S.C above and SHEFFIELD below. I have been talking on Sheffield Forum and on Sheffield Indexers about this. The main idea is that is possibly stands for Ambrose Shardlow Silver Cup, or Ambrose Shardlow Sports Club. If it is just a sports club badge, I wouldnt have thought they would have issued hallmarked silver badges. The hallmark is Birmingham 1909.

We have eliminated the idea that it was a football badge because it would have had the year i.e. 1909/10.

The only sport my grandfather was interested in as far as I am aware was golf, he won the 2nd class finals at Tinsley Park Golf Club in 1928.

The other possibility was suggested on Sheffield Forums, and that is it could be something to do with Attercliffe, my grandfather was born and brought up in Attercliffe.

Any ideas?

This is a picture of the badge.

Hi bunny92

Sadly this does not answer your question but it could be your Grand Father ?.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Wednesday, September 03, 1879

Welcome to Sheffield History.

I dont think that was my grandfather, according to Sheffield Indexers, they looked on the 1911 census and told me that granddad was born in abt 1888, and I suppose there were a lot of Eyre's in and around Sheffield as it was a local Sheffield/Derbyshire name.

Thanks for trying though, this is getting really interesting, and I am getting the urge to try to research our family, Not sure where it will take me or how far I will get, but it will be fun having a go.

Thankyou for the welcome :)