The Blue Moon

southside

Where was the Blue Moon? I remember walking on Nursery Street and turning into a side Street and going into a pub near to the Blue Moon club. We went to see Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders,it was some time in the early sixties.

Guest Atom Retro

The Blue Moon club was on Johnson Street, Wicker, Sheffield 3. Peter Stringfellow opened the club at the end of 1963 after The Beatles gig at the Azena Ballroom. The Kinks played on the opening night.

Yep thats right. The club was an old warehouse type building I seem to remember. The Kinks playing in a warehouse! Some of the clubs which sprang up in the early sixties were some of the most weird, amazing (and sometimes awful) places that you could ever wish to hear good sounds in, see good bands in, and have good time in!.

You'd never get away with it now. Mind you thats not hard with the health and safety/PC nanny state we are turning into now!

loved Blue Moon, first date with my wife in 1964 ,the band we saw was the Druids

I was there for the Kinks. Ray Davis mentioned this in an interview some years later.  How fainted girls were passed overhead to safety. Also I saw a fantastic group from Manchester called the Blue Giants. Never heard any more of them. Great times. Sunday night's. Living at Beighton I had to leave before the end to catch the last bus though.