Os Maps 1950

tozzin

On map 21 showing Prospect Rd and Havelock bridge, could anybody tell me what the initials BM stand for I suspect the the Nos 237&239 ARE THE PROPERTY NUMBERS a friend of mine used to live there when she was a girl and shes sure it was once a pub as it had a large ballroom at the back but in all my books I cant find any referance of a pub being on that site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On map 21 showing Prospect Rd and Havelock bridge, could anybody tell me what the initials BM stand for I suspect the the Nos 237&239 ARE THE PROPERTY NUMBERS a friend of mine used to live there when she was a girl and shes sure it was once a pub as it had a large ballroom at the back but in all my books I cant find any referance of a pub being on that site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BM is Benchmark, they are quite common, I am sure we have a topic about them, see http://benchmarks.or...4523044::NO:3::

1925 Kelly's.

Prospect Road.

2 Tesh Joseph William, butcher.

4 Coldwell Fredk Jn 0 boot ma.

Myrtle Road.

2 Kennedy John Wm. labourer.

4 Cawthorne William Edwd.grocr.

The Sheffield Independent published an advertisement on 26th March 1895 as follows:

DANCING - ADULT LEARNERS CLASS again forming. Private House. Separate Rooms and assistants for beginners. Progress guaranteed. - 2 Myrtle Road, Havelock Bridge.

At the 1911 census, Ruth Theaker, Teacher of Dancing (age 55) lived at 2 Myrtle Road with her husband Henry, an ironmonger. By 1911 she was teaching drawing there rather than dancing.

On January 28th 1899 the Independent advertised:

St.VALENTINE'S Seventh Annual FANCY DRESS BALL, Cambridge Hall, TUESDAY, Feb 14. Dancing 8p.m. to 3a.m. Tickets 2s 6d each from Theaker's Academy of Dancing, 2 Myrtle Road. Fancy Dress optional.

So Myrtle Rd is sinking? 237.9 in 1903 and 237.39 in 1953!

Or sea levels are rising? I'll get me ark...

As global warming kicks in and the sea level rises, London will become a swamp, so, where is the new capital Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds or Sheffield ? Your opinions welcomed. he he

Or sea levels are rising? I'll get me ark...

As global warming kicks in and the sea level rises, London will become a swamp, so, where is the new capital Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds or Sheffield ? Your opinions welcomed. he he

I live on high land overlooking the Sheaf Valley, will be quite picturesque when the valley flood with the higher sea levels, I imagine it will be a bit like a Cornish river estuary, like around Dartmouth and Helston

I live on high land overlooking the Sheaf Valley, will be quite picturesque when the valley flood with the higher sea levels, I imagine it will be a bit like a Cornish river estuary, like around Dartmouth and Helston

lol

It is estimated that a total melt of all the polar ice caps and the water run off would create a 70 metre rise in sea level

This animation shows what a devastating effect that would have on northern Europe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skMO4GN1rns

According to Steve's picture it will be more like Venice.

Manchester or Birmingham then.

It is estimated that a total melt of all the polar ice caps and the water run off would create a 70 metre rise in sea level

This animation shows what a devastating effect that would have on northern Europe

According to Steve's picture it will be more like Venice.

I was thinking more out in the wooded valley of the Sheaf

Look at the map Stuart, the whole of Sheffield will be gone.

The only dry land is at Blackpool, and that's on top of the tower.

Worryingly, as well as issues with population shift and rehousing to higher ground out of flooded areas, the land lost is all low lying very fertile arable farmland, like Lincolnshire and East Anglia, the bits left are rugged and mountainous (Wales and Scotland, - say no more!!) and could not be used to grow crops on. Growing our own food, to feed a population forced out and concentrated on hilly, rocky land would be difficult.

Manchester or Birmingham then.

Things would be a lot worse if we were Dutch or Danish.

Flamders (northern Belgium) and northern Germany don't fare so well either.

Suddenly the Czech Republic looks very inviting (it is a nice place, went there last summer)

That theory about the polar ice is flawed. It would work IF the polar ice were located on land but it isn't, it's floating on the sea and as such is already part of it. If it thaws it just becomes liquid instead of ice but is still part of the sea, therefore does not add to it or the level. So don't go out buying that Gondola just yet.

That theory about the polar ice is flawed. It would work IF the polar ice were located on land but it isn't, it's floating on the sea and as such is already part of it. If it thaws it just becomes liquid instead of ice but is still part of the sea, therefore does not add to it or the level. So don't go out buying that Gondola just yet.

Not entirely true.

It is true of the Arctic Ocean but Greenland, Northern Asia and North America are large ice covered land masses which are part of the arctic polar ice cap and the meltwater run off from these would add to the sea level.

In the southern hemisphere the whole land continent of Antarctica is covered in ice to considerable depth. The run off from this, leaving Antarctica as rocky land without ice would add even more to the sea level.

That's the geography of it, which is in favour of sea level increase. However, science is partially in favour of the opposite as you are claiming.

Ice is less dense than water (it floats in water, but 90% submerged), water expands when it freezes so ice CONTRACTS when it melts. This means that if all the ice floating in the sea melted it's volume would decrease and sea levels would have to fall.

However, both of these are arguments that scientists, geographers and environmentalists are well aware of and it is not beyond any of their abilities to take all these factors into account and obtain a "balance of how much each factor made make the sea level rise or fall.

All seem pretty much agreed on the outcome of the balance of factors, - sea levels will rise.

If mathematicians get in on the calculations and put some numbers in to quantify it, then the best estimate is that if all the polar ice caps ice melted (the polar temperature didn't drop below 0degC) then the current sea level would rise by about 70 metres.

There would probably still be a hosepipe ban in most of Britain though! lol

So don't go out buying that Gondola just yet.

More liquid water and higher temperatures mean more evaporation causing the air to saturate with water vapour.

Water vapour is a greenhouse gas and would cause further warming and more evaporation.

Once saturated with water vapour cloud formation and heavy rain, similar to the tropical rain storms would be frequent.

So forget the Gondola, I'm thinking of building an Ark lol

I'm alright Jack he he

Look at the map Stuart, the whole of Sheffield will be gone.

The only dry land is at Blackpool, and that's on top of the tower.

Worryingly, as well as issues with population shift and rehousing to higher ground out of flooded areas, the land lost is all low lying very fertile arable farmland, like Lincolnshire and East Anglia, the bits left are rugged and mountainous (Wales and Scotland, - say no more!!) and could not be used to grow crops on. Growing our own food, to feed a population forced out and concentrated on hilly, rocky land would be difficult.

There is one consolation in a 70 metre rise in sea level - mountains will be 70 metres lower and it won't be so far to get to the seaside.

There is one consolation in a 70 metre rise in sea level - mountains will be 70 metres lower and it won't be so far to get to the seaside.

Welcome to Sheffield History Dave Hitchborne and thank you for posting.

Looks like we are both "DaveH" around here.

Thats an intersting looking camera in your avitar, - a 1970's looking SLR

A Minolta perhaps?

It's a drawing I did in CorelDraw of a Minolta SRT 101

It's lost a bit in the coversion to bitmap.

Thank you, but we've already met on the forum. I'll leave you to look that up ;-)