Post War Sheffield Street Map

Stuart0742

Here is another Street Map of Sheffield

Looks Post War (WW2)

Anybody date it more acurately

No Norfolk Park Estate, makes it pre 1966-ish

No Herdings estate, makes it pre 1959-ish

Arbourthorne and Manor estates intact, makes it post 1936-ish

Arbourthorne has the cul de sac Algar Place and Algar Drive included, these were built in 1946 for temporary prefabricated housing. Although these streets are still there today interestingly Algar Place has a small side arm shown which gave access to a row of prefabs and was removed when the current Finnegan houses replaced the original prefabs in 1966-7

Taking all this into account gives me an earliest guess at 1946 (Algars built for prefabrication) and a most recent guess at 1959 (Herdings missing)

It's probably a 1950's map

With madannies street info taken into account as well, that gives us 1954 to 1959 as the range from building in southeast suburban Sheffield.

Definately a 1950's map then, and down to just a 5 year range.

Is that another delivered by the "Sweet-Gene-Vincent, not-more-old-rubbish-through-the-post-Fairie" ?

Here is another Street Map of Sheffield

Looks Post War (WW2)

Anybody date it more acurately

Is that another delivered by the "Sweet-Gene-Vincent, not-more-old-rubbish-through-the-post-Fairie" ?

Thats the one

50's I would think i have the same one

Hey Stuart,

If this map is 1954-59 then it is the same age as us :o

...But it's in better condition for its age than either of us!! :angry:

However, I suppose it shows the Sheffield that we were born into.

Guest plain talker

With madannies street info taken into account as well, that gives us 1954 to 1959 as the range from building in southeast suburban Sheffield.

Definately a 1950's map then, and down to just a 5 year range.

I think I can narrow it down even further for you.

There's no Gleadless Valley Estate, either, as far as I can see. I can confirm that Gaunt Close was completed by 1957, as my Grandparents moved with my father and my uncles into a brand spanking new house that year, when their home on Fawcett Street was Slum-clearanced.

therefore we can say it was made AFTER 1954 (Kirby Drive) but BEFORE Gaunt Close (1957) giving us a 3-year window in the mid 1950s.

I think I can narrow it down even further for you.

There's no Gleadless Valley Estate, either, as far as I can see. I can confirm that Gaunt Close was completed by 1957, as my Grandparents moved with my father and my uncles into a brand spanking new house that year, when their home on Fawcett Street was Slum-clearanced.

therefore we can say it was made AFTER 1954 (Kirby Drive) but BEFORE Gaunt Close (1957) giving us a 3-year window in the mid 1950s.

Excellent work plain talker, - a range of years which exactly brackets the dates of birth of both me and Stuart.

Maybe I can help - my wife went to Hurlfield Girls Secondary Modern School, which is missing from the map. She tells me it was built in 1954, and was situated on the SE side of Hurlfield Road, just north of its junction with Arbourthorne Road.

Maybe I can help - my wife went to Hurlfield Girls Secondary Modern School, which is missing from the map. She tells me it was built in 1954, and was situated on the SE side of Hurlfield Road, just north of its junction with Arbourthorne Road.

Welcome to Sheffield History and thank you for posting this information.

It means the newest date for the map must be 1954, just before Hurlfield Girls was built, so the map is almost certainly 1954 to the year.

Hurlfield Girls lasted from 1954 to 1969 when it went co-educational and comprehensive. At this point, rather than teaming up with Hurlfield Boys to become mixed sex it teamed up instead with the Central Technical School which had been on Gleadless Road since 1961 and with which it shared a very large playing field area. The combined school was called Ashleigh and the old Hurlfield Girls school was their lower school building, This lasted until 1988 when with falling rolls and tight budgets the Hurlfield Girls building was demolished and the site sold off to build a small housing estate. The remaining part of Ashleigh, the old Central Technical School building, lasted under the Myrtle Springs name until meeting a similar fate in the late 1990's.

There is more about alll these local schools in topics in the schools section.

Hurlfield Girls lasted from 1954 to 1969 when it went co-educational and comprehensive. At this point, rather than teaming up with Hurlfield Boys to become mixed sex it teamed up instead with the Central Technical School which had been on Gleadless Road since 1961 and with which it shared a very large playing field area. The combined school was called Ashleigh and the old Hurlfield Girls school was their lower school building,

I was a pupil at the Central Technical School from September 1961 until Christmas 1962 and I can assure you that the school was still entirely based in the city centre. There was talk of a move to a site at Gleadless but no sign of any activity in that direction. I think the earliest date would be September 1962.

HD

I was a pupil at the Central Technical School from September 1961 until Christmas 1962 and I can assure you that the school was still entirely based in the city centre. There was talk of a move to a site at Gleadless but no sign of any activity in that direction. I think the earliest date would be September 1962.

HD

You are probably right hilldweller about the time they started taking students from the original, and more central, CTS.

However, I attended there in the early 1970's for 6th form and the year 1961 was always given for the foundation date of the "new school"

I wonder if they got the earlier 1961 date from a foundation stone and that this is the year the school was actually built.

I know from a post in the Norfolk School topic (my other school), that we were always told the school was built in 1935-6, however wayneybabes has posted a copy of the official opening booklet and it didn't open to students until 1937.

I know from a post in the Norfolk School topic (my other school), that we were always told the school was built in 1935-6, however wayneybabes has posted a copy of the official opening booklet and it didn't open to students until 1937.

Oh, - Norfolk school IS on the map so the map is well after the 1935 - 37 period, - but we knew that already.