This is his full entitlement.

Son of Thomas Henry and Jane E Salkeld

Of 151 Church Street Kimberworth Rotherham

Born Kimberworth

Enlisted Sheffield

KIA Saturday 1st July 1916 Age 24

(Sheffield pals)

Attack on Serre

On the 1st July 1916 the 12th Bn York and Lancs attacked from their starting point north of

John copse. Owing to the width here of no mans land they climbed out of their front line trenches through gaps cut in their own wire before zero hour, intending to lie in no man’s land before advancing to capture the village of Serre, they were immediately subjected to machine gun and artillery fire.

At 0730 when the leading waves stood up to advance the fire increased and only a hand full of troops reached the German front line barley 400m away. As they advanced they were subjected to heavy machine gun and artillery fire from Serre village and fell in there hundreds, British observers anxiously trying to evaluate the progress of the infantry reported that some 80 to 100 men, possibly a mixture of 12/York and Lancs & 11/E Lancs were seen entering the village of Serre. This news spread like wildfire and soon reports of it’s imminent capture was in the British newspapers but these brave men were never seen alive again

On 13th November a few British troops briefly entered Serre and found bodies of some of the men of the 12th Bn still lying in the north west of the village where they had fallen on the 1st of July

Charles Salkeld was killed in this attack.

He has no known grave and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial

£540, 3 days remaining, 4 bids

I find it disturbing when things like this come up. Sometimes it's family reluctantly putting treasured memories up for sale when they're in need, and that's understandable. But when these things are traded between dealers and collectors I find it somewhat obscene. But perhaps that's just me.

I agree Bayleaf; I just put links up because the items are of interest. Of course, it's not me buying or selling the items, but, the trade in such things does go on.

I didn't mean you Richard, just a general observation. If you bring up the subject it gives people (me) a chance to voice their objection!

First day battle of the Somme casualty pair to

12/1038 Lance Corporal Charles Henry Salkeld

12th Bn York and Lancaster Regiment

This is his full entitlement.

Son of Thomas Henry and Jane E Salkeld

Of 151 Church Street Kimberworth Rotherham

Born Kimberworth

Enlisted Sheffield

KIA Saturday 1st July 1916 Age 24

(Sheffield pals)

Attack on Serre

On the 1st July 1916 the 12th Bn York and Lancs attacked from their starting point north of

John copse. Owing to the width here of no mans land they climbed out of their front line trenches through gaps cut in their own wire before zero hour, intending to lie in no man’s land before advancing to capture the village of Serre, they were immediately subjected to machine gun and artillery fire.

At 0730 when the leading waves stood up to advance the fire increased and only a hand full of troops reached the German front line barley 400m away. As they advanced they were subjected to heavy machine gun and artillery fire from Serre village and fell in there hundreds, British observers anxiously trying to evaluate the progress of the infantry reported that some 80 to 100 men, possibly a mixture of 12/York and Lancs & 11/E Lancs were seen entering the village of Serre. This news spread like wildfire and soon reports of it’s imminent capture was in the British newspapers but these brave men were never seen alive again

On 13th November a few British troops briefly entered Serre and found bodies of some of the men of the 12th Bn still lying in the north west of the village where they had fallen on the 1st of July

Charles Salkeld was killed in this attack.

He has no known grave and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial

£540, 3 days remaining, 4 bids

Went for £861