What School Did You Go To And Has It Changed Much Since You Left ?

Sheffield History

Guest shelagh scholfield

Unfortunately I dont recognise any of the children in the photo.Do you know which year it was?Do you know any of the names? They might be brothers and sisters of people in my class. I was born in 1950.

You've changed a lot over the years judging by your avatar, H Dude? ;-)

Yes, and he looks younger now than he did in the 16th century! lol

Guest shelagh scholfield

These are the names I remember from Philadelphia school.Dorothy Hanson ,Malcolm Leesley.Malcolm Thackery The Archer twins.Paul Smith. Carol Murphy.Jennifer Gledall.Christine Smart.Lois Sheldon.Victor Smith.Monica Barton .Sandra Skelton.These children were in the same class as me.Does anyone recognise their names? Can anyone add to the list?

These are the names I remember from Philadelphia school.Dorothy Hanson ,Malcolm Leesley.Malcolm Thackery The Archer twins.Paul Smith. Carol Murphy.Jennifer Gledall.Christine Smart.Lois Sheldon.Victor Smith.Monica Barton .Sandra Skelton.These children were in the same class as me.Does anyone recognise their names? Can anyone add to the list?

Should that be Sandra Skillington, next to the bakers Cross Bedford St.

I remember the Smarts and Graham Ernshaw, Alan Lee, Anne Davis, Catherine M'Grath. I thought Malcom Leeslley were a bit older than these though.

Did you move on to Chaucer?

Guest shelagh scholfield

yes you are right!It was Sandra Skillington and she did live near the bakers,I did move to Chaucer for a while.Two other names came to mind,Susan Platt and Rhona Horsefall. I am sure Malcolm Leesley was in my class.Perhaps he had an older brother.Are there any photos?I dont remember any group photos being taken .I dont recall anyone passing the 11 plus apart from the caretakers daughter who lived in a house in the lower playground. At one time school dinners were served in a hall next to the caretakers house.This is great for my memory,I am recalling things I had not thought about since I was at school.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Guest shelagh scholfield

Should that be Sandra Skillington, next to the bakers Cross Bedford St.

Thanks for putting me straight.

Guest shelagh scholfield

I really love that photograph.The children have real character in their faces. Does anyone have any idea which year it was taken?

Guest rainbowforge

hi everyone,

i went to rainbowforge infants then junior school in hackenthorpe during the mid late 1960's early 70's and remember my mum being a dinner lady. also remember the headmistres mrs canter who drove a gold coloured hb vauxhall viva h reg.

both these schools have now been knocked down for housing.

i can also recall walking down pigs lane each day to get to school and trying to pull a sicky on sports day.

i remember getting a black eye from martyn morley and having to stand up in front of everyone in assembely to be told off for fighting. other people i remember are john tipper, harold riley, and someone called sally who i had a crush on.

moved to westfield township halfway early 70,s and went to westfield lower school at halfway. this had classrooms with windows for walls, lots of little panes of glass to look out of, day dream then get told off from mr kirk the geography teacher who used to wear a black gown and threatened us with the cane which he would carry around with him.

i remember the air raid shelters at the front of the school by the sports field which were bricked up.

this school was knocked down for housing mid late 70's i think.

then went to westfield upper school early to mid 70's leaving in 77. i remember criag greensmith, darren capps, peter stanley, steven bestall.

i also recall the different blocks like h j k etc and the pile of coal outside a block. i had to run across it.

i think the headmaster was mr cross, also remember mr green and mr betts the sports teacher who gave me the slipper for fighting in the changing rooms of the swiming baths.

there was a history teacher whose name escapes me but he drove a light blue jaguar 1969 model. he always seemed to be ex raf for some reason.

this school as also bee knocked down.

happy days

This one's for shelagh.

Top Row, Left to Right

Beryl Woodward, Lilian Pitts, Pauline Walton, Margaret Shaw, Anne Self.

Middle, Left to Right

Ivy Wild, Barbara Sanderson, Sylvia Hanley, Pauline Hayes, Kathleen Laycock, Rosana Lilley.

Bottom Row, Left to Right.

Pauline Phoenix, ???? Sandra Foulstone.

Guest binsted71

This one's for shelagh.

Top Row, Left to Right

Beryl Woodward, Lilian Pitts, Pauline Walton, Margaret Shaw, Anne Self.

Middle, Left to Right

Ivy Wild, Barbara Sanderson, Sylvia Hanley, Pauline Hayes, Kathleen Laycock, Rosana Lilley.

Bottom Row, Left to Right.

Pauline Phoenix, ???? Sandra Foulstone.

Ivy Wild is now Ivy Wilson and lives at Stannington. I worked with her husband David a few years ago.

Guest shelagh scholfield

Thanks for the photo.Did Sandra Foulstone live in Albert Terrace Rd? I thought their name was Folkston .My mother tells me the people in the bakery were called Raynor or Rainor. I wish I had an old Kellys directory.It would be great for jogging the memory. There was another girl in my class called Monica Barton.She lived next door to me.She lived in Stevensons coal yard.Her father was a driver for them.My sister Dorothy worked with June Foulstone at Wigfalls but she can't remember where she lived.You have a great memory.Thanks again for the photo.I posted a photo on a site called VE Day It was taken on Bedford st on VE Day At a street party. Perhaps a relative of yours was there?

Thanks for the photo.Did Sandra Foulstone live in Albert Terrace Rd? I thought their name was Folkston .My mother tells me the people in the bakery were called Raynor or Rainor. I wish I had an old Kellys directory.It would be great for jogging the memory. There was another girl in my class called Monica Barton.She lived next door to me.She lived in Stevensons coal yard.Her father was a driver for them.My sister Dorothy worked with June Foulstone at Wigfalls but she can't remember where she lived.You have a great memory.Thanks again for the photo.I posted a photo on a site called VE Day It was taken on Bedford st on VE Day At a street party. Perhaps a relative of yours was there?

Few names I remember from that area, Paul Deakin, Geoffrey Fellows, Tony Copeland, John Archer and the twins, the Williams Gerald -Ray .

Thanks Steve, I know some of the names, Hanson, Foulstone, Hartley and the England family.

Few names I remember from that area, Paul Deakin, Geoffrey Fellows, Tony Copeland, John Archer and the twins, the Williams Gerald -Ray .

I know the Fellows and a Barry Copeland, must be Tony's brother.

I know the Fellows and a Barry Copeland, must be Tony's brother.

Barry was Tony's older brother, was told he died around 1990.

Went to Owler Lane infants for a short while (now demolished), Shiregreen Infants and juniors (now demolished) and then City Grammar which later moved to Stradbrooke and became ?City School.

Loved Owler Lane infants and had to be dragged into Shiregreen infants by the headmistress and another teacher when we moved house. Enjoyed the juniors there. Miss Rammage 1st year, Miss Hayward 2nd year, Mr Ludbrooke 3rd year and Mr Norman Coombs 4th year. Mr Ludbrooke and Mr Coombs were lovely teachers. Mrs Hill took the girls for sewing. Does anyone any group photos at all? (mid 1950s - shush! ) Sadly my mother would not pay out for school photos. I have just one taken when I was five years old wearing a navy blue dress with white kangaroos on it. You didn't know there were white kangaroos when I wer'a lass, did yer?

Lyn

Owler Lane Infants was my first school too. Like Lyn, I was only there a short time until we moved and I went to Longley infants.

I can't remember much about Owler Lane. I must have been absent most of the time, as during my time there I managed to contract every childhood illness in the book, except mumps, but including scarlet fever!

What I do remember is what seemed like huge flights of steps from the lower playground up to the school, and the smell of chalk and small children en masse.

I enjoyed Longley Infants and Juniors. I remember my first teacher there (though not her name). She seemed very old, and spent a lot of time for weeks painting scenes from Disney films on the bottom panes of the windows, while a teaching assistant took the class. I also remember her dashing from the room in floods of tears when she heard King George VI had died.

I remember the Juniors better. There was Mrs Cain, whose son was in our class. Mr Consterdine, who we had for the 3rd and 4th years cramming for the 11 plus; 'Pop' Mason, Miss Kay, and Miss Chappell the head, who was quite stern but very nice really. In the summer we had a whole-school rounders tournament, and Miss Chappell presided from an armchair brought out from her study.

I remember on a couple of occasions coming home in the dark in the summer, caused by the smoke trapped under the cloud cover.

Then I went to Firth Park Grammar, the Redcaps. I can't in all honesty say I enjoyed my time there. A few of the teachers were OK, but I got the impression from some that housing estate kids were beyond the pale.

Shortly after I left it became a Comp, and became co-ed, with Gurls!

Guest shelagh scholfield

I also recognise those names ,The Fellowes lived next to the chip shop on Penistone rd.Their back door was in a yard at the bottom of North St.They were a large family.I think Geoffrey was the only boy.There was Beryl , Doreen ,Shirley.I was about eight when one of the girls put metal tongues in the fire to curl my hair. There was a terrible smell of singed hair.Mrs Fellows went with my mother to the wash house attached to Upperthorpe Baths.They each pushed a big old pram.That pram was also used to carry coke from the gas works.I recall going to get it with one of the Fellows girls.

Guest binsted71

I also recognise those names ,The Fellowes lived next to the chip shop on Penistone rd.Their back door was in a yard at the bottom of North St.They were a large family.I think Geoffrey was the only boy.There was Beryl , Doreen ,Shirley.I was about eight when one of the girls put metal tongues in the fire to curl my hair. There was a terrible smell of singed hair.Mrs Fellows went with my mother to the wash house attached to Upperthorpe Baths.They each pushed a big old pram.That pram was also used to carry coke from the gas works.I recall going to get it with one of the Fellows girls.

There was a Malcolm Fellows in my class at Philadelphia. Was he part of the same family?

There was a Malcolm Fellows in my class at Philadelphia. Was he part of the same family?

I believe he was, there were also a Wendy Fellows and I'm not sure but there could have been a Janet.

I will check with my older sister [ you know who ;-) ] she remembers them all.

Guest binsted71

I believe he was, there were also a Wendy Fellows and I'm not sure but there could have been a Janet.

I will check with my older sister [ you know who ;-) ] she remembers them all.

Thank you. Please give my best wishes to "I know who;-".

Malcom Fellows is the brother of Brenda and there may have been a Shirley.

Brenda is on the picture below.

Top Row. Left to Right.

Peter Castledine. Peter Kempton. Barry Nash, ???? George Weldrick. Lawrence Brown.

Middle Row . Left to Right

David Tricket. Raymond Dickinson. Leslie Poulton.David Mallinson. Rodney Thompson. D . Fairbanks,

Bottom Row. Left to Right.

Jaqueline Roe. Joyce Carr. Rosalind Woollen. Edith Hartley. Brenda Fellows. Christine Littlewood.