Bring Back The Statues

Bayleaf

Now that we have some fine open spaces in the city centre, the Peace Gardens, Tudor Square, Fargate/ Town Hall Square, Barker's Pool etc, isn't it time we brought back all the statues that over the years have been banished to parks?

There's room in Market Place to bring Ebenezer Elliott back from banishment in Weston Park to his original home. Who knows, it might mean more Sheffielders find out who he was. The War memorial removed from the Botanics is suposedly being resited in town, but nothing seems to happen. Queen Victoria deserves better, pleasant though Endcliffe Park may be.

What do you think, should we bring them back, and if so, who/what should go where?

Guest Danny

I think it would be great to see the statues back in the city centre. What would be even better would be if we could resite them as close to the original positions as is presently possible.

All these great monuments that mean so much to the city, moved to parks and forgotten about. It may bring the city's heritage to people's attention more.

I doubt much of today's young generation (younger than 16) know much about Queen Victoria and even less that she visited our city near the end of her long reign.

I think we should celebrate our great past even further. Some sort of memorial to the great innovations made in the steel industry for instance, innovations that happened right here in Sheffield which revolutionised the way steel is used and produced throughout the whole world!

I think it would be great to see the statues back in the city centre. What would be even better would be if we could resite them as close to the original positions as is presently possible.

All these great monuments that mean so much to the city, moved to parks and forgotten about. It may bring the city's heritage to people's attention more.

I doubt much of today's young generation (younger than 16) know much about Queen Victoria and even less that she visited our city near the end of her long reign.

I think we should celebrate our great past even further. Some sort of memorial to the great innovations made in the steel industry for instance, innovations that happened right here in Sheffield which revolutionised the way steel is used and produced throughout the whole world!

Perhaps Meadowhall would like to donate the steelworkers statues to the city seeing as they don't seem to want them any more . We could have them outside the Town Hall along with the 'stars'.

I don't think we need to move those statues back to the city centre, I am very happy with them where they are as they allow a moment of tarnquil and wistful reflection upon the Victorian civic pride our city felt. The city centre should be a place for new civic art which, although you may not like it now, will in 100 years time have the equivalent status of those Victorian statues in the parks. However, I do think that the Crimea monument needs bringing out of mothballs and re-erecting somewhere. If money were to be spent on out statuary past then that's where it should go.

Guest bullerboy

The rightful place for the meadowhall statues is in Hilltop Cemetery on Attercliffe Rd to commemorate the great man who brought sheffields industry to life,Benjamin Hunstman,without this man Sheffield would be still a backwater with Rotherham being the prominant town.

Guest whatdownrivelinagain

I always thought that the Meadowhall Steelworkers should have been brought to the city centre. I also agree that our heritage should be more on show, something like the the large crucible outside Kellham Island. I am sure in the old steel works around Sheffield we could find something suitable.

Have you noticed That Same Hill Farm is up for sale again in the Rivelin Valley. £750,000 they say. W/E.

Have you noticed That Same Hill Farm is up for sale again in the Rivelin Valley. £750,000 they say. W/E.

Sorry, you lost me there W/E?

Sorry, you lost me there W/E?

Just going on the new members name "Bayleaf". I spent a lot of time in the Rivelin Valley as a child. W/E.

Just going on the new members name "Bayleaf". I spent a lot of time in the Rivelin Valley as a child. W/E.

Sorry W/E, a bit slow there. I really should give up posting after my 10pm cocoa...