Census 1901

jaybird

Hi I am searching for Mary Luff on the 1901 census and son Ernest Luff, could anyone look them up please.

Mary born 1850's Ernest born 1880's.

thank you

Hi I am searching for Mary Luff on the 1901 census and son Ernest Luff, could anyone look them up please.

thank you

Are they living in Sheffield then or born there? I can see a few Mary's but not in Sheffield also do you know if there are any other family members?

thank you

Hi jaybird

No luck in the 1901 Census but i have found a Mary Luff in the 1891 Census

Living at 57, Percy Street, Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield.

Plus i have found a Ernest Luff in the 1911 Census

Living at 6 Court 2 House Leicester St Sheffield.

Hope this helps.

In the 1901 census there is a Henry Luff born in Lincolnshire same as the 1891 census living with 2 of the daughters who are the right age but no wife Mary . I also noticed that in the 1891 census 2 daughters were called Elizabeth. Is it possible that Mary remarried and changed her name?

Another theory is that she was away on the night of the census with Ernest but although I can find a Mary Love as a visitor at the home of William and Mary Bramham in Knottingley there is no Ernest I just thought it might be a miss spelling.

Hi jaybird

No luck in the 1901 Census but i have found a Mary Luff in the 1891 Census

Living at 57, Percy Street, Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield.

Plus i have found a Ernest Luff in the 1911 Census

Living at 6 Court 2 House Leicester St Sheffield.

Hope this helps.

All the dates tie together with Brother George and his Wife Helen staying with Brother Ernest in 1911.

But where were Mary and Ernest in 1901 ?

I have found a record of a Death in 1896.

Civil Registration event: Death

Name LUFF Mary

Registration district:

Sheffield

County:

Yorkshire

Year of registration:1896

Quarter of registration:Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at death:48

Volume no:9C

Page no:315

Hi,

thank you all for the replies.

The 1911 census is Ernest Luff with wife and brother George William.

The last census I found with the Luff family was 1881 Sheffield

George Luff father 1853

Mary Luff mother 1854

James Luff son born 1873 died 1896

George William Luff son born 1880

Ernest was born later 1885--1888.

( can not find his birth cert)

Mary Luff died 19 31 buried Burngreave cemetery.

I was trying to find Mary and son Ernest on the 1891 and 1901 census but no luck

Mary was with James in Sheffield 1896 as I have his death cert and it says mother Mary was with him.

1901 GeorgeWilliam Luff is in the Grenadier Guards in London

Father George is in Sheffield. on the 1901 census with someone else.

Where Mary and son Ernest are is proving very hard to fathom out.

Are you sure that you have the right Mary the one that I found who died in Sheffield Sept 1931 was born in 1851. She was also a catholic.

.LUFF, George (Bricklayer, age 60)

Died at Sheff'd Union; Buried on January 1, 1914 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 36, Section D2 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister: George Dart, Removed from St Cuthberts Parish.

Plot Owner

I think that this is the right George though.

The 1911 census puts Ernest at 22 so he was born abt 1888/9

George Luff got married in 1872 to a Mary which was either Mary Alice Middleton or Mary Nafen

They are the only 2 that got married at the same time . Do you know Mary,s maiden name ?

Hi,

thank you for reply

It is the right one Mary was Catholic she was baptised 1853 by Joseph Hill at St Maries R C Church. Her parents were Catholic and they were married at St Maries 1852 Ann Kelly James Nevan (this surname is spelt several different ways).

George Luff and Mary were married at Christ Church Pitsmoor 1872.

1911 census does put Ernest Luff born 1888-9, but I don't feel certain of that--- long gap between brother George William born 1880not sure as I can't find his birth anywhere.

Well they were living together as a family in 1881 on census but not in 1901 Ernest was born in between that time so maybe he is not Georges son his name would still be his mothers so she was still called Mary Luff at the time of his birth. Are you sure that Ernest was born in Sheffield. I ask this because my Mum was born in similar circumstances and was born in London then brought back to Sheffield where she was adopted her name was changed but not legally. It was not until she got married that she got her birth certificate and found out her birth name she was never told she was adopted. I have managed to find her family she had a half brother and sister that she never knew but sadly she died 5 years ago age 92 and I have only found out recently and traced all her family apart from her birth Father.

I have found a record of a Death in 1896.

Civil Registration event: Death

Name LUFF Mary

Registration district:

Sheffield

County:

Yorkshire

Year of registration:1896

Quarter of registration:Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at death:48

Volume no:9C

Page no:315

Hi,

Mary Luff was still alive at this time . on her son James Luff death cert it states he died December 25 1896 mother Mary with him. I feel sure that the later death of a Mary Luff 1933 is my Mary.

Thanks

Hy syl,

there is some evidence of Ernest being born in Sheffield on his first world war record--states he was born Sheffield and registered in the army in Sheffield --he was thrown out of the army not fit---then he joined up again and was killed in action 1917.

Think Mary was his mother not sure about father --on ernest's marriage cert says James Luff horn-cutter.

On brother George William's birth cert his father is George Luff bricklayer. Sometime after the 1881 census I am thinking mary and George Luff seperated.

Sad what happens to families like you say about your mom never knowing your birth parent.

Shall keep searching as we all do. Thank you

Hi,

thank you for reply

It is the right one Mary was Catholic she was baptised 1853 by Joseph Hill at St Maries R C Church. Her parents were Catholic and they were married at St Maries 1852 Ann Kelly James Nevan (this surname is spelt several different ways).

George Luff and Mary were married at Christ Church Pitsmoor 1872.

1911 census does put Ernest Luff born 1888-9, but I don't feel certain of that--- long gap between brother George William born 1880not sure as I can't find his birth anywhere.

The age gap could be right there is a 7 year gap between George and James. I have found a Mary Naven in the 1901 census. Not sure if it's her though it says born in Huddersfield and it's The South Yorkshire Asylum for the West Riding of York born abt 1852.

Hi, thanks for reply.

I found two more births for Mary Luff and George Luff.

Mary Olive Luff 1879---born Cambridge street

Florence Mary Luff 1881---born 12 court Bailey street

Both .

Baptised St Maries.

Wondered if Mary and Ernest was living with one of the sister's 1891 1901 census under their married name.

Not discounting the Mary Naven you found--wonder where son Ernest is?

The age gap could be right there is a 7 year gap between George and James. I have found a Mary Naven in the 1901 census. Not sure if it's her though it says born in Huddersfield and it's The South Yorkshire Asylum for the West Riding of York born abt 1852.

Have you checked out Sheffield Indexers It is Florentia Maria mothers name Mariae Neavin and Georgii ? and Maria Olivia same Mothers name and Father. Just shows how many different ways the Mothers maiden name is spelt perhaps that is hindering the search if she resorted back to that name.

Hi

Thanks,

Have looked at Sheffield Indexers, got a lot of information from there.

Will have a look round for different surname.

Have you checked out Sheffield Indexers It is Florentia Maria mothers name Mariae Neavin and Georgii ? and Maria Olivia same Mothers name and Father. Just shows how many different ways the Mothers maiden name is spelt perhaps that is hindering the search if she resorted back to that name.

HI

FOUND FLORENCE LUFF ON THE 1901 CENSUS SHEFFIELD COULD ANYONE LOOK IT UP FOR ME PLEASE.

THANK YOU

Checked for marriages but she could be living anywhere at this time the only Sheffield one is to a John TBeverly but in 1928 and that seems to late for me. There are lots of others nearer to the right time some in London some up north also 2 Mary Luff marriages that could be your Mary. Your best bet would be to sign up for a 2 weeks trial at Ancestry and go through them all.

Found her looks like she was a boarder at work.

Hi thank you it looks as though it is her.

Found another daughter

Frances Ann Loff(spelt differently)

born 1875 died 1879

Daughter Maria Olivia Luff born 1879 died 1879.

Looks as though Mary outlived all her family.

Checked for marriages but she could be living anywhere at this time the only Sheffield one is to a John TBeverly but in 1928 and that seems to late for me. There are lots of others nearer to the right time some in London some up north also 2 Mary Luff marriages that could be your Mary. Your best bet would be to sign up for a 2 weeks trial at Ancestry and go through them all.

Hi thank you for all your information it has been very helpful.

I do go to Library and look on Ancestry there and that is good too.

Thank you Regards