Watching ...

RichardB

Sheffield and its neighbourhood Photographically Illustrated (1865)

Theophilus Smith

£11.97, 7 bids, including me - likely to go beyond my means ...

2 days left

£333.33, aye OK, some serious folks out there.

1865 is so old it goes back to the early days of photography before Mr. Eastman invented roll film and pictures were taken on glass plates with a relatively slow emulsion requiring quite long exposure times.

Regardless of the fact that these are images of Sheffield, and so of particular interest to us, they could actually have been taken anywhere and their age and content would still be worth seeing.

The price doesn't really suprise me like some of the "silly money" prices on eBay do.

It was and I'll still offer you £15 for a 1993 reprint ... just out of interest.

Thought it was an original which was up for sale

Or £12.59 ( or less) on Amazon

So I bought a copy. It's published in the British Library General Historical Collections, digitised by Microsoft.

The whole thing looks photocopied rather than digitised. It's an interesting read, though some of the pages are a bit poor. But if you're tempted by the "Photographically Illustrated" bit, beware. In the whole book there are 15 photographs, all of things and places you can find elsewhere, and while some of the reproduction of the text is occasionally poor, reproduction of almost all of the photographs is extreme bad, the sort of result you'd get from a clapped-out photocopier on a bad day. Just one or two are only poor, and they're nothing to get excited about. But photos aside, still a useful addition to my library.