Small shops

RichardB

Following on from the success of "You've found a picture of my grandfather", he's a few other shops, not the big stores, just people selling "stuff"

Charles Henry Cleathero - tailor - wooden shop front, below the Court House, Waingate circa 1902. He formerly served with "Ormrod and Faulkner" in Angel Street.

He lived on Fowler Street, Wincobank, where he also kept the Engineer's Hotel

Central Sheffield - Martin Olive

E. M Taylor - butcher - Coleridge Place, Attercliffe 1905

The boy in the doorway is a young Colonel E. R. Bradley, Commanding Officer of the Local Defence Volunteers (WWII)

Picture SCL

Hovey's, Angel Street, before December 1893 when the place was destroyed by fire.

The first Sheffield shop to be illuminated by electricity (installed 1881).

The shop assistants slept above the shop, one was never found after the fire.

The sign on the corner says

"Newton Wilson and Co

Sewing Machines

All the latest improvements

George H. Hovey

Authorized Agent"

Note he's selling carpets further along the Street.

Picture SCL

--------------------------------------------------------

I assume from the angle, we're looking up Angel Street, probably about where the Co-Op and Sheffield Wednesday souvenier shop-thing was. Any comments ?

L & A Wilkinson circa 1906, inside the Norfolk Market Hall.

Owned by James Wilkinson of Birkendale; booksellers, stationers, printers and bookbinders. Also early agents for Edison's phonographs and records.

Silas K Hocking's next literary effort was the short but classic

"She was only the fishmongers daughter ...."

Currently, this is my favourite pictures of Sheffield, so I'll just slide it in here as a hat shop, see if anyone else loves this one as much as me.

Charles and Co The noted shop for hats. From the roof of Davy's restaurant (Haymarket) looking towards the Royal Victoria Hotel before redevolpment (1914-1920).

This photograph covers the site of the medieval castle, notice also the cone of a cementation furnace.

John Bennett - butcher, Ecclesfield

First picture before 1912. Road workers pose, road, made of compressed soil being replaced with asphalt, the meat, of course, still hanging in the shop front.

Second picture Bennetts 19th November 1925, meat still hanging in the open, the show is now on a bus route

Sheffield - Geoffrey Howse

Both pictures Cyril Slinn

Mrs E Pease in the doorway of Ye Olde Sweete Shop, Woodseats circa 1920.

Sheffield - Geoffrey Dowse

Picture SCL

Lucy, John and Jane Donnelly and an assistant (looking decidedly p*ssed), Castlefolds Fruit Market 1902

N Smith and Sons - toy stall, Norfolk Market Hall circa 1933

Assistants : Ivy Moore, Irene Ollerenshaw, Yvette Pratt, Margaret Deanaley and Jessie Humphries.

Empire Trading Stamp shop, 19-23 Howard Street - Christmas 1921.

First picture : Mr Douglas Marshall and staff. Marshall was selling tea on St Philip's Road as far back as 1899. He branched out into china and eartherware.

Second picture : Drapery Department, circa 1935

Third picture : Toy Department, circa 1935.

Note the cramped conditions and efficient use of display space.

Thomas_and_Taylor__s_outfitters_Cambridge_St_1934.jpgThomas and Taylor's outfitters and Army stores, circa 1934

37-41 Cambridge Street.

Mr W.J. Taylor and daughter in the doorway.

Hiking, rambling and camping in the Peak District was very popular during the Depression, creating a steady demand for robust and serviceable equipment.

Samuel and Jabez Pottinger 91-97 Division Street circa 1905, long association with saddlery, Jabez later left the business to become a newsagent at Hunter's Bar

Guest tsavo

Currently, this is my favourite pictures of Sheffield, so I'll just slide it in here as a hat shop, see if anyone else loves this one as much as me.

Charles and Co The noted shop for hats. From the roof of Davy's restaurant (Haymarket) looking towards the Royal Victoria Hotel before redevolpment (1914-1920).

This photograph covers the site of the medieval castle, notice also the cone of a cementation furnace.

Couldn't agree more. A great picture to remind us just how many open fires there would have been in the city. try counting the chimneys. No a chance of clean air.

Couldn't agree more. A great picture to remind us just how many open fires there would have been in the city. try counting the chimneys. No a chance of clean air.

But at least you could buy a Trilby !

Thomas and Taylor's outfitters and Army stores, circa 1934

37-41 Cambridge Street.

Hiking, rambling and camping in the Peak District was very popular during the Depression, creating a steady demand for robust and serviceable equipment.

Two Thomas & Taylor advertisements from the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers Membership Booklet 1928-9

On 09/05/2007 at 14:05, RichardB said:

Thomas_and_Taylor__s_outfitters_Cambridge_St_1934.jpgThomas and Taylor's outfitters and Army stores, circa 1934

37-41 Cambridge Street.

Mr Pryor in doorway. I worked at Thomas and Taylors on Atkinson's corner 1971-1973.