Water Water Everywhere.

hilldweller

I gaze upon the paddy field that used to be my back garden. The soakaways for my drive gully and my garage roof have become artesian wells. The dams just up the road are full and overflowing.

And a large part of eastern England is subject to draught control orders.

More than a hundred years ago local authorities from Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham and Leicester managed to reach an agreement to build a series of dams in the Derwent valley and build a pipeline aquaduct down the centre of England.

The pipeline consist of two huge pipes (48" & 50" diameter from memory) and the water flows all the way by gravity. Even the Duke of Devonshire of the time, allowed it to be buried under the Chatsworth front lawn.

If it could be done a hundred years ago then surely it is not beyond the wit of modern men (or women) to build a national water grid system.

Of course if it was to be done the pipes would probably have to be imported from Albania or somewhere similar.

If global warming is a reality, and something is certainly making the weather more extreme, then sooner or later extreme measures will be called for.

The private water companies will never work together to provide a solution and central government doesn't seem to make strategic decisions any more. Perhaps somebody in government will eventually realise that such a scheme would provide employment for thousands and enable the rich fertile soils of East Anglia to continue supplying us with our meat and veg.

Just a thought !

HD

I understand that it's water from the Derwent/Ladybower dams that Severn Trent are selling to Anglian Water?

I understand that it's water from the Derwent/Ladybower dams that Severn Trent are selling to Anglian Water?

The television programme wasn't very clear but it seemed to show a borehole supply that they proposed to allow to flow into a nearby dyke which would eventually flow into an East Anglian river where it could be extracted.

The Severn Trent spokesman spoke about asking Yorkshire Water to give up the Derwent supply 'so that they could have enough water to export some to other companies. Presumably the borehole supply would be replaced by Derwent water.

If YW do give up the supply I hope that they are charging enough for it.

HD

HD.

Have you seen this film from 1964 ... Water! The Story Of Your Local Supply

Thanks for that, very interesting.

There have been many changes in the intervening years with new treatment plants at More Hall, Loxley and Rivelin.

The treatment plant at Redmires was used to prototype a new Sirofloc process, apparently the first outside of Australia, which was then used in the other new plants.

The Redmires plant was mothballed and has now been sold off.

HD

I've just been visiting the "outlaws" just over the tops in the Hope Valley. The roads are absolutely awash and the little streams that come down the hillside at Padley are now raging torrents.

Tiny lambs are cowering in the shelter of the drystone walls and they look very miserable indeed.

It reminds me of the old Two Ronnies sketch about a weather forecast.

"It will raining in Haining"

"It will be pouring in Goring"

"And in Lissingdown it will be raining very heavily indeed" :)

I wonder if Arnold Laver have got any Gopher Wood in stock ? :huh:

HD

I wonder if Arnold Laver have got any Gopher Wood in stock ? :huh:

HD

According to this Staley Holloway monologue written by Marriott Edgar, its not Gopher Wood but Birds Eye Maple that you want.

I'll tell you an old-fashioned story

That Grandfather used to relate,

Of a joiner and building contractor;

'Is name, it were Sam Oglethwaite.

In a shop on the banks of the Irwell,

Old Sam used to follow 'is trade,

In a place you'll have 'eard of, called Bury;

You know, where black puddings is made.

One day, Sam were filling a knot 'ole

Wi' putty, when in thro' the door

Came an old feller fair wreathed wi' whiskers;

T'ould chap said 'Good morning, I'm Noah.'

Sam asked Noah what was 'is business,

And t'ould chap went on to remark,

That not liking the look of the weather,

'E were thinking of building an Ark.

'E'd gotten the wood for the bulwarks,

And all t'other shipbuilding junk,

And wanted some nice Bird's Eye Maple

To panel the side of 'is bunk.

Now Maple were Sam's Monopoly;

That means it were all 'is to cut,

And nobody else 'adn't got none;

So 'e asked Noah three ha'pence a foot.

'A ha'penny too much,' replied Noah

'A Penny a foot's more the mark;

A penny a foot, and when rain comes,

I'll give you a ride in me Ark.'

But neither would budge in the bargain;

The whole daft thing were kind of a jam,

So Sam put 'is tongue out at Noah,

And Noah made rude signs at Sam

In wrath and ill-feeling they parted,

Not knowing when they'd meet again,

And Sam had forgot all about it,

'Til one day it started to rain.

It rained and it rained for a fortni't,

And flooded the 'ole countryside.

It rained and it kept' on raining,

'Til the Irwell were fifty mile wide.

The 'ouses were soon under water,

And folks to the roof 'ad to climb.

They said 'twas the rottenest summer

That Bury 'ad 'ad for some time.

The rain showed no sign of abating,

And water rose hour by hour,

'Til the only dry land were at Blackpool,

And that were on top of the Tower.

So Sam started swimming to Blackpool;

It took 'im best part of a week.

'Is clothes were wet through when 'e got there,

And 'is boots were beginning to leak.

'E stood to 'is watch-chain in water,

On Tower top, just before dark,

When who should come sailing towards 'im

But old Noah, steering 'is Ark.

They stared at each other in silence,

'Til Ark were alongside, all but,

Then Noah said: 'What price yer Maple?'

Sam answered 'Three ha'pence a foot.'

Noah said 'Nay; I'll make thee an offer,

The same as I did t'other day.

A penny a foot and a free ride.

Now, come on, lad, what does tha say?'

'Three ha'pence a foot,' came the answer.

So Noah 'is sail 'ad to hoist,

And sailed off again in a dudgeon,

While Sam stood determined, but moist.

Noah cruised around, flying 'is pigeons,

'Til fortieth day of the wet,

And on 'is way back, passing Blackpool,

'E saw old Sam standing there yet.

'Is chin just stuck out of the water;

A comical figure 'e cut,

Noah said: 'Now what's the price of yer Maple?'

Sam answered: 'Three ha'pence a foot.'

Said Noah: 'Ye'd best take my offer;

It's last time I'll be hereabout;

And if water comes half an inch higher,

I'll happen get Maple for nowt.'

'Three ha'pence a foot it'll cost yer,

And as fer me,' Sam said, 'don't fret.

The sky's took a turn since this morning;

I think it'll brighten up yet.'

'Nay lad thart wrong,

It'll rain a lot more I'll be bound

Come on lad, sell us thee maple'

'****** off!' said Sam, and then drowned

What is “Gopher Wood”?

The Hebrew word "gopher" is used only once in the Bible, in Genesis 6:14. God told Noah to "make yourself an ark of gopher wood." Because no one knows for certain what "gopher" means in this context, the King James Version and the New King James Version simply leave the word untranslated and say "gopher" wood.

Most modern English versions of the Bible translate it as "cypress." This is probably incorrect and is really only a guess supported by very weak evidence. Why cypress? In trying to solve the identity of "gopher wood," some guessed that a transliteration might be involved ("kupar" into “gopher”). Adam Clarke's Commentary says, "supposing the Greek word kuparissov, cypress, was formed from the Hebrew rpg, gopher; for take away the termination issov, and then gopher and kupar will have a near resemblance." Another supposed evidence for “cypress” is based on the fact that cypress trees are large and strong, and in the post-Flood earth, at least, once grew abundantly in Chaldea and Armenia. Armenia is where the ark is believed to have landed, in the mountains of Ararat.

Cypress is far from the only guess made by translators. Other trees and plants include pine, cedar, fir, ebony (Bockart), wicker (Geddes), juniper (Castellus), acacia (Religious Tract Society), boxwood, or slimed bulrushes (Dawson).

What's wrong with all such guesses that attempt to identify a particular tree or plant with "gopher wood?"

First, if "gopher" is a tree or a plant, it is not necessarily one that still exists today. Many plants have become extinct. We know little about the kinds of wood available to Noah in the pre-Flood world. No one today has seen the pre-Flood world; it was destroyed. [see: Has the Garden of Eden ever been found?]

Second, we don't know where in the wide world Noah lived; there is little or no evidence, only assumptions. Based on even conservative rates of population growth, Earth could easily have been widely populated in the 2000 years between Creation and the Flood.

Third, the identification of "gopher" with “cypress” or any other known tree or plant, based on Noah's supposed location, ignores the fact that Earth was greatly changed by the Flood. Remember that the Flood devastated the entire globe. Here is a quick summary of some of the relevant events and their ramifications…

All the fountains of the great deep broke up (implying MASSIVE earthquakes and splitting of Earth's crust) (Genesis 7:11). [see: Noah's Flood - Where did the water come from?] Such earth movements would produce huge tsunamis in the rising seas, producing further devastation. So MASSIVE was the amount of water involved in the Flood that it eventually covered all the highest hills/mountains (Gen. 7:19).

There is no such thing as a worldwide, tranquil flood. In total, such events would clearly produce major geologic and geographic changes. MASSIVE devastation and erosion would occur: hundreds and even thousands of feet of sediment would be laid down during such a catastrophe (the biblical flood lasted more than a year).

MASSIVE destruction was clearly the point of this judgment: the destruction of all humans on the earth (except those protected by the ark), the erasure of every trace of these extremely evil people and their civilization, starting over with the only remaining Godly family, and leaving Earth changed in ways that would make it more difficult for evil to rapidly spread and dominate the globe—as it had in the physically more paradise-like, pre-Flood world which was much closer to the way God created it.

Based on the size of this historic event and evidence from the geologic record, pre-Flood and post-Flood geography probably do not correspond well. This is another reason why we cannot know the approximate latitude/longitude of the ark’s construction site.

Fourth, the location of the ark’s landing is not very relevant. Remember that the post-Flood ark floated around for five months on tumultuous water. It could have traveled far from its construction site.

In summary, if "gopher" refers to a type of tree or plant, we lack sufficient evidence to determine its identity.

It is possible that "gopher" refers to a PROCESS or METHOD used to prepare the wood or to construct the ark. Examples:

1. The words "gopher" and "ets" (wood) used in Genesis 6:14 are translated in the Septuagint (LXX.) as "squared beams."
  2. The Vulgate version translated these same words as “planed wood.”
  3. Some researchers have suggested that "gopher" may have referred to a lamination process, which might have been necessary considering the huge size of the ark (450 feet long or more). If true, the correct translation would be “laminated wood.”
    The Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry suggests that the true meaning of the word "gopher" may be found in a modern dictionary, and that forms of the word may still be in use today. "In the Concise Oxford Dictionary 1954 edition under the word 'gofer, gaufre, goffer, gopher, and gauffer see also wafer' it speaks of a number of similar things ranging from wafers as in biscuit making (layers of biscuit) or in a honeycomb pattern, to layers of lace in dressmaking, and hence goffering irons to iron the layers of lace."
  4. Due to the similarity between a “g” and a “k” in the Hebrew alphabet (both resemble a backwards “C”), some have suggested that the first letter in the word “gopher” could be a scribal error, and that the word should be "kopher." Kopher is a Hebrew word translated as “pitch” in Genesis 6:14. Pitch is a waterproof covering. (No one knows for sure what kind of pitch Noah used). But if this scribal error theory is correct, then the verse would properly read, in effect, "Make yourself an ark of pitched wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch."

The bottom-line is that this ancient word remains a mystery. It is just one of many things I look forward to asking Noah about, when I get to Heaven.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/gopherwood.html

Guest Barbara M

We have had heavy rain all day here nr Bawtry & it has just stopped, the watermeadows at each side of the River Idle are flooded & doing there job .

We have sun forecast for tomorrow !!

Rained up North, enough to put the lawn feed stuff in, never hard enough to notice it battering against the windows.

Didn't stop "Big Cat" spending four hours out. Non-plussed when he came in (maybe non-pussed) ....

Guest Barbara M

Our Cat , named CD after the model number of our last TR250 , had the face on all day.......she kept looking at us as if to say "Make it stop raining " but got me up at 4.25 am this morning all bushy tailed & rairing to go as the dawn chorus started !!!

Hope she doesn't bring a headless baby rabbit back for our breakfast as she usually does !!! UGH !!