Roger Thompson

Hello there, I'm Roger and from Batley in the Old West Riding of Yorkshire.

My family on the Paternal side came from the Handsworth area in the 1770's and they are very hard to trace up there.

My interest is WW1 researching and at the moment looking for Rolls of Honour especially of the women that where involved in war work and thats how I came to find this site and what a godsend it is.

Good work every body and if I am able to help at anytime I'm more than willing to.

Cheers Roger.

Welcome to the Site Roger, any and all input welcomed. There is a remarkable amount of WWI information on here, the leading light on the subject, Trefcon, is on sabbitical completing his research in the run-up to the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the War - he's been at it for years, makes my efforts look a tad wimpish !

So, chip in where you can and watch out for visits by Trefcon because he's very much the man for the job.

Thank you for the welcome Richard, I have come across Dean on another Sheffield forum before, but was not aware of his sabatical.

My immediate problem is that some where on this forum I have seen a topic that did show nurses, matrons and the like from Sheffield, as I'm assisting with a project to record the final resting place and memorials to the women who did war work in WW1 and in particular Yorkshire.

Before I knew about my Sheffield roots whenever I was in Sheffied I had that feeling of being home, and I'm Batley born, bred and dragged up, funny ain't it.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Stuart,

That is the one I was after again, thank you very much, I have 5 to cover at the moment I have traced all 5 but at the moment can only confirm 2 of them.

I shall be down in the Sheffield area in about 3 weeks time to pick up on these women.

Cheers Roger.