Horse Drawn Trams

Guest mellocity

Guest mellocity

My great-grandfather George Cross drove a horse drawn tram - does anyone have any pictures of these vehicles in use in Sheffield? Does anyone know when the last horse drawn tram journey was?

Welcome to Sheffield History, mellocity.

The last horse tram service in Sheffield prior to electrification was from the City Centre to Hillsborough (Holme Lane) which ended on 11th November 1902. All the existing horse tram routes were replaced by electric trams between 1899 and 1902.

Horse trams have been seen on the streets of Sheffield since:

There are plenty of pictures of horse trams on Picture Sheffield. Searching for "Horse Drawn Trams" is the way to find them.

Horse trams have been seen on the streets of Sheffield since:

The 1994 reincarnation of the horse drawn tram.

If my memory serves me well at this time the horse drawn tram had a route around the City Centre and there was a bus service which had a similar route, handy for shoppers wanting to get around the main areas of town.

The bus service was known as the "City Clipper" and the horse drawn service as the "City Clopper"

...yes Dave , the "City Clopper " really did exist ! .... and heres the proof , opposite the Peace Gardens back in '83 ....

http://bit.ly/JhZNBk

I thought I was right about the City Clopper,

But the date you give it, 1983 fits exactly with my memory of it, - early 1980's

Why I questioned it was because none of the dates in the previous post 1946, 1961 and 1994 seem to match up with it.

...and yet the City Clopper was, after all, a modern day horse drawn tram, - although not quite as modern as the 1994 given date.

...yes Dave , the "City Clopper " really did exist ! .... and heres the proof , opposite the Peace Gardens back in '83 ....

http://bit.ly/JhZNBk

...and yet the City Clopper was, after all, a modern day horse drawn tram, - although not quite as modern as the 1994 given date.

Looks more like a horse drawn bus to me,

Guest transit

...dont forget the "City Clopper" was a bus not a tram - omnibus ,as they were called back then to be exact !

The previous horse-drawn tram "appearances" were to mark some sort of Sheffield tram celebration or anniversay ect , actually using the old preserved Sheffield tram .

The "City Clopper" was just a marketing attraction and was actually an old restored ex- London example (L.G.O.C. - London General Omnibus Company) - still great to see and ride though !

...dont forget the "City Clopper" was a bus not a tram - omnibus ,as they were called back then to be exact !

The previous horse-drawn tram "appearances" were to mark some sort of Sheffield tram celebration or anniversay ect , actually using the old preserved Sheffield tram .

The "City Clopper" was just a marketing attraction and was actually an old restored ex- London example (L.G.O.C. - London General Omnibus Company) - still great to see and ride though !

Yes I suppose it was a bus and not a tram, - what with there being no tracks on Sheffield roads in the 1980's.

However, I enjoyed seeing the horse drawn "City Clopper" in the '80's.

Pity they didn't retain it.