Guys & Gals

ukelele lady

I went to eat at the Bar and Grill on Leopold Street again recently but this time

I told them in advance that I wanted to eat off a plate and not a chopping board.

Everything was fine except for one of my pet hates, being called a Guy.

Here's me dressed up to the nines and the waitress is calling me a guy

how insulting. I wanted to tell her there was a big difference between myself

and the husband even if she couldn't see it.

It's another horrible saying that's come from America, why can't they take a

leaf out of Jimmy Saville's book and address the situation correctly, Guy & Gals.

I hate being called a guy, the next time I think I will object and prove to them

I'm female. :o

:angry: :P

I went to eat at the Bar and Grill on Leopold Street again recently but this time

I told them in advance that I wanted to eat off a plate and not a chopping board.

Everything was fine except for one of my pet hates, being called a Guy.

Here's me dressed up to the nines and the waitress is calling me a guy

how insulting. I wanted to tell her there was a big difference between myself

and the husband even if she couldn't see it.

It's another horrible saying that's come from America, why can't they take a

leaf out of Jimmy Saville's book and address the situation correctly, Guy & Gals.

I hate being called a guy, the next time I think I will object and prove to them

I'm female. :o

:angry::P

I'm with you on that one UKL, I really hate being called a "guy" even though I am male. I just don't like the word, just like I don't like women being called "birds" either.

If someone calls me "guy" my usual response is to say "A guy is someone you throw on a bonfire on 5th November"

However, with Americans, and even young English people who use the expression but have little knowledge of history that comment is frequently lost on them.

An online friend I got to meet in the USA in 2000 always called me "Sir", as in "Yes, Sir", as he did with all older male members of the group - I asked him to just call me Richard, but the training/habit just wouldn't leave him - a mark of respect for your elders that maybe isn't that common these days. He called Tiny Marm - his pronunciation - always tremendously polite.

I'm sure being called a Guy would wind me up enormously ...

I'm with you on that one UKL, I really hate being called a "guy" even though I am male. I just don't like the word, just like I don't like women being called "birds" either.

If someone calls me "guy" my usual response is to say "A guy is someone you throw on a bonfire on 5th November"

However, with Americans, and even young English people who use the expression but have little knowledge of history that comment is frequently lost on them.

We have 'proms' at school now

England = USA through and through

booooooooo

Went to my first school prom last summer with a group of school leavers I had spent 5 years with and thoroughly enjoyed teaching.

As a result I enjoyed the prom and the opportunity to thank such a nice set of students.

This years school leavers have been trouble and a pain in the backside for the previous 5 years

As a result I won't be going to their prom, and they probably don't want me to.

An online friend I got to meet in the USA in 2000 always called me "Sir", as in "Yes, Sir", as he did with all older male members of the group - I asked him to just call me Richard, but the training/habit just wouldn't leave him - a mark of respect for your elders that maybe isn't that common these days. He called Tiny Marm - his pronunciation - always tremendously polite.

I'm sure being called a Guy would wind me up enormously ...

Being a teacher I am used to being called "Sir" and "Yes, Sir" but I don't ever remember receiving my knighthood. <_<