Hippodrome Theatre : Looking For A Singer

Guest suzy

I have been told of a relative who was born in about 1903 named Selina Parkin (Her name was sometimes shortened to Lena). She was allegedly a singer who worked at the Hippodrome Theatre. I know basic details about the Theatre from this site and that it closed as a theatre in 1931. I dont know if Selina was a soloist or a backing singer of some sort and wondered if anyone could help me find more information about her please?

A long shot, but Local Studies has a great collection of Sheffield theatre posters, I don't know which theatres though. Anyone got a few days to spare?

OK, a veeerrry long shot!

I'm looking, with a spectacular lack of success; Bayleaf's plan is looking better by the minute.

Can anyone help with my earlier post please? All efforts would be gratefully received. :(

I'm looking, with a spectacular lack of success; Bayleaf's plan is looking better by the minute.

I am grateful for all the help - much appreciated as I dont reside in Sheffield these days. Many thanks. :)

A long shot, but Local Studies has a great collection of Sheffield theatre posters, I don't know which theatres though. Anyone got a few days to spare?

OK, a veeerrry long shot!

Anyone know of any other way I could tackle my earlier query? I may be visiting Sheffield in a few weeks but time will be limited, so I need to use it as wisely as possible :wacko: Would there be any records held anywhere regarding singers at the Hippodrome whilst it was open, before it became a cinema?????

Anyone know of any other way I could tackle my earlier query? I may be visiting Sheffield in a few weeks but time will be limited, so I need to use it as wisely as possible :wacko: Would there be any records held anywhere regarding singers at the Hippodrome whilst it was open, before it became a cinema?????

You might try the Local Studies section of the City Library. Look through old copies of the Sheffield evening paper - "The Star" for any advertisements for the Hippodrome at that time. They would normally be on the same page.

The library has all the old newspapers on microfiche, so, they are very easy to scan through. Someone there will help you, and show you how to do it. Good luck !

No mention of her in Kelly's 1925 Directory.

Many thanks for your efforts anyway. :) If she had a different stage name that I am not aware of I think I may be sunk!!! :(

You might try the Local Studies section of the City Library. Look through old copies of the Sheffield evening paper - "The Star" for any advertisements for the Hippodrome at that time. They would normally be on the same page.

The library has all the old newspapers on microfiche, so, they are very easy to scan through. Someone there will help you, and show you how to do it. Good luck !

Thank you - I have got a feeling I might need it :wacko: