200 famous Sheffielders

RichardB

The original is 8.84 Mb, here's an extract, missing the first three pages off .... 99 Kb, what the hell is on those three pages ?????

200.doc

The original is 8.84 Mb, here's an extract, missing the first three pages off .... 99 Kb, what the hell is on those three pages ?????

I am as disappointed with this list of 200 famous Sheffielders as I am with the New Years Honours list.

I've looked through it and they have missed me out again!! :(

If I go out of the house and into town people sort of know who I am and saythings to me like

Ayup Dave

Allreet Dave

Nardin Dave

Ardagooin Dave

Daoreight Dave

The sort of things that sort of give you the impression you are well known.

Then they miss you off the list of famous Sheffielders :angry:

I am as disappointed with this list of 200 famous Sheffielders as I am with the New Years Honours list.

I've looked through it and they have missed me out again!! :(

I'll only make it onto the list as your Nominator; possibly 15 people in the whole of Sheffield would know me from Adam; all family members.

Still, we never know, we may become infamous for our exploits, or, we may just provide an entertainment for the general populace and be appreciated for that.

Next lot up is the Queen's birthday honours. How about a campaign to get one of our erudite brethren nominated for inclusion? Who would you nominate and why?

Really enjoyed looking through your extract of 200 famous Sheffielders, these 5 surprised me most:

1 Arthur Balfour, 1st Lord Riverdale (of the Balfour Declaration?) With a name like that I should have known . . .

2 Paul Carrack of Mike and the Mechanics. Didn't know any of the band members but as an expat, their beautiful songs Living Years and One Perfect Day just stop me in my tracks.

3. Margaret Gatty, writing "The History of British Seaweed" and having a marine worm named after you, well it doesn't get any better than that, does it.

4 Harry Greenwood, Harry the Tramp. It was every boys dream in the 60's to live in a cave at Stoney Middleton, and travel the country as free as the wind. What a character! How come I never heard of him?

5 Stan Shaw, last of the Little Mesters. More significant to me than Henry Allingham and Harry Patch. There is nothing more uniquely Sheffield than the Little Mesters

Next lot up is the Queen's birthday honours. How about a campaign to get one of our erudite brethren nominated for inclusion? Who would you nominate and why?

I never get nominated for that either Bayleaf :( (see post #3 above)

Our old school caretaker get an award from the queen for being a good caretaker for a long time.

Doesn't matter what any of us seem to do though we always get left off the honours list :( :angry:

Hi all

Harry Greenwood was my Dad's brother. I'm currently researching my family tree, and knew his history and indeed have some articles from the Star, including his obituary, but his celebrity has come as something of a surprise.

In short, he, my Dad and his brothers and sisters were born in Wallace Road, Neepsend in the 1920s. Harry was good with electrical equipment and had his own shop (not sure where, but presumably in the same area). He was also something of a wanderer. He married a Greek woman in the late 40s/early 50s but after a few years decided that domestic life wasn't for him and went on the road. He would reappear at his mothers' and siblings' houses sporadically over the years and did seem to wander around the country. He returned to Derbyshire in the mid 80s, where my Dad ran into him in Baslow while on a walking trip. At first he denied who he was but then admitted and was quite pleased to be reunited. At that time he was living in a cave near the Robin Hood Inn, Chesterfield Road. My Dad took me to visit him and my memory is of a nut brown elderly man who looked the spitting image of my grandma, surrounded by bits of old electrical equipment - even if he'd left his old life, he'd kept in practice. He moved to Robin Hood's Cave a few years later, and my Mum and Dad visited him occasionally. I had gone to university and then moved to London, so it wasn't really until the articles in the Star and sadly not long after, his obituary, that I heard more about him.

One thing that I'm not sure of from the article is that he died in 1997, not 1999 - I'm fairly certain I've found the right death certificate on ancestry.co.uk but I need to find the clippings from the Star. If anyone has any memories of him, I'd like to hear them.

Hi all

Harry Greenwood was my Dad's brother. I'm currently researching my family tree, and knew his history and indeed have some articles from the Star, including his obituary, but his celebrity has come as something of a surprise.

In short, he, my Dad and his brothers and sisters were born in Wallace Road, Neepsend in the 1920s. Harry was good with electrical equipment and had his own shop (not sure where, but presumably in the same area). He was also something of a wanderer. He married a Greek woman in the late 40s/early 50s but after a few years decided that domestic life wasn't for him and went on the road. He would reappear at his mothers' and siblings' houses sporadically over the years and did seem to wander around the country. He returned to Derbyshire in the mid 80s, where my Dad ran into him in Baslow while on a walking trip. At first he denied who he was but then admitted and was quite pleased to be reunited. At that time he was living in a cave near the Robin Hood Inn, Chesterfield Road. My Dad took me to visit him and my memory is of a nut brown elderly man who looked the spitting image of my grandma, surrounded by bits of old electrical equipment - even if he'd left his old life, he'd kept in practice. He moved to Robin Hood's Cave a few years later, and my Mum and Dad visited him occasionally. I had gone to university and then moved to London, so it wasn't really until the articles in the Star and sadly not long after, his obituary, that I heard more about him.

One thing that I'm not sure of from the article is that he died in 1997, not 1999 - I'm fairly certain I've found the right death certificate on ancestry.co.uk but I need to find the clippings from the Star. If anyone has any memories of him, I'd like to hear them.

Remember the name and possibly him being referred to as the 'mad axe man', wonder where that came from,

Wallace Road 1948,

(COURTS 5 ,7,9,11,13)*

89 FLINT TIMOTHY*

91 DERBYSHIRE ALBERT*

93 BALL RICHARD*

95 TOOTHILL ALBERT*

97 ROBINSON WM.*

99 NAYLOR FREDK . HAMMER DRIVER*

101 VICKERS MRS. MARY*

103 BOWER CHAS. HY. PLATELAYER*

105 LEVER JOSEPH F. LABOURER*

107 GREENWOOD MRS. ELSIE*--------------------------------

109 MYCOCK EDWARD*

111 BENETT JOHN*

113 SLATER HARRY

Apparently in Baslow a bench seat was constructed in his memory,

a bit more about Harry including a very good photograph .. Here

Remember the name and possibly him being referred to as the 'mad axe man', wonder where that came from,

Wallace Road 1948,

(COURTS 5 ,7,9,11,13)*

89 FLINT TIMOTHY*

91 DERBYSHIRE ALBERT*

93 BALL RICHARD*

95 TOOTHILL ALBERT*

97 ROBINSON WM.*

99 NAYLOR FREDK . HAMMER DRIVER*

101 VICKERS MRS. MARY*

103 BOWER CHAS. HY. PLATELAYER*

105 LEVER JOSEPH F. LABOURER*

107 GREENWOOD MRS. ELSIE*--------------------------------

109 MYCOCK EDWARD*

111 BENETT JOHN*

113 SLATER HARRY

That's my Grandma (just posted about that in the Parkwood Springs thread).

Now, not to paint my family oddly in any way, but the mad axe man might have been my Uncle Wilf, who, according to family legend, went to the police in 195-something claiming to have killed his mother and sisters with an axe. The police went around to the house to find them alive and well. Uncle Wilf was placed in Middlewood Hospital and stayed there for the rest of his life, albeit in sheltered accommodation for the last ten years or so. He died in 2008, aged about 80.

My Dad was evacuated to Hucknall, Nottinghamshire on Sept 3rd 1939 and didn't go back to Sheffield apart from the occasional visit. On at least one occasion he cycled, which must have been no mean feat during the war.

Apparently in Baslow a bench seat was constructed in his memory,

a bit more about Harry including a very good photograph .. Here

Yes, I found the photo several years ago, and I've tried to contact the site owner for a copy but he didn't reply. I haven't been to see the seat in Baslow but intend to do so soon.

I once met someone from Baslow at university and asked if he knew Harry, and he did, so he was certainly well known in the 80s.

That's my Grandma (just posted about that in the Parkwood Springs thread).

Now, not to paint my family oddly in any way, but the mad axe man might have been my Uncle Wilf, who, according to family legend, went to the police in 195-something claiming to have killed his mother and sisters with an axe. The police went around to the house to find them alive and well. Uncle Wilf was placed in hospital and stayed there for the rest of life, albeit in sheltered accommodation for the last ten years or so. He died in 2008, aged about 80.

My Dad was evacuated to Hucknall, Nottinghamshire on Sept 3rd 1939 and didn't go back to Sheffield apart from the occasional visit. On at least one occasion he cycled, which must have been no mean feat during the war.

Well that solves that mystery, is it ok for me to put that information into my Parkwood history snippets.

Well that solves that mystery, is it ok for me to put that information into my Parkwood history snippets.

By all means. Indeed, if anyone else knows anything about the story I'd love to hear it - my aunts are still alive but I haven't seen them for a few years.

I'm new to this site - is your history here?

By all means. Indeed, if anyone else knows anything about the story I'd love to hear it - my aunts are still alive but I haven't seen them for a few years.

I'm new to this site - is your history here?

No I collect any snippets from Parkwood Springs.

Hi all

Hi Simon,

Please see attachment. You never know what you might find when you start shaking the branches! Notice in the second column he . . . . . 'lived a roving childhood' Interesting.

On 01/04/2010 at 11:45, Simon Greenwood said:

Hi all

Hi  I don't know if this will get to you - I have joined this group in the hope it will.  I have recently made a short thing for youtube that focused on Harry - I thought you might be interested and should know.  My hope is that it will be shared and people will leave memories of him there.