Longbottom & Co Colliery Agents Sheffield

Guest cholbrook

Guest cholbrook

Thought someone may find theses pics of interest.Found them amongst some stuff from my late Fathers Estate.No family ties to Sheffield but he was a collectoro of almost anything historic..a couple of the pics are dated in1924 and 1926....

Thought someone may find theses pics of interest.Found them amongst some stuff from my late Fathers Estate.No family ties to Sheffield but he was a collectoro of almost anything historic..a couple of the pics are dated in1924 and 1926....

Welcome to Sheffield History cholbrook.

I have found something for the Company in question dating back to 1867 in Barnsley.

POLICE INTELLIGENCE .

The Illustrated Police News etc (London, England), Saturday, July 27, 1867

Kelly's 1925 directory.

Longbottom & Co.Ltd.coal merchants,

London, Midland & Scottish Railway goods depot, Carlisle Street East.

Longbottom & Co. Ltd. coal merchants,

London Midland & Scottish coal depot,. Chesterfield Road.

18 & 19 Park Station, Furnial Road.

Longbottom & Co Ltd. colliery agents,

Penistone Road North, Wadsley Bridge.

Pond Street Coal Depot.

Longbottom & Co. Ltd. colliery agents,

21 Rowland Street.

Longbottom & Co Ltd. colliery agents,

Brightside Wharf, Savile Street East.

Great stuff, Thank you and Welcome to the Site.

1911 Census

Guest sammyopisite

I would not be surprised if this was the same company who were still running into the 60s they also still delivered coal the lorry's were yellow with black sign writing

I would not be surprised if this was the same company who were still running into the 60s they also still delivered coal the lorry's were yellow with black sign writing

1965 directory;

Ward, Longbottom Ltd., coal dealers.

21 Rowland Street, S3.*

City office, 12 Norfolk Row, S1.

Rowland Street, *appears in previous posts.

Cheapskate view from 1957 ...

Ward Longbottom Ltd

21 Rowland Street, S3

Harvest Lane, S3 (T N 27501, 6 lines)

Coal Order offices,

204 London Road, S2

546 Langsett Road, S6

657 Ecclesall Road, S11

Railway Coal Depots, Queens Road, S2

Heeley Station, Chesterfield Road, S8

& 12 Norfolk Row, S1 T N 24156

No picture; draw one yourself ...

1965 directory;

Ward, Longbottom Ltd., coal dealers.

21 Rowland Street, S3.*

City office, 12 Norfolk Row, S1.

Rowland Street, *appears in previous posts.

Guest Longbottomt

Dear Cholbrok

Do you by any chance still have those pictures as I would love to get a better copy if possible as my father very sadly recently died and it was his great grandfather and grandfather who ran that business before it was nationalised. Would be very grateful for any help anyone can give on acquiring images for our family scrapbook I am compiling.

Many thanks Tamara Longbottom

In the fifties my dad worked on the railway as a plate layer based at heely carriage sidings,at night in the summer he used to empty, by shovel , railway wagons full of coal for the local merchants based in the sidings, i can remember plumptree and ward longbottom has having wooden huts in the road that ran between chesterfield road and the bottom of little london road near to the bridge.

Hope these may be OK for your scrapbook?:

Railway frontage at elbow in Stancer Street (Longbottom goods wagon):

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19594&prevUrl=

Stancer Street looking from Apple Street below Pitsmoor Road Bridge over L.N.E.R. Dec 1938 Longbottom goods wagon:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u00600&prevUrl=

Longbottom and Company were acquired by Thomas W. Ward Limited in 1945, and the new, merged organisation became Thos. W. Ward (Coal) Longbottom Limited. The head office and principle depot was on Harvest Lane, a city office was maintained on Norfolk Row and there were three suburban order offices. They were also agents for BP and Shell-Mex Fuels Oils. Branches also existed in Bristol, under the name of Fishponds Coal Company and Bradford, under the name, Lowmoor Coal Company.

The photographs are absolutely stunning by the way.

Guest sammyopisite

Longbottom and Company were acquired by Thomas W. Ward Limited in 1945, and the new, merged organisation became Thos. W. Ward (Coal) Longbottom Limited. The head office and principle depot was on Harvest Lane, a city office was maintained on Norfolk Row and there were three suburban order offices. They were also agents for BP and Shell-Mex Fuels Oils. Branches also existed in Bristol, under the name of Fishponds Coal Company and Bradford, under the name, Lowmoor Coal Company.

The photographs are absolutely stunning by the way.

It goes to show that when you are young and you do not take as much notice of things as I knew drivers from T,W,Wards, Ward Longbottom and Tommy Blacks and I did realise that they under the same management

It goes to show that when you are young and you do not take as much notice of things as I knew drivers from T,W,Wards, Ward Longbottom and Tommy Blacks and I did realise that they under the same management

Talking about Tommy Blacks Sammyopisite, when I did a bit of work on their trucks in the early 1960s I could never understand why some of them were registered to C G Littlewood of Littlewoods Coaches. W/E.