Anyone Know This Road Or Where It Was ?

togger

Hi All,

Happy Easter to you all and i hope the easter bunny brings you lots of eggs. Ok, now to the good bit ;-).

Just had a look at a 1911 census and this street name appeared. 1. I cant make out what it says and 2. does anyone know where it is / was please ?

Thanks

Bramber Street, off Spital Hill.

The bottom of Bramber Street was where Stockton Close is now and ran down to Spital Hill. it ran from Montfort Street [now Montfort Drive] to Brunswick Road then Spital Hill. W/E.

Bramber Street, off Spital Hill.

..and it is 3 court 2 house, which is a very Sheffield way of naming dwellings arranged in the "Court system"

Along the street would be a number of entrances into large yards called Courts. In the court would be a number of houses, typically 8 or so, which shared the yard and some communal facilities such as outside toilets.

So 3 court 2 house means house number 2 in the 3rd court on Bramber Street.

• Like 1

Links to 1950's OS maps,

and

Map #92 clearly shows the court system with courts named and houses numbered within them.

Bramber street shows courts 2, 4 and 12 on the left hand edge of the map, the adjoining map may have court 3, which would of course be on the opposite side of the road.

Map #92 clearly shows the court system with courts named and houses numbered within them.

Bramber street shows courts 2, 4 and 12 on the left hand edge of the map, the adjoining map may have court 3, which would of course be on the opposite side of the road.

3 court 2 house Bramber Street appears marked on map #10 over to the right hand side.

The bottom of Bramber Street was where Stockton Close is now and ran down to Spital Hill. it ran from Montfort Street [now Montfort Drive] to Brunswick Road then Spital Hill. W/E.

Thanks W/E.

And that's why I love this web site.

Thank you all, you are amazing people

Here you go togger (that's a Sheffield word that means football, - never heard it used anywhere else)

You are here, 3ct 2hse Bramber St.

Welcome to Sheffield History, thank you for posting, we are glad to be of service.

Togger is a word meaning football correct and you don't hear it much these days either. Thank you all

Here you go togger (that's a Sheffield word that means football, - never heard it used anywhere else)

You are here, 3ct 2hse Bramber St.

Welcome to Sheffield History, thank you for posting, we are glad to be of service.

Are we sure it isn't this one (red arrow) Dave :huh:

The one you've marked looks more likely to be 3ct Bramber Place as it is completely open to that particular road.

I know that owing to the haphazard way of naming and numbering at the time, it could be either, but I think mine looks more likely.

Any thoughts ?

The one you've marked looks more likely to be 3ct Bramber Place as it is completely open to that particular road.

I know that owing to the haphazard way of naming and numbering at the time, it could be either, but I think mine looks more likely.

Any thoughts ?

Looking at the 1925 directory, I would say that Dave is correct.

your marker vox (red arrow) is Court 3 Stockton Street.

BRAMBER STREET.

(127 Spital hill)

Spital Street

1 Booth James Brownson, grocer.

Court 1

Bramber place

Court 3

Court 5

...... Brunswick Road ......

Court 7

Court 9

47 Jackson Jsph. Barber, boot repr.

Court 11

Court 13

Court 15

Court 17

71 Main Albert, foreman painter.

Looking at the 1925 directory, I would say that Dave is correct.

your marker vox (red arrow) is Court 3 Stockton Street.

Just making sure. Ta

Any thoughts ?

Yes we have come across this before with the court system haven't we.

Just looking at the full map with all the courts on shows what a haphazard and very confusing mess the whole system was.

My only thoughts on it are I am glad I was not a postman, milkman, coalman or any other sort of delivery man at the time these courts existed.

Guest gpl777

Very interesting topic: 1. the court/house numbering system; 2. the fact that courts of back-to-backs were still around in the 1950s. I knew that the building of them was prohibited in the latter part of the 19th century and that this was generally well observed by most municipal corporations and boroughs (one notable exception being Leeds). I understood that existing courts remained in use for some time, but had no idea they were in use as late as the 1950s.

Very interesting topic: 1. the court/house numbering system; 2. the fact that courts of back-to-backs were still around in the 1950s. I knew that the building of them was prohibited in the latter part of the 19th century and that this was generally well observed by most municipal corporations and boroughs (one notable exception being Leeds). I understood that existing courts remained in use for some time, but had no idea they were in use as late as the 1950s.

I was born in the 1950's and lived in a court at the time. We moved out under slum clearance in 1958. My grandmother lived in a court until 1962.

I think people just stayed in them until they were condemmed and demolished and this didn't happen until alternative council housing could be found,

Many new council estates in Sheffeilds outer suburbs were built at this time, and even closer in to the City centre there were new developments like Park Hill Flats where people in the courts could be rehoused.