Heeley Bypass

muddycoffee

Has there ever been a discussion on here about the Heeley Bypass. This fascinating subject has been interesting to me for a number of years. Even today the results of this abandoned project shape a big section of the south of sheffield and in recent years I was in touch with a road planning guy who got me some inside information.

I am particularly interested in the route out of the city. And would like to hear any more information, if there was any available about a large roundabout that was once proposed in abbeydale which would have resulted in the loss of a great deal of property including the Abbey Glen laundry and lots of houses.

Guest Danny

Look here

http://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/a61m/

It was to be part of the urban motorway scheme to compete with the likes of Manchester and Birimingham etc.

The rest of that site is quite interesting too, if you're sad like me anyway.

There is a thread either on here or SF about it somewhere too.

Dan

One of the problems in Sheffield is the incomplete circle of the ring road round the south of the city. There was a plan that would have brought it up to Ringinglow Road at the top of Common Lane where there would have been a roundabout, then down Common Lane. Unfortunately I've no idea of the rest of the proposed route. Anyone know?

One of the problems in Sheffield is the incomplete circle of the ring road round the south of the city. There was a plan that would have brought it up to Ringinglow Road at the top of Common Lane where there would have been a roundabout, then down Common Lane. Unfortunately I've no idea of the rest of the proposed route. Anyone know?

The only bit I know about was that it was going to cut down Den Bank and along the hillside below St. Anthony's Road to somehow connect up to Hillsborough Corner I believe.

When we lived on St. Anthony's there was some sort of planning blight on the land below St. Anthony's, which was only lifted in the late eighties when notices appeared on lamp posts stating that this section of the Outer Ring Road had been formally abandoned.

HD

Addendum.

Found it on Wikiwotsits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sheffield_Outer_Ring_Road_%281948%29.gif

HD

I was sure there had been discussion on here, but I can't find anything.

Here's a start, anyway

Heeley By-Pass

Good Find, that is Haydn's site. He wrote that section because I badgered him into doing it.