The Yorkshire Ripper - Peter Sutcliffe - Arrested In Sheffield.. But Where ?

Sheffield History

Does anyone know the exact spot that Peter Sutcliffe the Yorkshire Ripper was arrested in Sheffield ?

I remember Sheffield being in absolute panic stricken terror around that time

Women didn't go out at night...

I remember Sheffield being in absolute panic stricken terror around that time

Women didn't go out at night...

Pulled up for driving a car on false number plates and ended up facing multiple charges of murder.

There was also a very lucky young lady in the car with him that had a very narrow escape from becoming another victim of his crimes

Guest Danny

The spot is now within the grounds, of sorts, of Sheffield High School.

My other half has taken me to the spot a few times.

One week before the Ripper was caught, Sgt Robert Ring (the one on the right in the photo) arrested me for an escapade involving a BSA Bantam, that later required me to make an appearance in court. I'm sure that Sgt Ring's performance was honed by dealing with me in the week prior......

The spot is now within the grounds, of sorts, of Sheffield High School.

My other half has taken me to the spot a few times.

I would be very worried about that, especially if she had a hammer and other tools / weapons in the boot of the car :o

One week before the Ripper was caught, Sgt Robert Ring (the one on the right in the photo) arrested me for an escapade involving a BSA Bantam, that later required me to make an appearance in court. I'm sure that Sgt Ring's performance was honed by dealing with me in the week prior......

So are you suggesting that you were driving a motorcycle on false number plates and got caught by Sgt. Ring and this gave him the necessary experience in spotting and catching people driving on false number plates and so allowed him, a week later, to arrest the Yorkshire Ripper on a similar charge? ;-)

If so I suppose you could claim some of the credit for having caught the Yorkshire Ripper.

Guest noelogara

Sutcliffe was four days hanging around Sheffield before he was arrested.

He had been eliminated 12 times by the West Yorkshire police.

Did you know that the chief constable of South Yorkshire police ordered his arresting cops never to discuss the arrest?

You might ask why.

Sutcliffe was four days hanging around Sheffield before he was arrested.

He had been eliminated 12 times by the West Yorkshire police.

Did you know that the chief constable of South Yorkshire police ordered his arresting cops never to discuss the arrest?

You might ask why.

Welcome to Sheffield History Noelogara and thank you for posting.

What a very interesting and thought provoking first post.

I wonder why the officers were banned from talking about it?

What when they retire from the force, can they talk about it then?

What if they talk in confidence to family and friends and they leak it to the press?

If you wanted to stop someone talking about it for sensitive reasons then like many pieces of Police work it would come under The Official Secrets Act, which all police officers have to sign up to. If it was that bad they could even cover it with a 30, 40, 50, 100 year ban on it.

As for hanging around in Sheffield?

There are a lot of people who think he should have been hung!

Interesting the ban on talking about it...

Wonder why ?

It usually means that someone has got something to hide.

This Ripper investigation was not with out its problems, and did drag on a lot longer than it should have done.

The most famous problem, which set the investigation back, were the hoax calls made John Humble, these calls were for a long time considered genuine.

Also I believe the police did interview Sutcliffe many times.

This Ripper investigation was not with out its problems, and did drag on a lot longer than it should have done.

The most famous problem, which set the investigation back, were the hoax calls made John Humble, these calls were for a long time considered genuine.

Also I believe the police did interview Sutcliffe many times.

Yes, and every time they were delayed or thrown off the track by hoaxes it meant that women were still at risk.

Some probably were killed that could have been saved if there had been no hoaxes and the ripper had been caught earlier.

Guest noelogara

You are right Dave, about the talk ban. Those cops would be disciplined and could lose the job or pension or worst case scenario be stitched up for something to shut them up.

So what did they have to hide?

Surely if they really caught the Ripper, they would be regarded as heroes.

So why did the West Yorkshire cops tell them to release him? We know him. He had been eliminated twelve times by them. They didnt want him.They knew him so well.

Now the Sheffield cops were holding this man and they thought he might be the Ripper. They had a photofit picture of the Ripper suspect on their notice board and it bore a strong resemblance to the bearded man they were holding. He was from Bradford and here he was caught in the red light district of Sheffield. They later found that he hdd thrown a hammer behind the oil tank at the house where he was parked when arrested and he asked to go for a pee. They later let him use the toilet in the station and later found a knife that he concealed clumsily in the cistern. They found that he had false number plates on his car. They found him with a prostitute yet he didnt want her for sex. And intriguingly they got a phone call just minutes before he was arrested telling them that a suspicious car was parked outside that house. Sutcliffe was seen exiting a phone box just before he picked up Olivia Reivers, the prostitute he was arrested with. He couldnt offer an explanation for why he was parked up with a prostitute and when they first approached him he gave them a false name. So they were holding this disheavelled, dirty and smelly man who obviously hadnt washed for a week and he was driving a square shaped rover car that resembled the car that was seen at the scene of the last Ripper murder in Headingly Leeds.

He was taken into an interview room and asked to strip after they found the knife in the toilet.

Under his trousers Sutcliffe had no underwear but he had a sweater with the arms of it pulled up on his legs and his privates hanging out at the head of the sweater.

Now wasnt that a sight to behold? It would be enough to send the station into a fit of laughter that would last the night.

Could that be why the chief constable ordered his men not to talk about the man they arrested?

You are right Dave, about the talk ban. Those cops would be disciplined and could lose the job or pension or worst case scenario be stitched up for something to shut them up.

So what did they have to hide?

Surely if they really caught the Ripper, they would be regarded as heroes.

So why did the West Yorkshire cops tell them to release him? We know him. He had been eliminated twelve times by them. They didnt want him.They knew him so well.

Now the Sheffield cops were holding this man and they thought he might be the Ripper. They had a photofit picture of the Ripper suspect on their notice board and it bore a strong resemblance to the bearded man they were holding. He was from Bradford and here he was caught in the red light district of Sheffield. They later found that he hdd thrown a hammer behind the oil tank at the house where he was parked when arrested and he asked to go for a pee. They later let him use the toilet in the station and later found a knife that he concealed clumsily in the cistern. They found that he had false number plates on his car. They found him with a prostitute yet he didnt want her for sex. And intriguingly they got a phone call just minutes before he was arrested telling them that a suspicious car was parked outside that house. Sutcliffe was seen exiting a phone box just before he picked up Olivia Reivers, the prostitute he was arrested with. He couldnt offer an explanation for why he was parked up with a prostitute and when they first approached him he gave them a false name. So they were holding this disheavelled, dirty and smelly man who obviously hadnt washed for a week and he was driving a square shaped rover car that resembled the car that was seen at the scene of the last Ripper murder in Headingly Leeds.

He was taken into an interview room and asked to strip after they found the knife in the toilet.

Under his trousers Sutcliffe had no underwear but he had a sweater with the arms of it pulled up on his legs and his privates hanging out at the head of the sweater.

Now wasnt that a sight to behold? It would be enough to send the station into a fit of laughter that would last the night.

Could that be why the chief constable ordered his men not to talk about the man they arrested?

Welcome to Sheffield History noelogara and thank you for posting.

I think, that like my any other cases, including the classic "who assassinated JFK?" we will never find out the real truth.

...and after all, in the case of Sutcliffe, regardless of how they really caught him, at least he is now behind bars and locked up where he can't commit any more murders.

I think it's probably more important, and more reassuring, to know that he is safely out of the way than to know how he was caught.

Given that he had given West Yorkshire Police the slip several times, leaving him free to carry on killing I think the 2 South Yorkshire PC's that arrested him, silenced about their actions or not, did a good job that night.

Guest noelogara

I agree Dave that they did a good job that night but the West Yorkshire police knew Sutcliffe was not the Ripper. There were two killers mixed up in the murders and Sutcliffe was one of them. He was the copycat killer and they knew that but didnt want to arrest him because they were more concentrated on getting their hands on the real Ripper.

To do that they were waiting for him to to move and Sutcliffe spoiled their game by getting himself arrested in an outside force area.

Sutcliffe was eliminated because he was O blood group. The Ripper was B.

Once the press got hold of it there was no stopping the panic and their hand was forced to hold him.

Thats why Brownlow ordered them not to talk.

I agree Dave that they did a good job that night but the West Yorkshire police knew Sutcliffe was not the Ripper. There were two killers mixed up in the murders and Sutcliffe was one of them. He was the copycat killer and they knew that but didnt want to arrest him because they were more concentrated on getting their hands on the real Ripper.

To do that they were waiting for him to to move and Sutcliffe spoiled their game by getting himself arrested in an outside force area.

Sutcliffe was eliminated because he was O blood group. The Ripper was B.

Once the press got hold of it there was no stopping the panic and their hand was forced to hold him.

Thats why Brownlow ordered them not to talk.

So are you suggesting that the real Yorkshire Ripper is NOT Sutcliffe!!! :o

You'll be trying to tell me next that it wasn't Lee Harvey Oswald who shot JFK he he

If the "real" Yorkshire Ripper was not caught why have there been no further Ripper style murders since Sutcliffes arrest?

The plot thickens <_<

Chosen for newspaper images of the time; not read any of it - just for information/misinformation.

Conspiracy theory? <_<

Guest noelogara

Think about it Dave. The detectives are not idiots. Once is enough to eliminate any suspect.

They interviewed Sutcliffe 12 times. He was blood tested. His teeth pattern taken and compared with the Ripper's teeth left on two victims breasts. His voice and handwriting samples taken. In short he was so well known to the police that they proved beyond all doubt that he was not the Ripper.

He came to their attention so much because he was reported by friends, his car was seen in the red light areas so frequently, he resembled a photofit of himself because that attack was wrongly attributed to the Ripper.

In 2005 he admitted in broadmoor that the didnt do all the murders and he was writing a book but the authorities never let that out again.