Manor Lane Ww1 Anti Aircraft Gun Site

mick851

I know Ive mentioned this before, but after seeing the site the other day, i thought it would be better under the title " Sheffield places - now gone " I went to have a look at the old ww1 gun site saturday, only to find out most of it has either been bulldozed or filled in, only the circular gun pit still survives intact.....up to now! To get a good idea what the site used to look like, if you go on google earth, look at Manor Cottage Farm, the site is at the side of Manor Lane in between the farm house and the road then use the time line to 2005, the whole area is in a shadow, so all the plateaus, gun pit and other dug outs are clearly visible. im just glad i took plenty of photos of it last year.

I know Ive mentioned this before, but after seeing the site the other day, i thought it would be better under the title " Sheffield places - now gone " I went to have a look at the old ww1 gun site im just glad i took plenty of photos of it last year.

We spent most of our 6 weeks holidays playing on the old ack-ack site at Parkwood/Shirecliffe in the early 1950`s. At that time only the guns hade been removed everything else was just how it must have been in the war. Oh for a camera then! W/E.

We spent most of our 6 weeks holidays playing on the old ack-ack site at Parkwood/Shirecliffe in the early 1950`s. At that time only the guns hade been removed everything else was just how it must have been in the war. Oh for a camera then! W/E.

The Shirecliffe site was also equipped with rockets, (Z batteries I think they were called.) Being unguided they were pretty 'hit and miss' I think. (More miss than hit!)