Buildings that are not there yet

Hjdary

We have a full section devoted to buildings that are no longer with us, but today I had a thought.

I was on my hands and knees in the new down stairs toilet, fitting some skirting board and my mind started wandering. No. Its nothing to do with my age. It was the boredom of the task at hand!

Anyhoo none of the above gets us to my point. Instead of talking about what is no longer there why not ponder over what is to come.

I think that in fifty years we will be talking about...the new traffic island in front of the Midland Station. As I've lived here fifteen years, I have already seen three different layouts there so I think we should, by then have had at least another eight or so.

We might also see that the current spending on "council houses" will have bankrupted the City Council and developers will be pulling down the remaining houses, no doubt blaming the poor quality of the work done in the early 2000's and we will be seeing tower blocks put in their place. Probably, some red braced P.R exce will give them a catchy tag line...something like "Streets in the Skies".

In the center of the City we will see well meaning Government bodies taking pity on those poor unfortunates, living in the back to back slum flats that were built at the turn of the century on the sites of former buildings such as Pubs, Petrol Stations and Garden sheds. They will look at regenerating the flats...maybe bidding for the 2050 World Obese Student Games.

The games will involve refitting the flats out at a ridiculous cost which the Council will struggle to pay back.

Each room in the flats will have a sofa, fridge (to put your WKD Tart fuel in) and a internet linked sixteen foot blue ray solar driven plasma screen in, which the "Athlete" can sit in front of to do battle with others around the world, on a on-line game of Tomb Raider V.30976/253.

Those moved out of the flats to accommodate the athletes will be moved into new sky scraper flats at NEW SHEFFIELD.

The CITY ON THE UP, out of town developments, will be built at places such as Graves Park, Botanical Gardens and Hillsborough Park, which in 2017 were turned over to a "off shore commodities" company who got rid of all the grass areas and built Thousands of small one bedroom flats for the elderly and the stupid.

Those living in the Flats will travel to and from their jobs at Subway or Tesco using the "Minitram".

Sometime in 2020 Stagecoach will talk the Council into borrowing more money to pay for a monorail system which will link areas of the City together. Other Cities such as Newcastle and Norwich will also get their tax payers to contribute to the scheme after the same red braced P.R guru mentioned above offers them some "Transport Solutions" and promises to extend the Minitram to their Cities once its up and running in Sheffield.

Doncaster and Rotherham were given the first refusal but for some strange reason they declined.

If any of the above comes true, then you will know my real name was Sam Tyler and I had a accident in the 2050's and woke up in 2007 am I in a..........blah blah (Can't remember the rest)

Do you work in Sheffield City planning department???? You must be psychic otherwise. he he

Once saw a sticker in the back of someones car and it said "City planners do it with their eyes shut" that explains it all. lol

I think there will be an underpass that will take you under the Park Square roundabout - so that if you are travelling from the train station - you just go straight on - under the park square roundabout through a tunnel - and out the other side onto the Parkway !

(GREAT thread by the way !)

I think there will be an underpass that will take you under the Park Square roundabout - so that if you are travelling from the train station - you just go straight on - under the park square roundabout through a tunnel - and out the other side onto the Parkway !

(GREAT thread by the way !)

I think there will be some fish in there too!

I think there will be some fish in there too!

Excellent post . You dont by chance know this weeks lottery numbers??

Excellent post . You dont by chance know this weeks lottery numbers??

I bet I could tell you the losing numbers!!

Will have to send that one to my mum in Brid, I said it had rained a bit over the last few days.

Sue

Will have to send that one to my mum in Brid, I said it had rained a bit over the last few days.

Sue

Was thinking of all the rain we have had when i created it, anyone who has photoshop and wants to have a go the tutorial is Here

Is the above really the result of global warming or has the security dude at the peace gardens just forgot to turn the fountain off at night!

According to this photoshop tutorial, it was one woman with a bucket who did it ???

No wonder she's laughing. lol