Sheffield Castle

syrup

Further to our discusion in The Fat Cat about the Castle that was i have found this.

http://www.sheffieldmarkets.co.uk/sheffiel...vestigation.php

I've seen that, nice posting :rolleyes: , so now the question is which way round is it ? Where would the drawbridge be in modern Sheffield ?

Another question for you, is that a River or a moat on the near side of the engraving ?

Guest Jeremy

now the question is which way round is it ? Where would the drawbridge be in modern Sheffield ?

As far as I know, this engraving is totally fictional--there are no known drawings of the castle that were made whilst it was still standing. However, were this engraving drawn from life, the artist would have been to the south/south west of the castle. Lady's Bridge is in the top left corner, the Don is running behind the castle, the moat is in the foreground.

Jeremy

As far as I know, this engraving is totally fictional--there are no known drawings of the castle that were made whilst it was still standing. However, were this engraving drawn from life, the artist would have been to the south/south west of the castle. Lady's Bridge is in the top left corner, the Don is running behind the castle, the moat is in the foreground.

Jeremy

Indeed, I've read somewhere about the supposed dimensions of the moat ... can't for the life of me remember where lol

Indeed, I've read somewhere about the supposed dimensions of the moat ... can't for the life of me remember where lol

Not sure of the dimensions other than I have read that it was thought that the moat was almost 30 feet deep and was filled by water from the Don & Sheaf.

Jeremy

Checking Picture Sheffield there is a totaly different Castle design.

Don't think this image has been posted. it's from a Robin Hood website

It does appear open to artistic impression what the

castle actually looked like

I like that ! Makes me feel like Maid Marion .......... <cough> or maybe not ...

Guest tsavo

Caption says fron the time of Edward 3rd, so......

Edward III (1327-1377 AD)

Do you think the artist was good on Castles but not on hills or was Sheffield a lot flatter before they built it into a City i suppose they had to put the earth from digging the foundations over the years some where.

Guest tsavo

Good point, never noticed the lack of hills! Now I know why I never won a Blue Pater badge!

Good point, never noticed the lack of hills! Now I know why I never won a Blue Pater badge!

The muck and earth from digging the moat, went on to produce Castle Hill, there wasn't a hill there before ! Dig a hole for a moat, bung it on a heap, produce a hill, plop a wooden Castle on the top, wait 700 years, sell jeans from Harringtons .... easy-peasy ...