And Again

RichardB

Railways still show their Pre-Nationalisation Names, so pre 1948 or around their.

As it's based on an Ordnance Survey Map there could be a difference between the actual date and the publication Date

In that case it's the publication date we are after pinning down.

Railways still show their Pre-Nationalisation Names, so pre 1948 or around their.

As it's based on an Ordnance Survey Map there could be a difference between the actual date and the publication Date

After 1808 since Town Hall II of IV isn't stuck out in the middle of the road.

(I'll get mi coat and shurrup ...)

The photo is from the same publication as the map, meant as anadditional teaser ...

I know the answer to this one, so I'll say nothing.

So do I as you have only posted an image and no question.

It is a map of Sheffield ;-)

I suppose you intended to ask us its publication date.

OK,

The Arbourthorne estate and most of the Manor is on the map. This was built in 1935-6 so the map must be after that.

However, Algar Place and Algar Drive are missing from the map. These 2 cul de sacs were built in 1945-6 when the original prefabs were put up just after the war, so the map must be before that.

That seems to narrow it down to a 10 year period around 1935 to 1945.

After 1808 since Town Hall II of IV isn't stuck out in the middle of the road. (I'll get mi coat and shurrup ...) The photo is from the same publication as the map, meant as anadditional teaser ...

After 1839 as it is a photograph produced from an optical image recorded on a silver halide light sensitive emulsion

(Narrows it down a bit for you Richard)

The photo is from the same publication as the map, meant as anadditional teaser ...

The photo seems consistent with my current wide estimate of 1935 to 1945 for the date of the map.

OK,

The Arbourthorne estate and most of the Manor is on the map. This was built in 1935-6 so the map must be after that.

However, Algar Place and Algar Drive are missing from the map. These 2 cul de sacs were built in 1945-6 when the original prefabs were put up just after the war, so the map must be before that.

St. Aidens Road is marked as Arbourthorne Road, and a dotted link is shown for the once proposed link to the proper Arbourthorne Road on the Arbourthorne estate which would cut across the Jervis Lum. It was never built.

I think late 30's (37 to 39) is the most likely date for this map.

"In that case it's the publication date we are after pinning down." -

Quote from post #5 lol

So do I as you have only posted an image and no question.

It is a map of Sheffield ;-)

I suppose you intended to ask us its publication date.

Excellent use of local knowledge - just what we need.

Thanks Dave.

OK,

One for the New Year ?

Are you suggesting with this comment and the what year(s) bit that it is a new picture and so, being taking in either December or January it will straddle 2 years?

No, no such suggestion Dave. The publication does cover two years in the style of 2012-2013.

I was thinking more of a candidate for a Calendar page.

Are you suggesting with this comment and the what year(s) bit that it is a new picture and so, being taking in either December or January it will straddle 2 years?

o such suggestion Dave. The publication does

No, no such suggestion Dave. The publication does cover two years in the style of 2012-2013.

I was thinking more of a candidate for a Calendar page.

o such suggestion Dave. The publication does

Ooh Arr it's a calendar page alreyt, a gud 'un.

But, - so it does cover 2 years!

You said you knew the answer to this "find the publication date / year puzzle" and yet you only know it to within 2 years.

I've already narrowed it down to 10.

I know it to within two years because it's currently sat on the breakfast bar i.e. I own it. On the cover it says 19xx-xx.

Ooh Arr it's a calendar page alreyt, a gud 'un.

But, - so it does cover 2 years!

You said you knew the answer to this "find the publication date / year puzzle" and yet you only know it to within 2 years.

I've already narrowed it down to 10.

I know it to within two years because it's currently sat on the breakfast bar i.e. I own it. On the cover it says 19xx-xx.

In that case I'll take a guess at 1937-38, or even 1938-39