Bought A Map ...

RichardB

Haven't had a chance to investigate it yet - dates from sometime or other .... one to ponder on.

You've bought a map, - paid good money for it

...and you don't know where it is a map of or when it was made! :o

It could be a map of the moon from a 17th century original sketch taken through Galileo's original telescope.

That's it ... Galileo Moon-Map.com, £48.2 million, bargain ...

You've bought a map, - paid good money for it

...and you don't know where it is a map of or when it was made! :o

It could be a map of the moon from a 17th century original sketch taken through Galileo's original telescope.

No date; City Hall is on there ...

So, it's newer than about 1931(City Hall) then, but older than 1971(Imperial pricing)

That narrows it down to a 40 year mid 20th century period then.

Any chance of posting some of it for us to look at or giving us a few more clues to narrow it down even further?

No date; City Hall is on there ...

We have 2 versions on the site, the one Steve has linked to and in the same topic a version I have posted.

The one I posted was by popular thinking at the time dated as 1954 with a price of 4/- and 7/6 for the cloth version

Gramps version is also colour and looks a similar vintage, but with a lower price 3/- and 6/-, so probably dates from the around 1950 - 1954.

This probably makes this version at 5/6 for cloth, late 1940's.

Is it Colour ?

It needs scanning, by a man with a large scanner :rolleyes:

It will then make an good discussion topic to be dated.

Cheaper than the one linked by Steve, therefore probably older. Tried looking at Peace Gardens area but right slap bang on a join (worn out bit). Will try to scan more for consideration - what else would assist in terms of year ? New roads ? New buildings ?

Worthy of discussion...

So, it's newer than about 1931(City Hall) then, but older than 1971(Imperial pricing)

That narrows it down to a 40 year mid 20th century period then.

Any chance of posting some of it for us to look at or giving us a few more clues to narrow it down even further?

It is colour.

We have 2 versions on the site, the one Steve has linked to and in the same topic a version I have posted. The one I posted was by popular thinking at the time dated as 1954 with a price of 4/- and 7/6 for the cloth version Gramps version is also colour and looks a similar vintage, but with a lower price 3/- and 6/-, so probably dates from the around 1950 - 1954. This probably makes this version at 5/6 for cloth, late 1940's. Is it Colour ? It needs scanning, by a man with a large scanner :rolleyes: It will then make an good discussion topic to be dated.

Significant demolitions? Nothing significant showing at Marples site - need to determine pre or post war - hence my looking at Peace Gardens (down in 1938).

Map currently 30 miles away; happy to post it.

Would a better, higher-res scan of the football tin help identify that item ?

Cheaper than the one linked by Steve, therefore probably older. Tried looking at Peace Gardens area but right slap bang on a join (worn out bit). Will try to scan more for consideration - what else would assist in terms of year ? New roads ? New buildings ? Worthy of discussion...

On the map :

Corn Exchange

City Hall

Change Alley (early 1960's when this went ???)

Button Lane

School on Leopold Street

Tram Depot Hawley Street/Tenter Street - this is where my impressive knowledge of all things Transport will help ... Yeah right.

Confirm that the area of the Peace Gardens, which may or may not have had a church on it is right in the join/fold of the map and is pretty much obliterated ...

Devonshire Street, Eldon Street, Chester Street, Chester Lane all looking intact.

Hipp. on Cambridge Street.

timestamp='1332349625' post='103884']

Bow Street shown at end of West Street.

Castle Market (presumably) shown off Waingate.

What year did Bow Street become West Street (continuation of) ?

it was after 1938, pre 1954.

I'm sure we have an estimated answer on here, but I can not locate the post.

Transport to the rescue ! lol

October 1940 or before then, Great information MadAnnie.

Neepsend Station is shown as open: it closed in October 1940

After 1938 before October 1940 - narrowing down nicely.

What happened in 1939 (apart from "that event") - any dates stones or knowledge of builds or demolitions, fires ...... , shame about the Church at the Peace Gardens (named, as we all know after Charlie Peace ... he he )

What year did Bow Street become West Street (continuation of) ?

it was after 1938, pre 1954.

I'm sure we have an estimated answer on here, but I can not locate the post.

Neepsend Station is shown as open: it closed in October 1940

Good call MA,

also shown as open on ) but no St Pauls Church (Pinstone Street)

demolished 1938.