Off For An Ecg Tomorrow ...

RichardB

Think they are trying to work out how I'm still standing, or, maybe an excuse for another bunch of tablets ....

Think they are trying to work out how I'm still standing, or, maybe an excuse for another bunch of tablets ....

It's quick, it's painless and unless you have serious heart problems, its nothing to worry about.

Then again if you do have hidden heart problems its better that the ECG shows this and something can then be done about the underlying problem rather than not know there is anything wrong and suffer for it in the longer term.

Of all the tests they did on me, most of them, including the ECG, came back clear and showing now problems, it is a routine test, it saves lives by spotting heart problems before they become a problem.

Hope it goes well for you ;-)

I'm hoping for a cheerful early-Eighties disco-pop-type beat ... maybe a Gergio Moeroder or whatever he was called.

It's quick, it's painless and unless you have serious heart problems, its nothing to worry about.

Then again if you do have hidden heart problems its better that the ECG shows this and something can then be done about the underlying problem rather than not know there is anything wrong and suffer for it in the longer term.

Of all the tests they did on me, most of them, including the ECG, came back clear and showing now problems, it is a routine test, it saves lives by spotting heart problems before they become a problem.

Hope it goes well for you ;-)

I'm hoping for a cheerful early-Eighties disco-pop-type beat ... maybe a Gergio Moeroder or whatever he was called.

Measures more than just your heartbeat Richard.

Involves lying relaxed on a couch with loads of electrodes and wires attached to your chest, arms and legs and it plots a nice graph of the beat showing systolic and diastolic sections as the heart contracts and relaxes in each beat. The graph can detect irregular beats, uneven and badly timed changes between heart chambers, weakened heart muscle, leaking heart valves, hole in the heart conditions and a whole host of other heart and circulation problems.

Just what Dave says. There are many reasons to make it necessary. Mine was a fairly and sudden high blood pressure, although it's usually low. Reason: too much acid..

My heart was like a "picture book" they told me.

It's worth having it done, Doesn't always mean there is something wrong with the heart but this way they can eliminate.

Yours heartily!!

Gill

timestamp='1332255336' post='103837']

Perfectly fine - so that'll give the Doctor the green light to up my dosage. ..

Did they shave your chest to attach the electrodes ?

Sounds a bit like Frankenstein to me lol

The people that manage my lymphoedema have instructed me that I'm not to let any health professional do anything to my left leg including just sticking a gel covered electrode to my leg.

The ECG technicians get around this by sticking the thing to the sole of my foot.

Where there's a will there's a way (and greedy relatives). :)

HD

They shaved my "man-bits" but I think that was just a joke.

Perfectly fine - so that'll give the Doctor the green light to up my dosage. ..

No it won't

If the ECG shows you are perfectly fine why would you need any medication at all for something that is not even a problem in the first place.

Medicines are prescribed to treat symptoms.

The ECG is showing that there are no symptoms

So no medication is needed.

Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

No

They are just placed on the skin with a bit of gel type stuff to get a contact and held in place with a bit of sticky tape.

So if you are a bit hairy it tends to rip them out a bit when they take them off.

Suppose it's a bit like a mild version of hair removal by waxing.

Sounds a bit like Frankenstein to me lol

Frankensteins monster only had 2 electrodes, - on his neck and he could only have the ECG done during a thunderstorm :P

They shaved my "man-bits" but I think that was just a joke.

Gillettte, Wilkinsons Sword, or one of those things with 2 or 3 baldes that shave you closer still.

No, don't tell me, it was one of those cheap disposable BIC razors that rip you to pieces.

The ECG was to enable the new Doctor to know I was able to take a doubling of my blood pressure medicine, wish they would leave me alone he he

No it won't

If the ECG shows you are perfectly fine why would you need any medication at all for something that is not even a problem in the first place.

Medicines are prescribed to treat symptoms.

The ECG is showing that there are no symptoms

So no medication is needed.

Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Either they shaved me bits or it was entirely painless and involved nothing more than some sticky pads which didn't hurt one bit - one is potentially amusing, the other dull - you choose. I just know it took a team of six attractive blondes and brunettes and red-heads nearly 6 hours to get me under control - probably (or it was over in 25 minutes - including waiting time). he he

I do know I was reading Historical Notes on Sheffield Druggists in the waiting time.

No

They are just placed on the skin with a bit of gel type stuff to get a contact and held in place with a bit of sticky tape.

So if you are a bit hairy it tends to rip them out a bit when they take them off.

Suppose it's a bit like a mild version of hair removal by waxing.

The ECG was to enable the new Doctor to know I was able to take a doubling of my blood pressure medicine, wish they would leave me alone he he

How many different TYPES of blood pressure medication are you on?

There are 4 different ways of lowering BP and it is more common to prescribe more than one type of medication for it, requiring 2, 3 or 4 different tablets rather than just increasing the dosage of one particular type of medication.

Just the one Amlodipine. 5mg - about to be doubled up if the egc is indeed fine.

OK,

Amlodipine is a blood pressure reducing drug which is a type called calcium channel blockers. It is one of the most commonly prescribed drugs for hypertension because it is cheap to produce, very effective at controlling blood pressure, relatively safe if used as prescribed and does not usually have unpleasant side effects.

Like all hypertension drugs it is prescribed for life as it removes the symptoms not the cause and as over the long term it puts an extra load on the kidneys and liver it involves having regular blood tests and other tests (like ECG's) to spot any problems early.

The normal dose is 5mg and is usually very effective. Over time BP can still creep up and so the dose may need to be increased, or another type of BP medication (not a calcium channel blocker) given as well.

If they are going to double your dose to 10mg yes it may involve taking twice as many tablets (2 lots of 5mg tablets per day) or it could still be a single tablet but containing 10mg in one dose. If this is the case you would still be on the same number of tablets per day.

Will they prescribe Smarties or Maltesers or Black Bullets instead ? - do they get paid by numbers (Smarties are smaller), volume (Bigger), or weight (Black Bullets must be heavier and local) - or just the fact I'm not dead quite yet ?

If this is the case you would still be on the same number of tablets per day.

Will they prescribe Smarties or Maltesers or Black Bullets instead ? - do they get paid by numbers (Smarties are smaller), volume (Bigger), or weight (Black Bullets must be heavier and local) - or just the fact I'm not dead quite yet ?

No just Amlopidine, either 10mg or 2 x 5mg.

Anyway, I am a CHEMIST, not a DISPENSING CHEMIST or a doctor!