Building Conservation Barriers - Questionnaire For Dissertation Needs Completing

Guest kissyface

Guest kissyface

Hi

I'm currently doing my primary research on building conservation issues and why it's so difficult to get people to do it properly or do it at all.

I need a few people to complete a questionnaire for me, is there anyone out there interested? should only take about an hour. It doesn't need technical knowledge or be particularly interested in conservation (that would offer an interesting cross section) although I know a lot of you out there will have it, it just needs your personal views. Obviously you will remain anonymous unless you say otherwise.

Also if anyone has experience of working in the listing/conservation field that would be really useful info also.

Any answers etc will be kept outside the forum.

Thank you for reading.

K

Guest kissyface

Thank you both. no locality isn't important, finding someone willing to take part is practically impossible so your feedback is fab. I can't attach questionnaire, system won't allow it so I've put the dozen questions below and put my own email address on the bottom. Thank you again. Very grateful.

K

Stakeholder/Interest Groups Feedback

1. What is your interpretation on the term ‘building conservation’? ie do you see it as putting the building in stasis? Repairing to maintain? Restoring for commercial use?

2. Why do you think a building should become listed? It is due to the age? rarity? Or because of its cultural context (original purpose/society of the time/the people using it) or other (and explain) ?

3. Have your opinions changed over time eg when you were in your twenties did they feel the same way? If there has been a change, what do you think caused this change ?

4. How do you think media reflects building use eg does the ‘restoration man’ encourage the general public to badly restore historical buildings?

5. Do you think the current ideas on building preservation is a reflection of current society/culture? Ie does economics/politics/fashion change how we view historical buildings?

6. How do you view the re-use of historic buildings eg should it be available for all as a museum piece or a working and learning building (with all that entails)?

7. Do you feel that ownership should take precedence over preservation requirements?

8. Do you travel to historic buildings as a leisure activity? If you wanted to visit somewhere new what considerations would be made before deciding to go ahead? Eg distance, listing status, style of building

9. If you are interested in viewing historic buildings what do they make you feel? ie do you feel nostalgic? Is it a learning experience? Is it a ‘day out’?

10. How ‘honest’ do you expect the historical information presented (ie the building) to be? Are you happy to see a representation of what it would have been like or would you rather see it as it would now be (warts and all)?

11. If a building is of importance would is economically unusable should it be demolished? Should it be ‘frozen’ in its current form or should we expect to throw money as it because it is important?

12. Have you any direct experience of the listing/conservation process ? would you mind giving a brief description and your opinions on both good and bad areas of the process and how you think it could be improved.

Please email back to katherinesteele65@googlemail.com. If you can get anyone else interested in completing I’m happy for you to copy and circulate. I have a deadline of end of April to pull the responses together.

Huge thank you again for helping with this.

Guest kissyface

Hi Guys

I haven't received any of my questionnaires back so wondered whether you still had the time to do it?

K

Guest kissyface

Huge thank you, all questionnaires received and extremely helpful.

Next stop is lurking outside Butcher Works and accosting passersby, not looking forward to that one.

Good luck with that, try not to get arrested!

I sympathise, not the easiest of things to do, unless you've a thick skin and an extrovert personality.