Record Shops Inventory

History dude

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on Record shops in the area. Listing who they were and where.

I'll start the ball rolling with some scans of record sleeves which promote the shop and tell you where it was. Perhaps others can fill in the details like how long they operated and when they opened later.

First Philip Cann who's was an early seller and lasted some time as these covers date to different periods. By the way any records in them are not what they might have first had in them, so you can't date them from them!

Wilson Peck The building is still there.

Next a Rotherham Shop called Sheard's. On the back is an advert for Songster Needles. So much older than the Mario Lanza record inside it.

Philip Aug Cann, music seller.

2 & 4 Dixon Lane.

Wilson Peck Limited, music warehouse.

Fargate.

Richard Sheard, gramophone dealer,

34 Westgate, Rotherham.

Bradleys Records had several branches in Sheffield. One I know was on Chapel Walk. I believe there was one on Fargate. That was the main branch. I was once told by a record company rep (on another forum) that he knew for certain that it was the only place in Sheffield that supplied the British Market Research Bureau with sales figures for the UK Top 50 Chart. The one used by the BBC for Top of the Pops!

Independant dealer, Middlewood Road 1972-1977, bought Life on Mars there, also God Save the Queen by The Pistols, just along from Taplin Road, opposite side to Woolies.

Sine Electrical at Broomhill (also sold irons, kettles etc)

Rare & Racy 166 Devonshire Street

Windmill Records ended up on the Wicker, but I recall them starting on Devonshire Street

Violet May's Matilda Street

One on Cambridge Street, mostly secondhand, just down from the Albert

Woolworths (had own "Embassy" label for cheap copies of hit records by imposters)

Guest Arch Stanton

Spent lots of time and money in all of these over the years:

Roulette Records (near Blue Bell)

KD Records - Castle Market

Chantry Records (various locations including premises near The Sheaf Market and Hillsborough)

Spin City - The Gallery/Castle Market

Hitsville Records - Rockingham Street

Jacks Records - Division Street

Warp Records - Division Street

Kennys Records - The Wicker

Fon - Division Street

Our Price - The Moor

Fopp - Division Street

Independant dealer, Middlewood Road 1972-1977, bought Life on Mars there, also God Save the Queen by The Pistols, just along from Taplin Road, opposite side to Woolies.

Was this the imaginatively named Hillsborough Records? If so they were still there in the 80s when we lived nearby. Used to get loads of promo copies in from record reps.

Bradleys Records had several branches in Sheffield. One I know was on Chapel Walk. I believe there was one on Fargate. That was the main branch.

Bradleys actually had branches in other towns in Yorkshire. As far away as Hebden Bridge and Huddersfield.

Think you are right, tiny place. I lived on Dykes Hall Road at the time.

Was this the imaginatively named Hillsborough Records? If so they were still there in the 80s when we lived nearby. Used to get loads of promo copies in from record reps.

Bradleys actually had branches in other towns in Yorkshire. As far away as Hebden Bridge and Huddersfield.

They also had a record label

Here's some of the output from it:

Can't remember the name but there was a record shop on London Road, right hand side going from town about opposite Bennett Street, mostly ex-jukebox, but also ordinary second hand. Remember buying an Iron Butterfly album from there mid 70's

Sine Electrical at Broomhill (also sold irons, kettles etc)

Rare & Racy 166 Devonshire Street

Windmill Records ended up on the Wicker, but I recall them starting on Devonshire Street

Violet May's Matilda Street

One on Cambridge Street, mostly secondhand, just down from the Albert

Woolworths (had own "Embassy" label for cheap copies of hit records by imposters)

That was Amazing Records, who also had a shop in Leeds.

Can't remember the name but there was a record shop on London Road, right hand side going from town about opposite Bennett Street, mostly ex-jukebox, but also ordinary second hand. Remember buying an Iron Butterfly album from there mid 70's

J & B W?

Curtiss Records - top of the moor

Rediffusion Near Atkinsons

Department stores had record sections too:

Pauldens (Debenhams)

Boots

Woolworths

Bradleys Records had several branches in Sheffield. One I know was on Chapel Walk. I believe there was one on Fargate. That was the main branch. I was once told by a record company rep (on another forum) that he knew for certain that it was the only place in Sheffield that supplied the British Market Research Bureau with sales figures for the UK Top 50 Chart. The one used by the BBC for Top of the Pops!

A third Sheffield branch was on Pinstone St, just up fromm Suggs

I was told that Williams on Chesterfield Road also supplied returns for the chart.

There was a record shop at Firth Park Terminus in the late 1950s...I seem to remember it was called Snelsons and the young girl behind the counter was an amazing magnet for lads from Firth Park Grammar School until someone did a bit of shoplifting and the entire school was barred!

They also had a record label

Here's some of the output from it:

I've searched around and there seems to be no link between the Bradley's Record shops and Bradleys record label.

Could be just a coincidence.