73 West Street

Waterside Echo

As a school leaver in the 1950s I remember having to go to this temporary careers office as they wanted details of my new employment. Since then it looks as though all it has needed over the years is a lick of paint, a new tin roof and plastic windows. When you think of all the so called permanent buildings that have come and gone in Sheffield since then it has certainly stood the test of time. W/E.

Is that opposite The Limit (as was). ?

As a school leaver in the 1950s I remember having to go to this temporary careers office as they wanted details of my new employment. Since then it looks as though all it has needed over the years is a lick of paint, a new tin roof and plastic windows. When you think of all the so called permanent buildings that have come and gone in Sheffield since then it has certainly stood the test of time. W/E.

Is that opposite The Limit (as was). ?

Not sure where the Limit was, but it is more or less opposite the Co-op bank. W/E.

I remember going there in the mid-60's to register for my first National Insurance card. I think it was called the Youth Employment Office then?

I remember going there in the mid-60's to register for my first National Insurance card. I think it was called the Youth Employment Office then?

Youth Employment Bureau, in 1965.

At my visit I turned down an apprenticeship, me being in favour of taking a farm labourers job,

wish I could go back in time :mellow:

I went there at the end of 1962 to register. A few days before I'd been for an interview for one of eight places on the A.E.I Traction Division, apprentice training scheme. I was told there were one hundred and sixty applicants 'so I didn't rate my chances.

However the Youth Employment people made a phone call to AEI and told me I'd got a second interview.

The upshot was that I landed a place, early in 1963, on what must have been the best scheme for lads interested in electrical engineering in the area.

I learnt a lot of stuff there that stood me in good stead and met some great mates.

HD

You didn't do much drinking and dancing to late 70's/early 80's pop then I take it ? he he

Not sure where the Limit was, but it is more or less opposite the Co-op bank. W/E.

You didn't do much drinking and dancing to late 70's/early 80's pop then I take it ? he he

City Hall, Mojo, and last but not least The Penny Farthing 1966/67. After that it was just a half or more in the pub at every bus terminus that had one, [and believe me there were many] until marriage and was then old enough to know better! W/E.

The Limit was located in the old Co-operative Wholesale Society clothing factory which was located immediately below the Co-operative Bank. The building was a multi storey square block built I think in red brick.

In fact I think the bank was built in what was a part of the factory.

The factory made overalls and later on jeans.

HD

The Limit was located in the old Co-operative Wholesale Society clothing factory which was located immediately below the Co-operative Bank. The building was a multi storey square block built I think in red brick.

In fact I think the bank was built in what was a part of the factory.

The factory made overalls and later on jeans.

HD