Last Train To Clarkesville

THYLACINE

Just heard today of Davy Jones death from a heart attack last Wednesday.

One small paragraph tucked away in the middle of Sundays paper.

Would be interested to know if his death was more widely reported in the UK media, or did he make his name on the wrong side of the pond?

Didn't see much in the press although there was an obituary in the Grauniad. It made the tv news when first announced.

Strange that THYLACINE should pick "Last Train To Clarkesville" as topic title.

The BBC DJ's., smug so called "experts" on popular music and news reporters have by and large (but not all of them) got it wrong.

Since Davy Jones recent death they have consistently described him as "lead singer with The Monkees" and have insisted on playing the song "I’m A Believer" as a tribute to him.

Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz shared most of the groups vocal work, and were also the groups percussion section, Mickey on drums, Davy usually on tambourine, but occasionally on keyboard.

Davy had a softer voice and sang lead on slower, quieter numbers like "Daydream Believer", "Shades of Grey", "I Want To Be Free", and "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You". Any of these songs would have been a much better Davy Jones tribute for the BBC to play.

Mickey is wacky and loud, a bit of a rocker, he sings lead on MOST of The Monkees hits including "I’m a Believer", "Last Train to Clarkesville", "I’m not your stepping stone", "She", and "Pleasant Valley Sunday" He is a much more prominent lead vocalist with The Monkees than Davy.

So, in many cases, the BBC have payed a tribute to Davy Jones vocal work with the Monkees by playing a song sung by Mickey Dolenz!!! :angry:

Remember young Davy in Coronation Street, if I remember correctly

I think he played Len Fairclough's son. Way way back.

Strange that THYLACINE should pick "Last Train To Clarkesville" as topic title.

The BBC DJ's., smug so called "experts" on popular music and news reporters have by and large (but not all of them) got it wrong.

Since Davy Jones recent death they have consistently described him as "lead singer with The Monkees" and have insisted on playing the song "I’m A Believer" as a tribute to him.

Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz shared most of the groups vocal work, and were also the groups percussion section, Mickey on drums, Davy usually on tambourine, but occasionally on keyboard.

Davy had a softer voice and sang lead on slower, quieter numbers like "Daydream Believer", "Shades of Grey", "I Want To Be Free", and "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You". Any of these songs would have been a much better Davy Jones tribute for the BBC to play.

Mickey is wacky and loud, a bit of a rocker, he sings lead on MOST of The Monkees hits including "I’m a Believer", "Last Train to Clarkesville", "I’m not your stepping stone", "She", and "Pleasant Valley Sunday" He is a much more prominent lead vocalist with The Monkees than Davy.

So, in many cases, the BBC have payed a tribute to Davy Jones vocal work with the Monkees by playing a song sung by Mickey Dolenz!!! :angry:

Last Train to Clarkesville just sounded like a fitting epitaph, I never gave a thought to who the vocalist might be.

But here's one for you Dave, a song I used to love hearing the Monkees sing, so much so, I learned the words off by heart, I could probably do a fair rendition of it now. It goes by the name of Alternate Title (one of the whackiest song titles ever). They were going to call it "Scarce Git" or something like that, but their manager insisted they get an alternate titile for it - so they did.

I wonder who was lead vocalist?

Remember young Davy in Coronation Street, if I remember correctly

I think he played Len Fairclough's son. Way way back.

He played Ena Sharples grandson, Colin Lomax to be precise.

It would be ungentlemanly of me to say the year... -_-

A few years ago another of the group, Mickey Dolenz I think, was in Sheffield, to visit his daughter who was studying at Sheffield University. Not many people know that...

Remember young Davy in Coronation Street, if I remember correctly I think he played Len Fairclough's son. Way way back.

You've got a good memory UKL !

At the other end of the spectrum, almost 50 years on, David Essex gets a role in East Enders. :rolleyes:

A few years ago another of the group, Mickey Dolenz I think, was in Sheffield, to visit his daughter who was studying at Sheffield University. Not many people know that...

My sister-in-law worked for him and his family at one time.

That's right , it must have Herman of the Herman Hermits that played Len Faircloughs son.

It was one or the other.

Last Train to Clarkesville just sounded like a fitting epitaph, I never gave a thought to who the vocalist might be.

But here's one for you Dave, a song I used to love hearing the Monkees sing, so much so, I learned the words off by heart, I could probably do a fair rendition of it now. It goes by the name of Alternate Title (one of the whackiest song titles ever). They were going to call it "Scarce Git" or something like that, but their manager insisted they get an alternate titile for it - so they did.

I wonder who was lead vocalist?

"Alternate Title" other alternative title was "Randy Scouse Git" and was changed as in English (but clearly not American English) this is 3 slang words which could be classed as offensive when put together in this way.

It was written and sung by Mickey Dolenz.

Being American, Dolenz probably didn't appreciate the English meanings of these words fully.

My sister-in-law worked for him and his family at one time.

Although American, Mickey seems to spend a lot of time living and working in Britain.

He seems to have something of a business / career in Britain and was involved in the 1980's TV series "Metal Mickey" (about a robot called Mickey) in which Dolenz was a producer and director.

That's right , it must have Herman of the Herman Hermits that played Len Faircloughs son.

It was one or the other.

"Herman" of Herman's Hermits is Peter Noon, from Manchester and also appeared in Coronation Street.

"Herman" of Herman's Hermits is Peter Noon, from Manchester and also appeared in Coronation Street.

That's right., he played Stanley Fairclough.