Modern Shopping Lists

GillMar

I am sitting at my computer, looking at Sheffield History Website and my printer spuks out a shopping list!!

It is my overly orderly husband who has our shopping list saved to his computer and revises it every week, especially lately when we get 10% off our bill when we go on Tuesday to shop at the local supermarket. This is for the "over sixties".

I must admit we never run out of anything but I had to stifle a giggle when the list came through for me to cast my eye over and add what I think necessary (not that I ever do).

“Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians”.

I am sitting at my computer, looking at Sheffield History Website and my printer spuks out a shopping list!! It is my overly orderly husband who has our shopping list saved to his computer and revises it every week, especially lately when we get 10% off our bill when we go on Tuesday to shop at the local supermarket. This is for the over sixties". I must admit we never run out of anything but I had to stifle a giggle when the list came through for me to cast my eye over and add what I think necessary (not that I ever do). “Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians”.

List of Swiss people that I have heard of (from a much longer list of Swiss people that I have never heard of)

Judge for yourself

Carl Jung - psychologist

Le Corbusier - architect

Giacometti - sculptor

Jean Paul Marat - revolutionary

Jean Jacques Rousseau - revolutionary

Zwingli - reformer

Albert Einstein - scientist

Sepp Blatter - FIFA president

Martina Hingis - tenis player

Roger Federer - tennis player

Erich Von Daniken - writer

Herman Hesse - nobel prize, literature

Ursula Andress - phew!

Yul Brynner - actor

Rudolph Steiner - philosopher & educator

List of Swiss people that I have heard of (from a much longer list of Swiss people that I have never heard of)

Judge for yourself

Carl Jung - psychologist

Le Corbusier - architect

Giacometti - sculptor

Zwingli - reformer

Ursula Andress - phew!

Yul Brynner - actor

No William Tell?

He had an overture written about him

I used to work with a lady who always did her shopping at the same branch of Sainsbury's. her husband set up a shopping list for her that was arranged in the order of the shelves in the store. This worked for a couple of years then suddenly the store re-arranged all the shelves, and she nearly had a breakdown!

Judge for yourself

Carl Jung - psychologist

Le Corbusier - architect

Giacometti - sculptor

Zwingli - reformer

Ursula Andress - phew!

Yul Brynner - actor

I always thought Yul Brynner was Russian born or did he become a Swiss National later?

I always thought Yul Brynner was Russian born or did he become a Swiss National later?

Yes so did I, his real name is something like Yuliy Borisovich Brynner and he came from Validivostok on Russia's Pacific coast.

Pretty much spot on Dave!

Exotic leading man of American films, famed as much for his completely bald head as for his performances, Yul Brynner masked much of his life in mystery and outright lies designed to tease people he considered gullible. It was not until the publication of the books "Yul: The Man Who Would Be King" and "Empire and Odyssey" by his son Yul "Rock" Brynner that many of the details of Brynner's early life became clear. He sometimes claimed to be a half-Swiss, half-Japanese named Taidje Khan, born on the island of Sakhalin; in reality he was the son of Boris Bryner, a Swiss-Russian engineer and inventor, and Marousia Blagovidova, the daughter of a Russian doctor. He was born in their home town of Vladivostok on 11 July 1920, and named Yuli after his grandfather Jules Bryner. When Yuli's father abandoned the family, his mother took him and his sister Vera to Harbin, Manchuria, where they attended a YMCA school. In 1934 Yuli's mother took her children to Paris. Her son was sent to the exclusive Lycée Moncelle, but his attendance was spotty. He dropped out and became a musician, playing guitar in the nightclubs among the Russian gypsies who gave him his first real sense of family.

No wonder people are confused! (From http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000989/bio )

Judge for yourself

Carl Jung - psychologist

Le Corbusier - architect

Giacometti - sculptor

Zwingli - reformer

Ursula Andress - phew!

Yul Brynner - actor

Hermann Hesse was born in Calw, Germany

Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany but attended a school in Aarau, Canton Aargau, Switzerland, a school I used to pass each day.

Yul Bryner is "assumed to be a descendant of an Aargauer family "Briner", pronunciation the same as "Bryner".

There are so many stories about him, I don't know what to believe, but I was always told he was as Swiss as Ursula Andress.

Some more Swiss:

Madame Tussaud born Anna Maria Grossholz daughter of an executor in Switzerland.

Judge for yourself

Carl Jung - psychologist

Le Corbusier - architect

Giacometti - sculptor

Zwingli - reformer

Ursula Andress - phew!

Yul Brynner - actor

Another famous Swiss man, much to my own liking and tastes,

Philippe Suchard, chocolatier

Another famous Swiss man, much to my own liking and tastes,

Philippe Suchard, chocolatier

What about Theodor Tobler (1876 - 1941)

Wow, thats the last time I copy a list from the net.

Still, nothing like a bit of controversy to get the members' thought processess working.

How boring if they had all been Swiss!

Wow, thats the last time I copy a list from the net.

Still, nothing like a bit of controversy to get the members' thought processess working.

How boring if they had all been Swiss!

It just goes to show THYLACINE, never believe what you read on the net :) especially if you are searching ancesters.

Not only Tobler and Suchard but Kunzle Cakes. The founder of the firm in Birmingham was Christian Kunzle born 1876 in Davos.

And then of course there was Louis Chevrolet from La Chaux-de-Fonds.