London Bound

RichardB

Heading "Up to London" next week, why is it always "up" to London please ?

Because the railway line that travels towards London is always called the UP line ?

You have my commiserations. :huh:

HD

My Dad said it was because it is the capital and therefore due respect.

Because the railway line that travels towards London is always called the UP line ?

You have my commiserations. :huh:

HD

My Dad said it was because it is the capital and therefore due respect.

I think that "Up Yours" comes to mind when you consider how central government divvies out largesse to London & the home counties.

"Sheffield isn't that up north somewhere".

HD

Couple of fine boozers I know of ... which should keep me entertained of an evening.

Cole Hole - Strand (across the road from the hotel Strand Palace)

The Old Bell (I think), Fleet Street, build to house the masons rebuilding St Pauls

Ye Old Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street

The Tottenham - the only pub I'vehad a pint in, left (10 yards), gome back in for another, left, walked around the block then gone back in for several more. If I owned a camera these days I'd post up a picture of the interior, just magnificent.

and a strange shaped pub at the end of Blackfriars Bridge - name unknown, but with a Historic Interiors Award.

Couple of fine boozers I know of ... which should keep me entertained of an evening.

Cole Hole - Strand (across the road from the hotel Strand Palace)

The Old Bell (I think), Fleet Street, build to house the masons rebuilding St Pauls

Ye Old Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street

The Tottenham - the only pub I'vehad a pint in, left (10 yards), gome back in for another, left, walked around the block then gone back in for several more. If I owned a camera these days I'd post up a picture of the interior, just magnificent.

and a strange shaped pub at the end of Blackfriars Bridge - name unknown, but with a Historic Interiors Award.

I've made a lifelong habit of avoiding our capital except when work commitments made it impossible to avoid.

The only pub I've been in down there was next door to Earls Court and called The Lily Langtry.

The only food available was something called faggots ( I daren't even think about that ) or a liver sausage sandwich which I tried, took one bite of, and felt sick for the rest of the day.

The pint I tried was something called Fullers and was warm, flat and tasted like tap water, London tap water, and we all know where thats been.

I've never stayed for so short a time in any pub, before or since.

Lunnon-----------You can keep it.

HD

I think that "Up Yours" comes to mind when you consider how central government divvies out largesse to London & the home counties.

"Sheffield isn't that up north somewhere".

HD

Too right HD, too much up there own backsides for the rest of us in fact.

They can forget their UP lines, I always say I am going DOWN to London because I can actually read a map (and therefore find my around without a satnav device ;-) )

On a map North is at the top (up) and South at the bottom (down)

So, at the risk of paraphrasing a well know sketch about social class (I know my place) with the 2 Ronnies and John Clesse.

Richard should be saying

"I live in Newcastle, I go DOWN to Sheffield because it is south, but I go further DOWN to London because it is further south, I know my place"

We would be saying

"i live in Sheffield, I go UP to Newcastle because it is North, but I go DOWN to London because it is South, I know my place"

And an educated Londoner ( :unsure: ) would say

"I live in London, I go UP to Sheffield because it is North, but I go furher UP to Newcastle because it is further North, I know my place"

"I'm going "up the smoke"." Discuss.

They can forget their UP lines, I always say I am going DOWN to London because I can actually read a map (and therefore find my around without a satnav device ;-) )

So, at the risk of paraphrasing a well know sketch about social class (I know my place) with the 2 Ronnies and John Clesse.

Richard should be saying

"I live in Newcastle, I go DOWN to Sheffield because it is south, but I go further DOWN to London because it is further south, I know my place"

We would be saying

"i live in Sheffield, I go UP to Newcastle because it is North, but I go DOWN to London because it is South, I know my place"

"I live in London, I go UP to Sheffield because it is North, but I go furher UP to Newcastle because it is further North, I know my place"

Richard should be saying

We would be saying

Talking of John Cleese, did you know that he owned a company producing training films and starred in them himself.

I've seen a lot of them over the years and I can assure you that they are every bit as funny as his TV or film work.

It's just a pity that they don't reach a wider audience.

Incidently I've just realised that this will be my 999th post 'so i better shut up for a while or people will think I'm a gobby old git lol

HD

Pre-Congratulations on your 1,000 posts HD, great work !

Incidently I've just realised that this will be my 999th post 'so i better shut up for a while or people will think I'm a gobby old git lol

HD

Pre-Congratulations on your 1,000 posts HD, great work !

I've just realised that you have 21,000 plus posts 'so that must make you 21 times more of a.................... Well never mind.

Anyway I've been and gorn and done it now.

Here's to my next 1000 posts and thank you for letting me participate in this most interesting forum.

HD

"I'm going "up the smoke"." Discuss.

"Up THE smoke" you say Richard, - after the riots last summer London was almost "Up IN smoke", - literally.

Why is London "The smoke"?

I thought southerners saw their bit of Britain as nice and clean and industrial northern places like Sheffield were supposed to be dirty and grimey

If Napoleon Bonaparte had actually visited and observed Britain before making his comment about us being "a Nation of shopkeepers" he would have seen that the north of England was the shop floor, the factory that produced its goods while the south, especially London, was the shop window, the nice clean showcase which promoted and sold our goods worldwide.

So I find it difficult to see why London is "the smoke"

Smoke of course, being small light particles of solid material produced during combustion always goes UP, lifted by a convection current of rising hot air.

Now there is a lot of hot air in London, mainly coming out of the Palace of Westminster! lol

So, at the risk of paraphrasing a well know sketch about social class (I know my place) with the 2 Ronnies and John Clesse. Richard should be saying "I live in Newcastle, I go DOWN to Sheffield because it is south, but I go further DOWN to London because it is further south, I know my place" We would be saying "i live in Sheffield, I go UP to Newcastle because it is North, but I go DOWN to London because it is South, I know my place" And an educated Londoner ( :unsure: ) would say "I live in London, I go UP to Sheffield because it is North, but I go furher UP to Newcastle because it is further North, I know my place"

HD

What does that make Richard, Me, Steve, Stuart and about a dozen other people who have over 1000 posts?

I've just realised that you have 21,000 plus posts 'so that must make you 21 times more of a.................... Well never mind.

Anyway I've been and gorn and done it now.

Here's to my next 1000 posts and thank you for letting me participate in this most interesting forum.

HD

Congratulations on your 1000th post HD

We love having you participate with us, some very interesting stuff in your first 1000 posts so we eagerly await your next 1000.

On my way, be there in about an hour; bored already ...

Going to the continent this summer?

Cut out the dreary south

Sail direct from Hull to Rotterdam or Zeebruge

(Taken from an old TV advert for North Sea Ferries)