Life In The Tropics

THYLACINE

Flew up to Brisbane tonight to see number one son. Step off the plane in the dark, its warm, there is not a breath of wind so the rain is falling vertically, Forest Gump fashion. I've been here for 5 hours and it has not let up. Everyone has gone to bed exhausted, most of the windows in the house are open, a lizard crawls across the kitchen ceiling, he stops and makes a chirping call like you hear in the Tarzan movies. I'm trying to beat off a mosquito but he's got me on the ankles and they're starting to itch already. Its not everyone's cup o' tea but life in the tropics is something to experience if you get the chance.

Kind of you to think of us Thylacine, but I'll stick to my temperate zone thanks, with its gently warm sun, cool breezes, and non-toxic wildlife!

(Before going abroad some years ago, my wife asked our GP about innoculations. His advice was "Don't go south of the Mediterranean, or east of Greece, then you won't need any"!)

Poor old Thylacine, he shouldn't have gone there in winter!! Durban is just the same. Seriously though, you get used to it. The only problem is when you are cold, you put more clothes on, when you are hot, you can only take so much off and then it is not a pretty sight!

Kind of you to think of us Thylacine, but I'll stick to my temperate zone thanks, with its gently warm sun, cool breezes, and non-toxic wildlife! (Before going abroad some years ago, my wife asked our GP about innoculations. His advice was "Don't go south of the Mediterranean, or east of Greece, then you won't need any"!)

I'm with you on this one Bayleaf, I'm sticking to the temperate zone.

...and your wifes doctors philosophy on foreign travel is just about in line with my own when it comes to health and safety.

Poor old Thylacine, he shouldn't have gone there in winter!! Durban is just the same. Seriously though, you get used to it. The only problem is when you are cold, you put more clothes on, when you are hot, you can only take so much off and then it is not a pretty sight!

I guess Ian, you mean Northern Hemisphere winter = summer in Auz. Our summer is Dec-Jan-Feb. What about Durban?

By the way, we have very good friends here who were white farmers in Zimbabwe. They left when their farms were 'confiscated' by Mugabe's henchmen. They went to Johannesburg for a while and then emigrated to Australia. Africa will always be home to them.

Sorry to have taken so long to comment on Thyalcine. It was tongue in cheek when I said about the rain in Durban's winters. The weather is gorgeous in Winter. Warm to hot days, cool nights with little rain. Summer is a different kettle of fish! It is hot and humid with sometimes very violent storms in the afternoon. There again, the weather patterns are changing even over her and last winter we had some bitterly cold days and it looks as though it is going that way this year. I have been her forover 40 years and it is the most beautiful, healthy country that I have ever visited. We have our problems, but at least the sun is shining with them, so it helps.