Crowder House, Longley

Edmund

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone has access to an out of print book about Longley and Southey called "It was all country then" by Sylvia Anginotti the councillor (published 1986)? It appears that there are two pages of information about Crowder House which I'd be interested in. Some of the photos from the book have recently appeared on the council Picture Sheffield.com website. They are photos of the landing and dining room and show that Crowder Hall was a cruck building - which would suggest that it was based on the original building handed over in Julyann Wilkinson's will of 1402. ( And reinforces my view that it was a travesty to knock it down in 1935 to build a row of semi's...)

Reason for my interest is that my ancestors were Crowder House Wilkinsons, I've got a definite line back to about 1600 and I'm trying for further back, so am collecting all pieces of info that I can. The family lost the house when a Cattle Dealer who was renting it went bankrupt and the house had to be mortgaged, but on the death of William Wilkinson in 1854 it was re-possessed and auctioned, Bernard Wake being the new owner.

Here's hoping!

Ted Wilkinson

I have seen that book, don't know where to lay my hands on it right now (loft emptied, "stuff" everywhere.

Miss Jane Wake, Crowder House, Barnsley Road 1905-1919.

William Wilkinson, Gentleman, Crowder House, 1837.

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone has access to an out of print book about Longley and Southey called "It was all country then" by Sylvia Anginotti the councillor (published 1986)? It appears that there are two pages of information about Crowder House which I'd be interested in. Some of the photos from the book have recently appeared on the council Picture Sheffield.com website. They are photos of the landing and dining room and show that Crowder Hall was a cruck building - which would suggest that it was based on the original building handed over in Julyann Wilkinson's will of 1402. ( And reinforces my view that it was a travesty to knock it down in 1935 to build a row of semi's...)

Reason for my interest is that my ancestors were Crowder House Wilkinsons, I've got a definite line back to about 1600 and I'm trying for further back, so am collecting all pieces of info that I can. The family lost the house when a Cattle Dealer who was renting it went bankrupt and the house had to be mortgaged, but on the death of William Wilkinson in 1854 it was re-possessed and auctioned, Bernard Wake being the new owner.

Here's hoping!

Ted Wilkinson

The home of the Wilkinson family from 1402, as proved by documents (how much earlier nobody knows), to 1859, when it was purchased by Mr. Bernard Wake. See "Crowder House" Ref: 942.74 SQ

PictureSheffield (1 of 11)

Hello, I'm hoping that someone has access to an out of print book about Longley and Southey called "It was all country then" by Sylvia Anginotti the councillor (published 1986)? It appears that there are two pages of information about Crowder House which I'd be interested in. Some of the photos from the book have recently appeared on the council Picture Sheffield.com website. They are photos of the landing and dining room and show that Crowder Hall was a cruck building - which would suggest that it was based on the original building handed over in Julyann Wilkinson's will of 1402. ( And reinforces my view that it was a travesty to knock it down in 1935 to build a row of semi's...) Reason for my interest is that my ancestors were Crowder House Wilkinsons, I've got a definite line back to about 1600 and I'm trying for further back, so am collecting all pieces of info that I can. The family lost the house when a Cattle Dealer who was renting it went bankrupt and the house had to be mortgaged, but on the death of William Wilkinson in 1854 it was re-possessed and auctioned, Bernard Wake being the new owner. Here's hoping! Ted Wilkinson

One of the oldest farmsteads in the area, Crowder House (sometimes known as Winksley House) was mentioned in deeds of 1402 when Mrs. Julyan Wilkinson quit claimed the house and the estate to her son, Henry.

In 1859 her decendants sold it to the Wake family.and was converted into a modern residence by Bernard Wake of Sheffield. All the interior fittings were preserved including oak panelling: oak doors and leaded windows. The site of the ancient house was once used by Shiregreem Methodist Church for picnics and and carol singing.

Sold to the Council it was demolished in 1937, now the site of Hereward road and Crowland Road.

See: Crowder House Ref: 942.74 SQ also Britain in Old Photographs, Shire Green, Wincobank & Ecclesfield by Brian Woodriff; Ref. 942.74 S.

PictureSheffield

You don't say where you are Ted , but there are a number of copies of the book available in the City Libraries, including several available for loan. Just in case you're one of our scattered brethren I've put a request in for it , so I'll look out the relevant bit when it arrives.

Thanks for the Library info, I'm living in Lancashire so if you can assist with the library that would be great. (I've updated my profile so should now show where I'm living)

"Merrythought" seems to be an ancient name for a chicken wishbone, and I guess used in connection with house construction relates to the wishbone like appearance of cruck beams, Was Crookes named for dwellings using this type of construction? David Hey reckons that cruck building went out of favour for houses in about 1470 and after that was only used for barns and outbuildings.

Cheers,

Ted (Ramsbottom, Lancs - all the cotton mills seem to be closed here for some reason....)

Hi Ted, I am sat reading a copy of "it Was All Country Then" edited by S Anginotti and it does have 3 pages of Crowder House. The earliest date recorded is 1395

Hello 0443,

I did get hold of the relevant 3 pages (courtesy of Bayleaf). I've found a little earlier information from the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for Ecclesfield - the father of John (husband of Julyan/Juliana) was William : "Johannes filius Willelmi & Juliana uxor ejus" was charged one groat.

So the first Wilkinson occupant I know about was William, as was the last.

Guest SylviaA

I do have copies of the book and I have a lot of other Information if Ted Wilkinson would like to contact me on 0114 xxxxxxx. Sylvia Anginotti.

------------------------------------------------

Edit: Sylvias phone number available on request, (contact a moderator)

I do have copies of the book and I have a lot of other Information if Ted Wilkinson would like to contact me on 0114 2500361. Sylvia Anginotti.

Guest Richard J Webb

I too have links to the Wilkinsons of Crowder House via Nathanial's daughter Ann who married Nicholas Timm, mentioned in Nathanial's will of 1729. Although I'm a few years late joining this thread I hope someone might be able to supply more info please. Are Sylvia or Ted reading this?

Best wishes,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

The link to Dropbox below will give you lots of info, though some is later than you will be interested in.  First port of call should be the spreadsheet " Wilkinson Family Tree" - use either Microsft Excel or LibreOffice to open it, the hyperlinks on the boxes on the tree take you to the appropriate text.

Any questions etc, you're welcome to  "private message" me via SheffieldHistory.co.uk.  Nice to hear from you!

(Link removed)

Guest Richard J Webb

Hi Edmund,

Thank you very much for the info, I emailed you earlier this week. At the moment I can only add images of births, marriages and deaths, mostly from the Ecclesfield parish register, if you've not already got them. I'm adding info to my tree and trying to find the source material myself where possible.

My friend/co-researcher/distant cousin who is also related to the Wilkinsons via the Nicholas Timm/Ann Wilkinson marriage, actually lives in a house built almost on the site of Crowder House!

Best wishes,

Richard.

Doesn't add to the information you already have but I thought you might like the article copied some years ago from the Telegraph dated 12/10/1958. 

IMG_20221104_190929.thumb.jpg.d585c47dc25784869659f7634d3995ff.jpg

• Like 2

Crowder House, Barnsley Road, Longley, showing south side as the Wilkinson family knew it. 

y00862.jpg.0a757880b91e68d874d4d1b1d46477ec.jpgy00862

Notes: The home of the Wilkinson family from 1402, as proved by documents (how much earlier nobody knows), to 1859, when it was purchased by Mr. Bernard Wake. See Crowder House Ref: 942.74 SQ. 

Showing the north side as the Wilkinsons would have known it except for the french window put in by Bernard Wake. 

y00863.jpg.0f58bee3b62030178f32c8d4d192c82f.jpgy00863

North side. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y00864&pos=25&action=zoom&id=48483

Crowder House, Barnsley Road, Longley, showing south side after alterations for Miss Jane Wake. y00865.jpg.1c47a9078e63a7e1dffe7021d0c23426.jpgy00865

Crowder House and Garden. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v01362&pos=13&action=zoom&id=43135

Originating in those parts I am always amazed at the loss of so many old properties….I suspect with the provision of Council housing in the main. In my time living at the Lane Top we have lost cottages on Elm Lane as well as old housing on Hatfield House Lane! As a matter of interest ,is Hatfield House itself still in existence?

Answering my own question. Yes it is….the grade 2 listed dwelling is now converted into 4 flats and known as Hatfield  House Crofts.

I seem to remember reading that at some stage in his life ,Joseph Hunter( author of Hunters Hallamshire) lived in the original house.