Dixon's Mill

ukelele lady

I've been told the road to Wharncliffe Side was closed this morning

so as to demolish the tall chimney tmill at Dixon's.

Our Fred Dibner wouldn't have needed the road closed, he 'd have

downed it in one.

If I hadn't have been paper hanging I would have took a visit with my camera.

It hasn't been Peter Dixons for donkey's years now.

The last time I went past it was going by the name of Georgia Pacific or some such.

I'm surprised they had to close the main road because the chimney is over towards the back of the works.

Perhaps they thought it might do a hop, skip and a jump before it fell.

Years ago they used to make a lot of newsprint as well as the locally famous Dixcel toilet rolls.

You could always tell what colour they were producing if you glanced over the bridge at Leppings Lane.

During the 70's there were problems with large rocks falling from the cliff face onto the road just below the bend.

The solution was to cover the sheer face of the cliff with a large quantity of submarine netting. This was made up of strong interlocking steel rings like gigantic chain mail. It was rock-bolted back to the stone.

It would only stop really large rocks from falling because of the mesh size.

The last time I looked it was still doing it's job although difficult to spot through the vegetation.

HD

I've been told the road to Wharncliffe Side was closed this morning

so as to demolish the tall chimney tmill at Dixon's.

Our Fred Dibner wouldn't have needed the road closed, he 'd have

downed it in one.

If I hadn't have been paper hanging I would have took a visit with my camera.

You have not missed it ukelele lady, so keep the camera handy

Hope you have finished the paper hanging by next Saturday (25 February) because that is when the chimney is due to come down, hopefully without mishap at 10.00 am.

I agree Fred would have had it down with a honk of his horn but we will have to settle for Hunter Demolition of Glasgow of all places. Main Road will be closed from 10.00 -10.15 am ....... anyone wanting a good view should make their way up to Cockshutts Lane

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.441765,-1.544094&spn=0.004659,0.009645&gl=uk&t=h&z=17

timestamp='1329584551' post='102822']

The last time I went past it was going by the name of Georgia Pacific or some such.

I'm surprised they had to close the main road because the chimney is over towards the back of the works.

Perhaps they thought it might do a hop, skip and a jump before it fell.

Years ago they used to make a lot of newsprint as well as the locally famous Dixcel toilet rolls.

You could always tell what colour they were producing if you glanced over the bridge at Leppings Lane.

During the 70's there were problems with large rocks falling from the cliff face onto the road just below the bend.

The solution was to cover the sheer face of the cliff with a large quantity of submarine netting. This was made up of strong interlocking steel rings like gigantic chain mail. It was rock-bolted back to the stone.

It would only stop really large rocks from falling because of the mesh size.

The last time I looked it was still doing it's job although difficult to spot through the vegetation.

HD

No doubt that when they demolish the chimney it will create a large dust cloud,

depending on wind direction it could drift across the main road (the A6102), causing reduced visibility.

We know it has gone through many names over the years but I suppose

we call it by the name it is best remembered for.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-bHQ-O9csTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That didn't take long did it and the road was only closed for

less than 15 mins.

I was too busy to go and film it, so thanks for posting the footage.