Norfolk Park Estate Early 70s,

s6lad

Yes I was told there used to be a chipshop there. I had no idea!

A night out boozing on Stones best bitter followed by a fish and chip supper and all you had to do was stagger around the back of the boozer. ;-)

Guest SheffBlade

A night out boozing on Stones best bitter followed by a fish and chip supper and all you had to do was stagger around the back of the boozer. ;-)

Sounds good to me lol

Sounds good to me lol

It was while it lasted, now all you get is a sermon from the Church of the Nazarine.

Two pubs on Norfolk Park Estate are now churches, I never realised it was such a religous place :o

Guest SheffBlade

It was while it lasted, now all you get is a sermon from the Church of the Nazarine.

Two pubs on Norfolk Park Estate are now churches, I never realised it was such a religios place :o

I don't think it is tbh. They do seem to be used for other things. Youth clubs (I think) and social meetings for the elderly however I really have no idea and can only go on seeing the odd thing in passing and guessing! The Captive Queen (the bottom room(s) were used for CASPA which is an after school club. They pick the kids up from school and look after them for working parents etc and have events for children in the school holidays. Basically a childcare facility.

There are no pubs at all on Norfok Park. Jervis Lum is demolished (very sad), Horse and Lion closed and for sale/let and has been for a long long while. Fellbrigg and Captive queen now 'churches'. Even the Travellers has now closed. I think the nearest is the Earl Marshall just over the hill or ones on the Arbourthorne.

Guest SheffBlade

The Jervis Lum Public House,

No longer standing.

A 1980's Photograph courtesy of member DaveH.

So nice to see a photo of this again. Many memories

So nice to see a photo of this again. Many memories

Now I can remember being in a "Quiz Team" around 1971-2 for a do at the Jervis Lum run by Norfolk Park Tennants Association in which they had invited 3 local schools to bring a team of 4 to the Jervis one evening and battle it out with the other schools.

Man Whitham selected me for the Norfolk School team, although I can't remember who the other 3 were, - I don't think it was Stuart0742 on this occasion.

The 3 schools were Ashleigh, Hurlfield and Norfolk.

On this particular occasion Norfolk came last :(

Guest transit

Now I can remember being in a "Quiz Team" around 1971-2 for a do at the Jervis Lum run by Norfolk Park Tennants Association in which they had invited 3 local schools to bring a team of 4 to the Jervis one evening and battle it out with the other schools.

Man Whitham selected me for the Norfolk School team, although I can't remember who the other 3 were, - I don't think it was Stuart0742 on this occasion.

The 3 schools were Ashleigh, Hurlfield and Norfolk.

On this particular occasion Norfolk came last :(

....can remember the NPTA had their own club beside the Jervis. Had "turns" on on Wed night -with bingo !, and youth club on Tue & Fri . ....happy days.....

Guest SheffBlade

....can remember the NPTA had their own club beside the Jervis. Had "turns" on on Wed night -with bingo !, and youth club on Tue & Fri . ....happy days.....

My Nan used to go to bingo on a Thursday and I used to have to go too (I was only a kid) as it was my Nan who brought me up. She'd lived on the estate since the 60's I believe. Moved there from Crookes as the 'new' housing was being built. I came to live there mid eighties

I loved bingo nights but we'd (kids) have to either sit and be quiet or play in the corridor he he

Now you mention it, it probably was the NPTA club and not the Jervis where we did the quiz, although when I went drinking in the Jervis a few years later it looked very familiar as the place where we had done the quiz.

The burglar known as "Spiderman" caught making his get away after a burglary on the ninth floor of a Norfolk Park tower block in the late 1970's

The burglar known as "Spiderman" caught making his get away after a burglary on the ninth floor of a Norfolk Park tower block in the late 1970's

Ha ha ha ..

But how come he's in color and the flats are in B & W ?

lol

Ha ha ha ..

But how come he's in color and the flats are in B & W ?

lol

In the 1960's and early 70's TV in Britain was mainly B&W, in America it was all colour

Also British comics like Dandy & Beano which cost 3d were in monochrome except for covers and centrespread

American comics like DC and Marvel which cost 1/6d were entirely in colour.

Norfolk Park Flats are British, Spiderman is American, they had colour, we didn't :(

In the 1960's and early 70's TV in Britain was mainly B&W, in America it was all colour

Also British comics like Dandy & Beano which cost 3d were in monochrome except for covers and centrespread

American comics like DC and Marvel which cost 1/6d were entirely in colour.

Norfolk Park Flats are British, Spiderman is American, they had colour, we didn't :(

Oh OK then, here you go with the ALL BRITISH version.

Some pictures of the Saint Aidens blocks (all 3 of them) which look out over the entrance to City Road cemetry, but viewed here from the other side on St Aidens Road near the Captive Queen.

Sorry about poor picture quality, 9.5mm subminiature film

Guest aussiejon

i lived at 15 park grange mount from 72 to 84 and went to bluestone school. happy days for me.... abyone got pics of the school or was a pupil around that time? or what about the shops any photos of them?

i lived at 15 park grange mount from 72 to 84 and went to bluestone school. happy days for me.... abyone got pics of the school or was a pupil around that time? or what about the shops any photos of them?

Hi and welcome aussiejon,

have you taken a look at the 'Norfolk Park 1980-1990's' Topic yet?

A link ... Here

Guest transit

...heres a photo from DaveH from the topic mentioned above by SteveB.......

Hi aussiejon and welcome to Sheffield History.

I have been trying to go through my old photo archive and get as much of it that is relevant on here as possible.

As Steve and transit have already said the pictures we have may not all be in this thread as there are several threads covering different aspects of the Norfolk Park estate on the site.

Looks like transit has already found you my best old archive shot of the shops and school found to date.

I know that SteveHB has also put some good pictures of the shops as they are today (mosts closed down and in a sorry state) in the other thread on the 1980's and 90's.

i lived on kenninghall drive in 72' my uncle herbert was the drummer at the midhill club,he was retired from the army and worked at davy lowes at darnall,as a lad he lived in woodhouse village,the first only time he ever left ithe enlisted in the army in sheffield,after many years service he retired as a drum major

i remember as a child he would show me his medals,he had a large scar on hishand,when i asked him how he got it he said a german did itwith a bayonet,me being a child asked ..did you kill him ?..no son ,we were both in a trench,i fell on him,he bandaged me up,we shared a *** then shook hands,he went one way i went the other

Guest Tigeratplay

I lived at Guildford View Flats at the top of Norfolk Park,I moved there in 1975, does anybody remember the caravan "chippie" that used to park on the layby near the Round Shop building, it was a small caravan fitted with a Frying Range,it was towed by the owners car, when you got too many people inside the caravan it used to tip slightly,and the boiling fat used to swill about!!!! he he , the owner never seemed to let it bother Him,Don't know what health and saftey would have made of that nowadays. lol

God!! You've made me chuckle wi that one on this awful, dreary "August" night!! Love it!! Can just imagine - I'm crying with laughter!! What GREAT days! lol

Some pictures of the Saint Aidens blocks (all 3 of them) which look out over the entrance to City Road cemetry, but viewed here from the other side on St Aidens Road near the Captive Queen.

Sorry about poor picture quality, 9.5mm subminiature film

The site of the St. Aidens blocks is hardly recognisable today

The site of the St. Aidens blocks is hardly recognisable today

Not strictly on the Norfolk Park Estate but neither is the site of the Claywood blocks recognisable today and they were the last ones to be demolished, - by dismantling rather than explosion

View from above Claywood Drive, those flats must have had a great view of the City

View from the cholera monument

On January 13th 1967 we moved into the new Jervis block on the 13th floor so pleased to have our own place with under floor heating and a view over Sheffield to die for. I had my first child in November 1968 and it was awfull when the lift broke down or we had a power cut and I had to drag the pram up all the stairs. In January 1971 when I was expecting my second child we got an exchange to a maisonette on Park Spring Drive . We had hired a van to do the move ourself assisted by friends but it was deep snow and we could not hire the van so we walked across the road with all our furniture coming back with the ones we were exchanging with. We had lots of help from the neighbours and had so many laughs sitting in the basement of the flats on a bed drinking larger and walking over the bridge with a big roll of carpet. We left the estate in 1976 to buy a nice new house but I will never forget the good neighbours and the happy times we had especially on a Saturday night after a night in The Horse and Lion when we took it in turns to go to each others flats for more drinks and supper. Thanks for the memories. he he