Arundel Street

Guest kissyface

Guest kissyface

Hi

I wondered if anyone had any further information (than already posted on the site) or old photos re Arundel Street. I'm particularly interested in in 92/92a which are the W Kay buildings and Butcher Works.

I have picked up up quite a bit until 1925 for W Kay for then I have a gap, Butcher Works I'm only just starting so any links would be really great.

Thank you.

Hello Kissyface, Frogfeatures here. Welcome to the site.

What years are you looking for please ?

Anyway, here's a bit from 1893 regarding Butcher's Wheel, Arundel Street

Frederick Ward, Spring knife manufacturer

James Laing, Comb manufacturer

Glossop & Vickers, Spring knife manufacturers

James Glossop, Spring knife manufacturer (Glossop & Vickers)

John Holmes, Sardine knife manufacturer.

Guest kissyface

Hi Frogfeatures

So far, and I only started yesterday so I've a long way to go, I've nothing from 1925 for w kay, I have nothing until 1994 for 92a and butcher works/wheel I've not even looked at yet - the info you gave is great it's definately something I can work on.

Also do you know of any history groups which meet who are interested in that part of sheffield?

Kissyface.

I know nothing of 92a ...

Check out the postings I'll be making in Their History section for other "stuff" relating to Arundel Street

Hi Frogfeatures So far, and I only started yesterday so I've a long way to go, I've nothing from 1925 for w kay, I have nothing until 1994 for 92a and butcher works/wheel I've not even looked at yet - the info you gave is great it's definately something I can work on. Also do you know of any history groups which meet who are interested in that part of sheffield? Kissyface.

Butcher's Grinding Wheel, 72 Arundel Street; after W. & S. Butcher, manufacturers of steel, files, edge tools & joiners' tools, saws, razors &c., 41 Eyre Lane & 72 Arundel Street (1893)

Hi I wondered if anyone had any further information (than already posted on the site) or old photos re Arundel Street. I'm particularly interested in in 92/92a which are the W Kay buildings and Butcher Works. I have picked up up quite a bit until 1925 for W Kay for then I have a gap, Butcher Works I'm only just starting so any links would be really great. Thank you.

and the question we ought to be considering :

is this the Butcher

after whom the Wheel is named ?

The keywords do include "William and Samuel Butcher" and the phrase "Butcher Works" ...

----------------

I think we need a Butcher Works/Butcher Wheel fella started ...

Butcher's Grinding Wheel, 72 Arundel Street; after W. & S. Butcher, manufacturers of steel, files, edge tools & joiners' tools, saws, razors &c., 41 Eyre Lane & 72 Arundel Street (1893)

Guest kissyface

hi guys

thank you for helping. wondered if you or any other interested party would mind being included in my dissertation research? I need a questionnaire answering on conservation (or lack thereof) and particularly thought this group may have some useful feedback. what do you think?

K

Thats what happens when you help students do the work they should be doing themselves

lol

Guest kissyface

cheeky. It went under a different topic. Thanks to the contributors I got some good feedback.