Hows The Weather ?

RichardB

Couple of inches, very pretty if you don't have to go anywhere!

No snow here in Inverness, the capital of the Scottish Highlands :rolleyes:

After weeks hovering around 28-30 degrees the weather finally broke and we got a welcome thunderstorm tonight.

Had to rush around closing all the windows. Water tanks all full and overflowing.

No snow here in Inverness, the capital of the Scottish Highlands :rolleyes:

No snow in Scotland and we've got loads of the stuff :o

It'snow joke is it.

Can't get car off street, MrsH walking to work.

Hoping for a bit of a thaw today otherwise I may be in the same position tomorrow.

It's the ice rather than the snow causing the problem.

After weeks hovering around 28-30 degrees the weather finally broke and we got a welcome thunderstorm tonight.

Had to rush around closing all the windows. Water tanks all full and overflowing.

Enjoying the southern hemisphere summer then B)

About four inches of the horrible stuff at Lodge Moor but it seems to be quickly thawing.

Just seen the rarely sighted, lesser spotted gritting tractor, trundle along the road outside. We must have the mother of a councillor moved in nearby recently. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

About four inches of the horrible stuff at Lodge Moor but it seems to be quickly thawing.

Just seen the rarely sighted, lesser spotted gritting tractor, trundle along the road outside. We must have the mother of a councillor moved in nearby recently. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

Pretty much the same here HD

You may have 4 inches of snow but we have about 10 centimetres which is roughly the same thing lol

If it was a tractor and not a proper gritting van is it actually the Council or is it some local farmer that has a tractor and that has a contract with the council and is paid a retainer fee to go and grit as and when it is required?

The difference is, if you get the Council grit wagon they have a set route and stick to it.

But a friendly local farmer may be talked into "Would you mind just doing a bit of a detour down this back lane cul-de-sac that I live on? Oh and you can back up onto my drive a bit if you need to turn round and go back to the route"

Just curious, but what are the winters like in Tasmania?

If it was a tractor and not a proper gritting van is it actually the Council or is it some local farmer that has a tractor and that has a contract with the council and is paid a retainer fee to go and grit as and when it is required?

The difference is, if you get the Council grit wagon they have a set route and stick to it.

But a friendly local farmer may be talked into "Would you mind just doing a bit of a detour down this back lane cul-de-sac that I live on? Oh and you can back up onto my drive a bit if you need to turn round and go back to the route"

It was one of the modern huge green John Deere tractors with wheels higher than my hat, but was pulling a Street Force gritting trailer.

Since that one went by we have had two more visitations by slightly less official looking outfits.

I'm not complaining, the road is practically clear. It's certainly not on the web-published list of primary & secondary routes to be gritted.

I think talking a friendly local farmer into diverting from his contracted route would involve serious bunce or a crate of Scottish Ale. "That diesel aint cheap lad"

HD

There's been no snow here in Cheshire but we had freezing rain yesterday and up to a balmy 4C today. Just got back from a walk round the lanes and it's really quite pleasant, even the llamas were enjoying the weather. We came back from a Nile cruise on Wednesday night, 26C when we left Luxor and -7C at Manchester airport so that was a bit of a shock to the system!

I think talking a friendly local farmer into diverting from his contracted route would involve serious bunce or a crate of Scottish Ale. "That diesel aint cheap lad"

HD

I had a friend in the steam club who had a lot of agricultural heavy vehicles, - tractors and the like, who lived out Mosborough / Eckington way on the old A616.

He had a council retainer contract to do the A616 from Mosborough through Frechville and Intake up to Manor Top and then, in the days when Manor Top was a proper roundabout, straight round and back again doing the opposite carriageway. As I lived just off the A616 on an adjoining estate road at Intake asking him to do our street was no problem, it just meant that our street was done but a 400 yard section of the A616 wasn't done on one side, with the fuel expenditure being about the same. I think it cost me a pint or two next time we were in the pub.

Back in the late 50's the City Libraries had some part-time libraries in village halls. A member of staff would go out from central to open and run them. One was in a hall at Dore, and it opened from 2-7pm.

One snowy day the female member of staff set off on the Totley bus to walk up to Dore as usual. By the time she got off the bus it was a total blizzard. Out of the snow appeared a local farmer with his tractor clearing the road. He asked what she was doing and she explained, so he told her to hop up behind him (no effete cabs in those days) and he took her up to Dore, asked what time she finished and came back for her at closing time and took her back to the bus. And in the 5 hours she was there she (unsurprisingly) didn't get a single customer!

Tell that to't youngsters today, they'd never believe you...

Just curious, but what are the winters like in Tasmania?

Because of our latitude Tasmania tends to be colder than mainland Australia which helps to keep the population low - Australians don't like the cold!

We get plenty of frosts, snow on the mountains, single figure temperatures. But beautiful sunny, cold, crisp days and relatively low rainfall.

I prefer too cold than too hot anyday - thats the Yorkshire blood in me.

Back in the late 50's the City Libraries had some part-time libraries in village halls. A member of staff would go out from central to open and run them. One was in a hall at Dore, and it opened from 2-7pm.

One snowy day the female member of staff set off on the Totley bus to walk up to Dore as usual. By the time she got off the bus it was a total blizzard. Out of the snow appeared a local farmer with his tractor clearing the road. He asked what she was doing and she explained, so he told her to hop up behind him (no effete cabs in those days) and he took her up to Dore, asked what time she finished and came back for her at closing time and took her back to the bus. And in the 5 hours she was there she (unsurprisingly) didn't get a single customer!

Tell that to't youngsters today, they'd never believe you...

There are 2 things here that the youth of today would not believe

Firstly that someone is so dedicated to their work and is so reliable that they would put themselves out to do the job they are being to do and not just phone in sick or take a day off. You don't get that sort of commitment as much these days.

Secondly that a total stranger would unselfishly offer to help someone who was struggling a bit, and even come back to help them a second time, again it's down to someone putting themselves out a bit, but for a different reason. Again, you don't get a lot of that these days either.

Because of our latitude Tasmania tends to be colder than mainland Australia which helps to keep the population low - Australians don't like the cold!

We get plenty of frosts, snow on the mountains, single figure temperatures. But beautiful sunny, cold, crisp days and relatively low rainfall.

I prefer too cold than too hot anyday - thats the Yorkshire blood in me.

As long as tha dun't go out bah't 'at an' catch thi death o'cowd.Think on! ;-)