Stan Shaw

AnnieR

I've not come across any mention on here of Stan Shaw, one of the last penknife makers in Sheffield. This knife was made by Stan for my fathers shop.

And this is one of Stan's pre Hallamshire knives. It has 13 pieces instead of the 15 that I think the Hallamshire knives have. It's marked 02. The silver engraving was done by Geoff Searstone. I remember going to his workshop in the late 60's - it was fascinating watching him work.

There are some pictures of Stan Shaw and his workshop in the Gallery Section, posted by our member Caroleve:

(note to self - must look in the Gallery section more often)

I was given a copy of this book by my parents one Christmas and it really is excellent. In it Stan says that it was seeing our family shop, Glossop's, in the market that set him on making pen knives. I used to love the display cabinet full of different knives and scissors that Dad had on the shop counter.

Guest johnbaz

Hi

I have a copy of the book and whilst I have a fair few pocket knives, I don't have one made by Stan..

I also have a copy of Tweedales 'The Sheffield Knife Book' that lists hundreds of cutlers through the ages, a superb book for any knife collector...

I do have a couple made by Taylors eyewitness, My grandmothers maiden name (on my mums side) was Needham, her grandfather (or great grandfather, can't remember which) was the Needham part in Needham, veal and Tyzack, he was the Master Cutler of the day supposedly but I can never seem to find his name any more when I search :(

I also have a few Rodgers and other pocket knives that are Sheffield made but none are anywhere near as exquisite as your Stan Shaw masterpiece!! ;-)

Cheers, John :)

Sad to hear that Stan Shaw had died   He really was a Sheffield Legend(1927-2021)

Here he is in his workshop in 1993

17 hours ago, southside said:

Sad to hear that Stan Shaw had died   He really was a Sheffield Legend(1927-2021)

Here he is in his workshop in 1993

Such a great man, if any man deserved some awards from the honours list it was Mr Shaw, he didn’t just produce pen & pocket knives, he produced pocketable works of art, a great loss not to just his family but to everyone that worked or works in the dwindling cutlery trade.