A Newbie Here - Needing Bit Help My Family Tree Too

Guest cybergran3

Guest cybergran3

hello, I have just posted this message on a Sheffield facebook page & Jim suggested I join on here.

So here goes: wonder if anyone that knows the area could help me in my family tree research. I find that my gr. gr. great grandparents Robert & Mary PONSONBY were living at 2 Tyler Street, Blackburn Road in Brightside Bierlow on the 1881 Census. They were both 55 years old & he was a Bolt Smith. I guess the areas have changed with many building pulled down, (like most places now) but maybe there is old photo of the area they lived or worked. Thank you xx

Guest cybergran3

Robert & Mary both were born in Bakewell & married in Manchester Cathedral. They moved to Cardiff, Wales & had their only child Harry/Henry. They sure moved around a bit, as I've found them on the Census all over the country. Robert died in the Sheffield area & Mary moved to Pontefract where her son was living. He brought the name PONSONBY with him, not found any other person with name before him, but plenty after as he went on to have 13 children with his wife (local Ponefract lass) Harriet nee Baggan

Anyone else researching these families?

Funny thing, Harriet's grandparents (James & Ann BAGGAN / BAGGIN) moved from Pontefract (leaving son John to marry & raise his 7 daughters in Pontefract) to live in Sheffield where they had more children. Still searching for this family, some I believed moved to Leeds.

thanks

Hope I've done this right

hello, I have just posted this message on a Sheffield facebook page & Jim suggested I join on here.

So here goes: wonder if anyone that knows the area could help me in my family tree research. I find that my gr. gr. great grandparents Robert & Mary PONSONBY were living at 2 Tyler Street, Blackburn Road in Brightside Bierlow on the 1881 Census. They were both 55 years old & he was a Bolt Smith. I guess the areas have changed with many building pulled down, (like most places now) but maybe there is old photo of the area they lived or worked. Thank you xx

hello cybergran3 - see this link for a bit of history & modern photos of Brightside

Hello and Welcome to the Site Cybergran3.

1881 Census image for other people to refer to.

1861 - no sign of him (currently).

1841, ages rounded in 1841 Census so 13 sshown as 15 would be correct. Transcribed as Panchaly.

Ponsonby Death Apr-Jun 1882

Pobert ?

Who is Jim ??

One from Elaine at SheffieldIndexers

Hi Maureen,

I believe this is Robert.

PONSONBY, Robert (, died on ?, at the age of 56).

Resided at Brightside and buried on 7 May 1882 in ? ground, .

Grave Number ?, Section ? of St. Thomas's, Brightside Cemetery, Sheffield.

Hope this helps.

Elaine Pickard

Sheffield Indexers Site Admin.

www.SheffieldIndexers.com

Ponsonby Death Apr-Jun 1882

Pobert ?

Who is Jim ??

and one from SheffieldFHS - Angela

Hello Maureen.

Could this be your James BAGGAN it is the only one I can find in our burial indexes.

30 May 1847 James BAGGAN aged 52 of Sheffield buried at Shalesmoor St Philips.

I think that Pat Swindin our projects co-ordinator may have scanned the MI's for St Thomas at Brightside. I will contact her to see if Robert PONSONBY is mentioned.

Angela Treweek

www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk