The Paragon

mickjj

I used to go to saturday matinées, remember Paragon being knocked down and replaced by Fine Fair. My parents had a small grocers on Bellhouse Road and they put it up for sale because Fine Fair prices were cheaper. I remember my Mother going to see Fine Fare opening as someone well known was there, didn't know it was Violet Carson though.

As  kid I was a regular at the Paragon's Saturday afternoon matinees. We had "Joystick" ice lollies for a treat,  made a racket when the hero ( in a white hat) emerged on his( white) mount. A man with a hat and a moustache tried to control us, without much success and we all looked forward to next Saturday's episode of Flash Gordon as we returned home....to sit in silence as the football results were announced on the radio with Dad ever hopeful of winning!!!

Thanks for the photo …which brings back memories. I had forgotten the two shops…I wonder, can anyone remember what they were? 

Not sure how true as dad could embellish a tale, in the early years of opening you were able to get a discount on your entry fee if you took a jam jar. He would have been about 18 years old when it opened. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong I have the memory of the Paragon painted in a pale green colour. Tried to get in with "our gang" all boys except me, an age range of 10 years to 4 and three quarters to see a matinee film but I was refused entry because I wasn't 5 years old.