10,000+ For Daveh

RichardB

The biggest interference to my enjoyment of Radio Luxemburg was Horace Batchelor of Keynsham, Bristol spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M; with his famous Infra Draw Method of predicting the pools. He seemed to get more air time then the music. HD

Same as the BBC, - it's was all to do with "Needle Time" and how long you could spend playing copyright, new release records (hence the "needle") as opposed to anything else. So in comes your bunch of over confident, arrogant, self opinionated, likes the sound of their own voice, never grew up silly antics disc jockeys to fill in all that extra time by spending more time talking a load of balloney and repeating themselves than they did playing the records.

Of course there were some very good disc jockeys as well and thay had alternative ways of wasting time, phone ins, requests, radio quizes by phone, discussions on topical issues, "fighting the flab", "What's the recipe today Jim?" etc... all designed to use air time without having to play records and go over the limit on needle time.

Further to this, the record companies didn't like the idea that people could record music from the radio. They wanted you to hear new records on the radio as this was like advertising and publicity to get you to go out and buy the records BUT, if someone had a tape recorder they could record the records from the radio and not bother buying the record, - a sort of piracy. To this end I am sure that disc jockeys were told to talk or make comments and noises over the beginning and end, or even in the middle of the record so that it would be impossible to record a clean, uninterrupted copy of it.

Radio Luxemburg was commercial and the BBC wasn't (still isn't) so Luxemburg could also use up air time with advertising, which raised revenue for them and of course took time away from playing records (needle time). It may be suprising then that the only advert I can easily remember from Radio Luxemburg, mainly because I quite fancied one, was for a reel to reel tape recorder which would allow you to tape their broadcasts.

It was an advert for a Walther 303 tape recorder with joystick control.

Wakey WaaaaaaKEY

The Billy Cotton Band Show

Billy Cotton's famous "Wakey Wakey call followed by his band playing his signature tune "Somebody Stole My Gal"

Wakey Wakey.MP3

I have this mp3 clip on my mobile phone set as an alarm sound and I sometimes get woken up by it when I have it set.