He Doesn't Know Where He Comes From

History dude

U guys have got to help me with this one. My Great Great Great Grandfather doesn't seem to know where he comes from! He's driving me potty thinking I've found him then it turns out to be a dead end! :angry:

OK the facts. He's called John Appleyard and was born I believe in 1805. There's a death reported for a man called John (of his age) in September 1881. He seems to have worked in the wood trade as a joiner or making cabinets. That's the easy part!

My first dead end comes from the 1881 census where it states he came from Ireland. However from others it states Yorkshire! In one it says Wakefield. :wacko:

To help you pick up the right chap his wife name is Susan born 1802 and dies 1888.

On the Sheffield Indexers 1841 census he seems to have gone by the name of Jonathan (Jno), living at Rockingham Street.

Assuming by 1881 he had memory problems he was 76! So Ireland is a red herring I think!! I tried the IGI to see if a John Appleyard was born in Wakefield in 1805. Yes there was one however he died a few years later!

The IGI site also came up with a John Appleyard born in Sheffield in 1805. His parents seem to have been John Appleyard and Mary Frudd. They crop in the 1841 census aged 70 and 65 living at Eyre Lane. However there is another John Appleyard living at Eyre Lane aged 36!

So I am truly stuck as to where John comes from! :unsure:

Help please :(

Two burials Gen. Cem,

"1845",1771,"RR126","08/08/1845","10/08/1845","Thomas","APPLEYARD","2 d.","Infant","Rockingham Street","Convulsions",,"John & Susan Appleyard","Joiner",

1840",521,"V.a.1","31/01/1840","04/02/1840","Susanna ","APPLEYARD","4 m.","Infant","Rockingham Street, Eccl.Bierl.","Teething","Ecclesall Bierlow, 1839","John & Susanna Appleyard","Joiner"

Two burials Gen. Cem,

1845, 1771, RR126, Birth 08/08/1845, Death 10/08/1845, name Thomas Appleyard, age 2 days, Infant of Rockingham Street, cause of death Convulsions, parents John & Susan Appleyard, Joiner,

1840, 521, V.a.1, Birth 31/01/1840, Death 04/02/1840, name Susanna Appleyard, age 4 months, Infant of Rockingham Street, Ecclesall.Bierlow, cause of death Teething , Ecclesall Bierlow, 1839, parents John & Susanna Appleyard, Joiner

Appleyard 1841

Other one Richard,

care of Sheffield Indexers

Appleyard, Jno of Rockingham Street, Ecclesall Bierlow. Aged 35 years.

(Piece #1333/11, folio 52a, enumeration district 23.)

wife is Susan not put down on indexers but looks like Susan,(dodgy handwriting)

Thanks for the original records everyone. Yes Richard it would be Susan though her age is wrong she would have been 38/39 depending on her birthday and when the census was taken. I don't think it's very likely that John, who married Susan, is related to the Eyre Lane family. As I said the Eyre Lane older John did have a son called John who was registered in Sheffield Cath, in 1805. But as you can see there is a younger John living with him, or a least present! Is it possible for the same John to occur in two places in the 1841 census, for example if he was visting his father?

The 1861 census shows him from Wakefield, the 1881 the last before he died, Ireland. What about the 1851 or 1871?

I did know about the young children of John and Susan. So tragic :(

I'm off the Joesph line who's also a cabinet maker! He's another trouble maker for family historians, not just me. As there was another Joesph Appleyard in Sheffield who was the brother of Walter Appleyard. From the connection with Bassets and Johnson & Appleyards Cabinet Makers, of course everyone wants to be related to them. They came down from Conisborough. But my Joseph was from Sheffield and not directly connected to them. Most of my line ended up in Burngreave Cem. where there seems to be loads of Appleyard's, so will have to have a visit with me camera when it warms up ;-)

Have you checked out the other Appleyards from Wakefield in the Sheffield 1851 census to see if they are related.

No because I don't have access to it!

Last night I noticed that the 1861 census lists my G-G-Grandfather Joseph as being a widdow :o That is something I didn't know! Of course he went on to marry again (or I would not be here) but even that seems a dam close thing. If I have all records for his line, he had 3 children with Ann his 2nd wife. Henry (my line), Annie L. Who I think married William Allcock (from the grave records at Burngreave) who died aged just 26, another early death for the family. And the third child Joseph died (1896) at just 19 :( His second wife died before Joseph in 1892 aged 55 and Annie's child with Allcock died in 1893 aged 1 month. So Joseph saw a great deal of his family intered in the ground, before he passed in 1910. :mellow:

Have joined Ancestry today and pulled up the 1851 Census for John. Turns out that the handwritten text is bad and that his wife Susan comes up as "Suri". But does confirm Wakefield again for John's birth. As a result I have searched for a birth in Wakefield and the records pulled up a John being baptised in 1805 at Horbury St Peter and St Leonard to a Joseph and Mary. It lists Joesph as a weaver! And yes the church is in Wakefield. B)

I think it might be my man! :);-)

It says by the way 25 December, so the must have gone for the Christmas service and a quick baptism lol Perhaps they were taking part in the service as Joseph & Mary? ;-)

It's great stuff Ancestry :) I like how it pulls up hints. It's great when it suggest a public tree and someone has done the work for you. But you can't take what they have done for granted. For instance someone else was interested in the Joseph Appleyard who's parents are John and Susan. But when I looked at the parents of Joe on that tree they were John and Martha :wacko: I soon spotted the error they hadn't look at the 1861 Census above were he is a Cabinet Maker, like his dad. They had the 1881 Census where Joseph is still a Cabinet Maker! But never made the link instead they took him out of Sheffield, where Joseph says he was born too, into Morley in Yorkshire I think it was :blink:

I have just joined ancestry as well and found the same as you it is no good just copying trees but they can be helpful.

Perhaps I should have said before but if anybody else is thinking of joining I got a good deal by buying a Family tree maker 2012 platinum from Amazon it was £29.99 and you get 6 months free subscription to Ancestry uk a bargain!

Have you checked out the other Appleyards from Wakefield in the Sheffield 1851 census to see if they are related.

Have now checked the Census records for 1851, using location born Wakefield and residence Sheffield. This shows up only 3 people. The first being the John I know about. Elizabeth a young servent in Broomhall. And William an Inkeeper at 79 Fargate. His family appear not to be born in Sheffield, but probably his wife's home which looks like Slade Hooton. I don't think I could establish a link between John and Elizabeth, with these facts, but John and William are close in age to be brothers.

On Ancestry someone has attached a note about William being an Inkeeper which refers to this website!