Got My Sheffield Calendar This Week!

THYLACINE

Always excited when the new calendar arrives in the post, Mum has sent one every year since the early 80's. Notable features of the 2012 calendar: it is printed in Italy and it has the name 'Leeds' in black and yellow on the front cover. Despite that, it is a wonderful mix of old (City Hall, Lyceum Theatre, Fire & Police Museum etc) and new (Winter Gardens, Millenium Galleries)

Questions : (please excuse the ignorance of a 40 year expat)

What and were is Devonshire Green?

What does 'Information Commons' mean (on a building at Sheffield Uni?)

Does the Star still produce its Golden Frame Calendar?

Does the Star still produce its Golden Frame Calendar?

It now seems to do a RETRO calender using older pictures from The Star archive.

They are quite good for a Sheffield History enthusiast

Problem is they cost about £12, but you can download and print off a better one on this site (The Official Sheffield History 2012 Calendar) for free, courtesy of SteveHB.

Questions : (please excuse the ignorance of a 40 year expat)

What and were is Devonshire Green?

What does 'Information Commons' mean (on a building at Sheffield Uni?)

1 ) Devonshire Green is an area at the end of Devonshire Street, Beyond Division Street but before it turns the corner up to West Street.

It is the site of the former prefabricated concrete section flats.

It is now a very nice open area very popular with young people and students.

2 ) No idea what Information Commons means.

Many of the people I work with are ex-Sheffield University students that came here from somewhere else, got their degree, fell in love with Sheffield and never went back home but settled here. I could try asking some of them if they know what it is.

Notable features of the 2012 calendar: it is printed in Italy and it has the name 'Leeds' in black and yellow on the front cover.

That is absolutely diabolical!!! :o

My brother works for a printing company at Attercliffe (Sheffield) and like many other printing companies in this day and age and economic climate they are always short of work and looking out for new jobs and contracts.

The printing of a local calendar could quite easily have been contracted out to a local printer, - there are plenty to chose from and I bet all of them would have gladly taken the job on.

Problem is they cost about £12, but you can download and print off a better one on this site (The Official Sheffield History 2012 Calendar) for free, courtesy of SteveHB.

Thanks Dave, I tried to download the file by clicking on this link but no luck, tells me the file cannot be found

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/297076/SH_cal_2012.zip

Can anyone please help?

Looks like the link is broken now.

It was ok a while ago when I used it.

If it can't be mended I'll email the pages to you a few at a time if you like.

I think I've still got your address.

1 ) Devonshire Green is an area at the end of Devonshire Street, Beyond Division Street but before it turns the corner up to West Street.

It is the site of the former prefabricated concrete section flats.

It is now a very nice open area very popular with young people and students.

2 ) No idea what Information Commons means.

Many of the people I work with are ex-Sheffield University students that came here from somewhere else, got their degree, fell in love with Sheffield and never went back home but settled here. I could try asking some of them if they know what it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dave but I though the prefabricated concrete flats were built Bramhall street way, hence the Bramall street flats.

I used to walk down Fitzwilliam Street or some of the other back streets to work every morning many years ago.

I can still remember the old properties, some of them still there, but wasn't the green placed after some these were demolish?

Around the top end of Trafalgar Street/ Eldon Street at the back of Devonshire Street.

Yes it probably is a lost link now.

To get over problems with the file sizes Steve chose to put the calender on an external site (I think it was called Filehosting or something similar) with a link to it rather than post it directly onto Sheffield History.

We have no control over external sites and if Filehosting let Steve post stuff on their site for free there probably was a time limit for people to download the calendar off of it.

However, vox has a copy of the downloaded calendar and so do I so all is not lost if you want a copy of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dave but I though the prefabricated concrete flats were built Bramhall street way, hence the Bramall street flats.

I used to walk down Fitzwilliam Street or some of the other back streets to work every morning many years ago.

I can still remember the old properties, some of them still there, but wasn't the green placed after some these were demolish?

Around the top end of Trafalgar Street/ Eldon Street at the back of Devonshire Street.

Not quite sure about that ukelele lady, I am going on my 2 seperate memories here seperated by about 10 years.

Before 1962 when my grandmother moved onto Park Hill Flats she lived in a an old yard / court accessible from Division street / Devonshire Street and worked in her late husbands ice cream confectionary shop (Cuneos) on the same street. I vaguely remember the end of the street was not as built up at the time but always looked as though work was going on there.

10 years later my uncle Frank lived on Broomhall Street Flats. When we used to go and visit him, which wasn't that often, I seem to remember going to the flats by the same route down Division Street / Devonshire street that we had used a decade earlier to go to my grans. The area had changed a lot by then though, many of the older buildings like my gran's old house in a court had gone (or at least it was no longer obvious where it had been) and of course the Broomhall Street flats had been built.

Since then the Broomhall Street flats have also gone, and it is not so obvious now where they once in relation to the current surrounding area.

So you are probably correct ukelele lady.

I worked at Surmanco at the time of the building of Broomhall flats and watched as it progressed.

Devonshire Green, that now is, was (more or less) the site of the prefabrication plant used when they built Broomhall Flats.

The plant was at the bottom, around Broomhall Street.

The Flats complex itself was on the opposite side of Fitzwilliam Street.

In the fifties the area that is now Devonshire Green was a large area of completely cleared ground. It was bounded by Devonshire Street on the north, Chester Street to the south and Eldon street, Fitzwilliam street on the east and west. The 1935 OS map shows it covered in densly packed back to back housing with Broomhall Street and Dee Street cutting across and in to it. I'm not sure if it was the City Fathers or the Luftwaffe who demolished it. The 1950's OS shows it as completely cleared ground. The City Fathers had big plans for a civic centre in the area immediately post war (Sheffield Re-planned) but as per usual they came to nothing.

I watched the Broomhall prefabricated flats being built further down and also saw them being demolished, what a waste.

During the fifties/sixties funfairs were held upon it and the Cinerama was erected on it, when it came to town. I think it was mainly used as car parking.

HD

In the fifties the area that is now Devonshire Green was a large area of completely cleared ground. It was bounded by Devonshire Street on the north, Chester Street to the south and Eldon street, Fitzwilliam street on the east and west. The 1935 OS map shows it covered in densly packed back to back housing with Broomhall Street and Dee Street cutting across and in to it. I'm not sure if it was the City Fathers or the Luftwaffe who demolished it. The 1950's OS shows it as completely cleared ground. The City Fathers had big plans for a civic centre in the area immediately post war (Sheffield Re-planned) but as per usual they came to nothing.

I watched the Broomhall prefabricated flats being built further down and also saw them being demolished, what a waste.

During the fifties/sixties funfairs were held upon it and the Cinerama was erected on it, when it came to town. I think it was mainly used as car parking.

HD

Could explain why, in the early 60's I remember it as a largely empty area then.

But it was always busy with workmen so perhaps without realising it I was watching work at the prefabrication site for the building of the flats.

Thank you Vox, I would like that very much!

However, vox has a copy of the downloaded calendar and so do I so all is not lost if you want a copy of it.

Thanks Dave, Vox has offered to email it. I might send a printed copy to my mum, she'll be stoked. I'll write 'printed in Australia' on the back in very discreet print! :) :)

Thanks Dave, I tried to download the file by clicking on this link but no luck, tells me the file cannot be found

http://www.filehosti...SH_cal_2012.zip

Can anyone please help?

The upload to 'filehosting.org' has a limited storage time, I will upload the calendar again and add a new link in this Topic.

I worked at Surmanco at the time of the building of Broomhall flats and watched as it progressed.

Devonshire Green, that now is, was (more or less) the site of the prefabrication plant used when they built Broomhall Flats.

The plant was at the bottom, around Broomhall Street.

The Flats complex itself was on the opposite side of Fitzwilliam Street.

Just visible, part of the prefabrication plant

Guest Barbara M

It was a car park in the early '60s when I remember it , no white lines or anything , just an open space & the rag bonfire was on it at one time. I also remember one of the first chinese restaurants called the " Rickshaw " somewhere round that area too.

I always assumed it was bomb site as there were quite a few of those in the centre of town in those days !!

Barbara

It was a car park in the early '60s when I remember it , no white lines or anything , just an open space & the rag bonfire was on it at one time. I also remember one of the first chinese restaurants called the " Rickshaw " somewhere round that area too.

I always assumed it was bomb site as there were quite a few of those in the centre of town in those days !!

Barbara

Guest Barbara M

Yes thats it !! The Rickshaw was in the building on the bottom right on Devonshire St; there were only 3 at that time, the other two were the Zing Vaa on the Moor & the Peacock in the Wicker .

I worked at Globe & Simpsons in the office, Mappin St; just off West St at the time .

Barbara

Barbara

Some of the bombing were quite local

The following text is taken from a page on the website of St. Matthews Church, Carver Street which my mother, Rene, attends.

Rene was brought up in Devonshire Street opposite the site now occupied by the Frog and Parrot pub, where her family kept an ice cream parlour and confectioners shop. As a young child of the neighbourhood she was attracted to the church, with its open doors and sense of peace within, this at a time when Carver Street was constantly busy with its many houses, businesses and industrial premises. Rene wanted to know more, and brought herself to church for Sunday mass.

All came to an end suddenly at the time of the Blitz, when the bombing of the nearby Royal Hospital caused extensive blast damage to nearby properties including Rene’s home, and all the residents were obliged to evacuate. The family went with to stay with relations who lived out of the city, but they returned within weeks; initially to assess their situation, and then, following evidence of looting, to stay in their own home for the duration of the war. In these chaotic circumstances Rene grew up, married and raised her family.

So I suppose I should ask my mum for more details really.

Source taken from

http://www.stmatthewssheffield.co.uk/St_Matthews/St_Matthews_Home.html

The 1935 OS map shows it covered in densly packed back to back housing with Broomhall Street and Dee Street cutting across and in to it. I'm not sure if it was the City Fathers or the Luftwaffe who demolished it.

I think that the photo in the link that RichardB provided, proves beyond reasonable doubt that the Luftwaffe were responsible.

There's a reference in the link to a land mine and I would think that highly likely in view of the devastation over such a wide area.

HD

I've not seen this picture before but I can spot Ernest Hills there at the top of

Fitzwilliam Street. What ever happened to them?

The A4 sized files are on a hosting site @ (www.filehosting.org),

Enter your your email address, and you should receive an email confirming a link to download

the Compressed Zipped Folder (23.0 MB) named SH_cal_2012.zip

Thank you Steve and everyone else. The calendar is on my desktop ready to go into production :)

I'm impressed, can't wait to get a few printed out

Thank you Steve and everyone else. The calendar is on my desktop ready to go into production :)

I'm impressed, can't wait to get a few printed out

Glad you are impressed with it THYLACINE.

Steve always does a good job of the calendar.

So there you, the advantages of being a Sheffield History member, you get a FREE Sheffield calendar and it's better than the one The Star charge you £12 for (That's £1 a month! :o )

..and our calendar is produced and printed in Sheffield (except yours will be printed in Tasmania lol ) and it says SHEFFIELD on the front of it! ;-)