Post removed by user

JordanLeeSmith

I would think that as a starting point on all your subjects would be the Sheffield Library or Sheffield Archives i know they will be in a position to help you along.

and I would think using the Google Custom Search (which searches this site) would be a great start point. Entering medicine as the search I found reference to Dr Davis and his translation of the French work - Treatise on Insanity.

Davis was, of course, in attendance at the birth of Queen Victoria.

He lived - well, lets leave that for now ...

A little early for your requirements, but, widespread in its day.

Buchan's Domestic Medicine

Before Mr. Gales's time this house was the residence of Dr.

Buchan, who wrote there his celebrated work, Domestic Medicine. At one

time the book was in the hands of almost every one on both sides of the

Atlantic, wherever the English language is spoken.

Brief mention of

Define "lunatic" or "lunacy" in an 1844 kind of way, just what did it mean > Were epileptics considered lunatics at that time ?

<div class="post entry-content ">In 1720 a Commission in Lunacy sat at the house of William Watson, the sign of 'The Bush' in Sheffield; and tis is the solitary note of a tavern of that name.<br />

<br />

Hartshead/Watsons Walk area.<br />

<br />

Robert Eadon Leader (1901)</div>

Lunacy versus Liberty.

September 1833, from Google Books (searched on sheffield lunacy)

The whole Society of Friends, called Quakers, are an eccentric body; and if eccentricity constitutes madness, they deserve confinement ....

Bonkers ranting

Philippe Pinel, A Treatise on Insanity; translated D D Davis (Sheffield: Cadell and Davies, 1806)

and I would think using the Google Custom Search (which searches this site) would be a great start point. Entering medicine as the search I found reference to Dr Davis and his translation of the French work - Treatise on Insanity. Davis was, of course, in attendance at the birth of Queen Victoria. He lived - well, lets leave that for now ...

I can think of a couple of Sheffield related medically related incidents that are certainly worth looking at from another, more up to date perspective:-

Possible Sources as follows.

Barry, F. 1889. Report on an epidemic of smallpox at Sheffield during 1887-88. London: Her Majesty’s Stationary Office.

Hainsworth, R. 1889. Results of investigation in the Sheffield smallpox epidemic of 1887.Leeds: Oldfield, Brooke,& Co.

A SPATIAL ANALYSIS OF THE SMALLPOX EPIDEMIC IN SHEFFIELD, UNITED KINGDOM, 1887-1888 A Thesis Submitted to the Graduate Faculty of the

Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the degree of Master of Arts in The Department of Geography and Anthropology By Ann-Marie Cain B.S., University of Louisiana at Lafayette, 2000 August 2004

Stokes, John M.A., M.D.LL.B., B.Sc.: The History of the Cholera Epidemic of 1832 in Sheffield; Sheffield J.W. Northend Limited 1921.