Inquests

Guest Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

Does anyone know where I can find on the internet the results of an inquest ?

I have sent for a death certificate for my Great Aunt Lily Ballard & to my surprise it says under cause of death " Poisoning with Ammonia taken Inadvertently " Coroner for Scarborough , inquest held 25th February 1931.This was not mentioned in the family as far as I know & now there is no one left to ask !

She lived at that time at 20 Victoria St , Scarborough & was 51 yrs old & she was in service in Scarborough but was born in Gainsborough c1879.

On the certificate it also says " Spinster , Home Duties,Daughter of Albert Charles Ballard an Iron Moulder , deceased. " Also under residence of informant it says " Certificate received from C R Royle "

If anyone has any information about how to unravel this mystery please get in touch.

Thanks in anticipation,

Barbara

Guest Barbara M

Since writing " Inquest " I have found out that it is not possible to access inquests on the Internet !! So its back to the drawing board .

Barbara

Hi from sunny Scarborough .......

Barbara, I've called into Scarborough Library today. The Local Studies archivist is on leave until later in the week, so I've left details of your request for info regarding the inquest, hopefully she will contact me if she finds anything ..... I will keep you informed.

Guest Barbara M

Thank you very much for your offer, dr stanley ....I have been racking my brains for a way forward, I will keep my fingers crossed & hope she comes up with something. You never know !!!

Cheers,

Barbara.

Here you are Barbara from the Scarborough Mercury....... seems it was a genuine but very costly mistake to make ....... a Sheffield connection too!

(Let me know if you are struggling to read them)

Guest Barbara M

Thanks for this dr Stanley , she was my grandmothers sister & I have spent quite a long time researching her & what happened to her as I never knew her , not as I did all her 4 sisters & 3 brothers.

I knew she was in sevice in Scarborough but nothing more, then managed to trace her death certificate.

Her mother was born at the Black Swan Inn, New St; Doncaster in 1849 & after marriage the family ended up living on Palmer Rd; off Greenland Rd; Sheffield , her mother lived to be 102 yrs old & I remember her as she died in 1952.

So thanks again as it has filled a another piece of my familys jigsaw .

Barbara

I have attached a photo of her mother Ann Ballard taken on her 100th bithday at Old Mill Lane , Thurgoland where she lived with her daughter & son in law.

Perhaps no wonder I washaving no luck at all !

Since writing " Inquest " I have found out that it is not possible to access inquests on the Internet !! So its back to the drawing board .

Barbara

Top notch work !

Here you are Barbara from the Scarborough Mercury....... seems it was a genuine but very costly mistake to make ....... a Sheffield connection too!

(Let me know if you are struggling to read them)